The Student Room Group

Working out different to mark scheme

Hello,

When doing binomial in MS1B/SS1B, I have never been taught to write out my working this way: ImageUploadedByStudent Room1463944232.870512.jpg

Instead we were taught to write out what we'd input into out calculator: binomialpdf (or binomialcdf) i.e. (Binomialpdf(50, 0.15, 6)).

I'd still get the right answer but I was wondering whether I'd be penalised by doing it this way.

Thanks.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by nemanuel96
Hello,

When doing binomial in MS1B/SS1B, I have never been taught to write out my working this way: ImageUploadedByStudent Room1463944232.870512.jpg

Instead we were taught to write out what we'd input into out calculator: binomialpdf (or binomialcdf) i.e. (Binomialpdf(50, 0.15, 6)).

I'd still get the right answer but I was wondering whether I'd be penalised by doing it this way.

Thanks.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Do you understand how they do it in the mark scheme? I'd do that method in your working out, and use your calculator to check.

Your calculator is doing all of the work for you really, and it's not showing you understand the formula for the binomial distribution, so I'm not sure if you would get marks for writing what you put into your calculator.
Reply 2
Original post by rayquaza17
Do you understand how they do it in the mark scheme? I'd do that method in your working out, and use your calculator to check.

Your calculator is doing all of the work for you really, and it's not showing you understand the formula for the binomial distribution, so I'm not sure if you would get marks for writing what you put into your calculator.

This is the "what if I just write the answer" question all over again and you generally miss a method mark or indeed all of the marks.

Binomial coefficients flow from understanding permutations and combinations and just using the calculator divorces understanding from answering questions.

You need to be able to look at the binomial coefficient formula and really understand where each part comes from in terms of Ps and Cs.
Reply 3
Original post by rayquaza17

Not at all. I'll do my best to learn it. Any help would be appreciated though.

I thought so too but our teacher seemed to not penalise us during homework/assessments/mocks.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by nerak99
This is the "what if I just write the answer" question all over again and you generally miss a method mark or indeed all of the marks.

Binomial coefficients flow from understanding permutations and combinations and just using the calculator divorces understanding from answering questions.

You need to be able to look at the binomial coefficient formula and really understand where each part comes from in terms of Ps and Cs.

Like I said, we've never actually been taught to do it this way. I have however tried to learn it - I've kind of developed the 'template' per say as to "what number goes where" when writing the expression:ImageUploadedByStudent Room1463998826.326621.jpg

Hopefully this should help, as when looking at the mark scheme it only requires you to write out the expression for the probability density function not the cumulative.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest