The Student Room Group

To kill a mocking bird GCSE predictions may

CCEA English lit to kill a mocking bird and poetry unit 2 wth unseen poem anyone have question predictions for may 2016
my teacher said aunt alexandra is a likely character question for literature 1. she hasn't come up since 2006.
Original post by rflxvvrbs
my teacher said aunt alexandra is a likely character question for literature 1. she hasn't come up since 2006.

Thanks
Original post by Lifewithoutexams
Thanks

Would it just be like about racism or family? And how she's accepted into the finch family although she's black and of s lower status
Original post by I'm a babe
Would it just be like about racism or family? And how she's accepted into the finch family although she's black and of s lower status

Yes if the question is on Calpurnia, their black maid. But Aunt Alexandra is her auntie who represents women and tells Scout to be the "light in [her] father's lonely life" and to "wear dresses" rather than dungarees etc.
Original post by wildjones
Yes if the question is on Calpurnia, their black maid. But Aunt Alexandra is her auntie who represents women and tells Scout to be the "light in [her] father's lonely life" and to "wear dresses" rather than dungarees etc.

What do the glasses and the light show I don't get it
What do the glasses and the light show I don't get it

Aunt Alexandra is ignorant; all that matters to her is ensuring that Scout conforms to gender roles which Scout clearly does not want to do. By creating Calpurnia and presenting her as a maternal figure in the novel, Lee is reflecting her ideal parenting style which juxtaposes that of Aunt Alexandra's, and in this way Lee allows the reader to harbour resentment for Aunt Alexndra.

The significance of Calpurnia is much more than that. She is the bridge between the black and white community, and without Calpurnia, the conflict within Scout would not be as prominent as she realises that members of her community are prejudiced towards people of Calpurnia's skin colour; this juxtaposes the love Scout has for Calpurnia. Although Scout often reveals feelings of resentment towards Calpurnia, the resentment is due to the authority Calpurnia has rather than her skin colour. Going back to my main point, having Calpurnia in the novel allows Scout and Jem to visit the black church where they realise the solidarity and sophistication of both black community. This is of great importance as it imbues Scout with sympathy towards the black community as well as the reader as we realise that in actuality, the black community is not as terrible as we once thought it to be. This serves as a mechanism to make the ending even more tragic.
Original post by Wolfram Alpha
The significance of Calpurnia is much more than that. She is the bridge between the black and white community, and without Calpurnia, the conflict within Scout would not be as prominent as she realises that members of her community are prejudiced towards people of Calpurnia's skin colour; this juxtaposes the love Scout has for Calpurnia. Although Scout often reveals feelings of resentment towards Calpurnia, the resentment is due to the authority Calpurnia has rather than her skin colour. Going back to my main point, having Calpurnia in the novel allows Scout and Jem to visit the black church where they realise the solidarity and sophistication of both black community. This is of great importance as it imbues Scout with sympathy towards the black community as well as the reader as we realise that in actuality, the black community is not as terrible as we once thought it to be. This serves as a mechanism to make the ending even more tragic.

omg wow that was amazing thank you so much it actually helped loads
omg wow that was amazing thank you so much it actually helped loads

No problem. Who came up in your exam?
Original post by Wolfram Alpha
No problem. Who came up in your exam?

The black community and a passage on the trial
The black community and a passage on the trial

Ah, we sat the same paper then.
Original post by Lifewithoutexams
CCEA English lit to kill a mocking bird and poetry unit 2 wth unseen poem anyone have question predictions for may 2016

Brilliant book, and the movie was just as brilliant too :smile:
Why was Atticus wearing a white suit?
Ponder on that for awhile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending