The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I think it depends on the case. Cases of first degree murder where it is 100% certain that somebody committed murder, rape or terrorism, then I think the death penalty should be brought back.
But then we have the potential situation that it turns out someone was wrongly convicted, many years after we were certain they did it. We can let people out of prison cells and have their name cleared, but we can't bring them back to life.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by ODES_PDES
I am totally against the use of death penalty for any crime.

Even if the crime was the murder of all your family?
Original post by Underscore__
One person commented on what I've said, that person has also expressed some pretty ridiculous views so I wouldn't take them too seriously

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm well aware how many people have commented, I'm the one who mentioned it, it's pointless lying.
Original post by Bzzzzzb
Even if the crime was the murder of all your family?

The justice system should not be decided on by the emotional reaction of individuals.

Posted from TSR Mobile
The justice system should not be decided on by the emotional reaction of individuals.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Agreed. I just wanted to see if his opinion would change. Just because he is for or against it doesn't mean it is the law
No matter how heinous a crime, the killing of another should not be permitted. Thats my take on the matter. Killers suffer enough mentality anyway. That's the best form of punishment. Mental illness. Death is just an easy enough escape from all your problems. No.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Do you feel somebody who is a serial child rapist and murderer should be kept alive?
Original post by khana123
No matter how heinous a crime, the killing of another should not be permitted. Thats my take on the matter. Killers suffer enough mentality anyway. That's the best form of punishment. Mental illness. Death is just an easy enough escape from all your problems. No.

Yes but when they gain pleasure from their mental illness you can't possibly still think the same.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by xyz9856
Do you feel somebody who is a serial child rapist and murderer should be kept alive?

Yes. I don't see why the state should have the right to take a persons life.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yes. I don't see why the state should have the right to take a persons life.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Strange.
People are falsely accused of murder and often corrupt courts with juries selected to disadvantage the accused are used for death penalty trials. Even in reliable justice system mistakes can still occasionally be made, in the case of the deal penalty this would result in the execution of an innocent. In many countries/states the public enjoy the thrill and instant 'justice' of execution and hence the state endorses it to maintain their support (there is often a racial element to this sick enjoyment).

Most importantly, it does not work. Countries which use the death penalty continue to have the highest murder rates.
Original post by 0to100
Strange.

Care to elaborate?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Care to elaborate?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Just strange that you have a soft spot for murderers is all.
Original post by 0to100

There's a bit of a difference between having a soft spot for someone and thinking the state shouldn't kill people

Posted from TSR Mobile
There's a bit of a difference between having a soft spot for someone and thinking the state shouldn't kill people

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not today there is.
Original post by 0to100

Personally, I don't believe in the death penalty under any circumstances because I have a soft spot for humans in general. Capital punishment leads to the execution of innocent people and to more murder and crime. If we become a less compassionate and humane society as a result of the acts of murderers, then they would seem to have accomplished something.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by 0to100
Not today there is.

Which day then?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by anosmianAcrimony
Personally, I don't believe in the death penalty under any circumstances because I have a soft spot for humans in general. Capital punishment leads to the execution of innocent people and to more murder and crime. If we become a less compassionate and humane society as a result of the acts of murderers, then they would seem to have accomplished something.

Er some people are innocent who are sentenced to death but that's not the fault of cap punishment...that's the fault of investigation, prosecution and the court...at the end of the day death row or awaiting execution the guards there are generally oblivious to why the prisoners are about to be executed. There must've been a stupid and rare mistake to blame someone completely innocent of something that warrants death lol I think more ppl are innocent getting years banged up but again that's down to stupid trials. Not the existence of cap punishment. I do find it a rare necessity, only for serial killers and certain murders, I think, like kidnapping and torturing even just once and the person eventually gives up and dies after surviving for a long time. That kinda **** right there. Or killing your kids. Plain inhumane cruelty. Or terrorists.
Which day then?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Never after you read my latest post.

Latest