The Student Room Group

Unsure on how to find the exact length of AB (quadratic simultaneous equations).

Howdy :smile:.

I don't know how to get the answer on the attached question.

I solved them as quadratic simultaneous equations to get (3,-3) and (5, 1) as the points of intersection.

How do I find the exact length of AB?

Thanks
Reply 1
Original post by jojo55

I solved them as quadratic simultaneous equations to get (3,-3) and (5, 1) as the points of intersection.

Thanks

You should know that to find the distance between two points (x1,y1)(x_1, y_1) and (x2,y2)(x_2, y_2) we have the distance as d=(x1x2)2+(y1y2)2d = \sqrt{(x_1 - x_2)^2 + (y_1 - y_2)^2}.
Reply 2
Original post by jojo55

Thanks

Yes your solution of the simultaneous equation is right, So now you have two coordinates. Use the distance formula to find the length of AB.
Reply 3
Original post by Zacken
You should know that to find the distance between two points (x1,y1)(x_1, y_1) and (x2,y2)(x_2, y_2) we have the distance as d=(x1x2)2+(y1y2)2d = \sqrt{(x_1 - x_2)^2 + (y_1 - y_2)^2}.

Original post by alesha98
Yes your solution of the simultaneous equation is right, So now you have two coordinates. Use the distance formula to find the length of AB.

Thanks for the help :biggrin:.

I didn't know that equation.

I can see that it comes to SQRT(4 + 16). Which comes to the answer given.
Reply 4
Original post by jojo55
Thanks for the help :biggrin:.

I didn't know that equation.

I can see that it comes to SQRT(4 + 16). Which comes to the answer given.

It's the pythagoras equation with coordinates. If you drew the given points on a graph and sketched a triangle, you would see that the distance between the two points is the hypotenuse of the triangle with height y1 - y2 and base x1 - x2. Hence the equation.

Quick Reply

Latest