The Student Room Group

Edexcel A2 C4 Mathematics June 2016 - Official Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Zacken
I dunno when exactly it was taken off, but it's been stuck in the formula booklet for some reason for a while. Anywho, post your answer when you're done and I'll verify them.

Actually, it's still there
You can use it for many different questions in the current spec
Although, there are other methods

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Bloom77

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's not on spec. End of. You can use it, yes. But that doesn't mean it's on spec...
Original post by Bloom77

Posted from TSR Mobile

It definitely isn't on the specification, yet it doesn't hurt to know it if you wish to do so.

I agree with Zacken.
Original post by blackdiamond97
It's still on the exam solutions website as well for some reason...

Is the first one 12x+144sinθ\frac{1}{2}x+\frac{1}{44}\sin \theta + C and the second one
Unparseable latex formula:

\frac{1}{8}x-\frac{1}{160}\sin \20 theta

+ C?

EDIT: Looks like someone beat me to it, latex is hard to get the hang of :colondollar: second one should say 20

For future reference to get θ\theta type \theta :smile: Same with pi etc (\pi \mu)

You'll get used to it!
How would you go about finding the area of B and is this on the edexcel specification?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Azzer11
How would you go about finding the area of B and is this on the edexcel specification?

Posted from TSR Mobile

If you continue the second dotted line all the way to the end, things should be more clear
Original post by edothero
If you continue the second dotted line all the way to the end, things should be more clear

Yeah, that does make it straightforward thanks. It was on an Aqa paper, I hadn't seen a similar one on an edexcel paper

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Azzer11
Yeah, that does make it straightforward thanks. It was on an Aqa paper, I hadn't seen a similar one on an edexcel paper

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah I haven't seen a question like that before either, but it's good experience!
Guys, how is everyone revising for C3 and C4, considering the different style of questions Edexcel are presumably gonna use (the C1 exam for example)?

What resources would you use to practice those type of questions?
Original post by LexieA
Guys, how is everyone revising for C3 and C4, considering the different style of questions Edexcel are presumably gonna use (the C1 exam for example)?

What resources would you use to practice those type of questions?

Different style of questions? Why would they do that?
Original post by lordoftheties
Different style of questions? Why would they do that?

Those who did the C1 exam said that the paper was nothing like the past papers that they had done.

For the last two exam series, my teacher said that people came out of the exams (C3 and C4) and said it was different to the past papers they had done.

Personally, I did an IAL Chemistry paper for Unit 6 and that too was completely different to the past papers in terms of style of questions and what kind of things were asked...it threw off and shocked almost everyone...

Someone mentioned that Edexcel might have new writers who write the exams... I don't know about that but judging from the IAL paper and things I have heard about the C1 paper, and also the gradual changes made to past exam papers compared to pre-2013 papers...I fear that Edexcel might have something hell-ish in store for us...
Original post by LexieA
Someone mentioned that Edexcel might have new writers who write the exams... I don't know about that but judging from the IAL paper and things I have heard about the C1 paper, and also the gradual changes made to past exam papers compared to pre-2013 papers...I fear that Edexcel might have something hell-ish in store for us...

Seems that they're trying to reduce the mark inflation, the modal mark for most of the 18 papers each year is 75/75

I agree with your prediction :tongue:
Original post by LexieA
Those who did the C1 exam said that the paper was nothing like the past papers that they had done.

For the last two exam series, my teacher said that people came out of the exams (C3 and C4) and said it was different to the past papers they had done.

Personally, I did an IAL Chemistry paper for Unit 6 and that too was completely different to the past papers in terms of style of questions and what kind of things were asked...it threw off and shocked almost everyone...

The C1 paper was really standard.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by physicsmaths
The C1 paper was really standard.

Posted from TSR Mobile

If students come out of exams saying it is easy, then the reality is, that it was far too easy. Most papers are a mixture of easy and hard questions and everyone only talks about the stuff they couldn't do ,or was new etc. I think it is hard to point to any significant change in the edexcel papers in recent years
i have not started papers and there are a lot for c4 so i was wondering if anyone has any tips on which ones to do first? like solomon or recent papers or edexcel bronze/silver/gold papers? thanks :smile:
Original post by 1asdfghjkl1
i have not started papers and there are a lot for c4 so i was wondering if anyone has any tips on which ones to do first? like solomon or recent papers or edexcel bronze/silver/gold papers? thanks :smile:

Normal Edexcel ones.
Is there an official C3 thread ... I can't seem to find it. If so can somebody please post a link. Thanks :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Never mind I have found it :biggrin::colondollar:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by LexieA

Having done the IAL papers for Edexcel, I can say they're changing things up but it's not entirely different. They'll add a few things in to check your understanding, not your past paper knowledge! If you've done the syllabus in good depth and have a sound understanding. It shouldn't be a problem.
Original post by SaadKaleem
Having done the IAL papers for Edexcel, I can say they're changing things up but it's not entirely different. They'll add a few things in to check your understanding, not your past paper knowledge! If you've done the syllabus in good depth and have a sound understanding. It shouldn't be a problem.

Mind me asking what you found to be the most different? Do you have a link to the paper?

Quick Reply

Latest