The Student Room Group

Official Edexcel Economics A Unit 2:The UK Economy- Performance and Policies - 23 May

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by zayn008
Who wants a prediction? I'm feeling pretty confident I know what's gonna come up

🙋🏼🙋🏼🙋🏼 Please, would like to know thoughts but I also think it will be like the 2015 paper as micro was
Can someone please explain to me how trade union powers is a supply side policies?Thanks, please rep and follow me!
Original post by Hot&SpicyChicken
Can someone please explain to me how trade union powers is a supply side policies?Thanks, please rep and follow me!

I could be completely wrong, but I'll say it anyway. By having a trade union employees will be more motivated as they will be treated fairly and have rights in the workplace. If employees are more motivated they will work harder, therefore becoming more productive, increasing aggregate supply. This is imposed by the government through legislation like the trade union act 2016 and is therefore a supply side policy.

Hope this helps.
Original post by Bruce267099
I could be completely wrong, but I'll say it anyway. By having a trade union employees will be more motivated as they will be treated fairly and have rights in the workplace. If employees are more motivated they will work harder, therefore becoming more productive, increasing aggregate supply. This is imposed by the government through legislation like the trade union act 2016 and is therefore a supply side policy.

Hope this helps.

Getting rid of trade unions is a supply-side policy as if there are no trade unions, they cannot demand things like higher wages and better working conditions. This makes your workforce more flexible as you can 'hire and fire' workers without running into trouble. Ideally, a country wants a workforce that is robust and flexible so therefore getting rid of trade union power allows for this.
Original post by lpjjohnson
Getting rid of trade unions is a supply-side policy as if there are no trade unions, they cannot demand things like higher wages and better working conditions. This makes your workforce more flexible as you can 'hire and fire' workers without running into trouble. Ideally, a country wants a workforce that is robust and flexible so therefore getting rid of trade union power allows for this.

Well that's economics lol, you can argue it either way :biggrin:
Original post by zayn008
Who wants a prediction? I'm feeling pretty confident I know what's gonna come up

Hi, what are you predictions?
Original post by Bruce267099

Hope this helps.

A Supply side policy has the aim to make labour markets more flexible. reduction in the power of trade unions is a supply side policy. As an evaluation you could argue that it may affect job security or motivation among workers
Reply 27
Original post by amelienine
Hi, what are you predictions?

Original post by Sam_99
🙋🏼🙋🏼🙋🏼 Please, would like to know thoughts but I also think it will be like the 2015 paper as micro was

I was thinking that this years unit 1 was extremely similar to last years old spec unit 1 for section B, however they do have 2 extracts.

But I think it's likely we could get more on Housing and Monetry policy (if it's to follow a pattern), I also think that from a not pattern view, Oil is highly likely to appear as it caused a financial crisis scare at the beginning of the year, they could also focus on fiscal policy since we all know the significance of "balancing the budget" in today's economy and its a high priority for government, it's also something they haven't focused on in previous papers. But prepare for the worst! We could end up with a 15 marker on ILO unemployment if it's the same guy who wrote unit 1
Original post by zayn008
I was thinking that this years unit 1 was extremely similar to last years old spec unit 1 for section B, however they do have 2 extracts.

But I think it's likely we could get more on Housing and Monetry policy (if it's to follow a pattern), I also think that from a not pattern view, Oil is highly likely to appear as it caused a financial crisis scare at the beginning of the year, they could also focus on fiscal policy since we all know the significance of "balancing the budget" in today's economy and its a high priority for government, it's also something they haven't focused on in previous papers. But prepare for the worst! We could end up with a 15 marker on ILO unemployment if it's the same guy who wrote unit 1

I was thinking of oil as well, I realised in the Hodder Education reference book for Unit 1 economics, house prices came up in the practice paper at the back of the book, and it came out in the real exam as well. In the Unit 2 book, there's a lot of talk on oil prices.
Original post by zayn008

Was it housing and monetary policy that came up in unit 2 as well last year?
I don't think they'll do housing for two consecutive years? the unit 1 paper was nothing like the specimen paper?
Reply 31
Was it housing and monetary policy that came up in unit 2 as well last year?

I was thinking of oil as well, I realised in the Hodder Education reference book for Unit 1 economics, house prices came up in the practice paper at the back of the book, and it came out in the real exam as well. In the Unit 2 book, there's a lot of talk on oil prices.

Yeah and they also had an extract on productivity, so that's the pattern based prediction which personally I think isn't as likely as oil prices, i think those 2 are the most significant… everyone prepares for Housing and If you're interested in economics you must be aware of oil's significance and trends but they're nice because they can link to so many things, so I'm hoping it is either housing or oil, I think we're likely to get something on Fiscal policy rather than Monetry because Monetry came up in 2015 and in the sample assessment
Why has the oil price decreasing lead to a decrease in economic growth. Also what topics do you link it to, balance of payments?
Who's ready? :')
Reply 34
Original post by xJaayyy
Who's ready? :':wink:

I not sure, I think I am and then 2 seconds later I'm like no I'm not :s-smilie: what about you :wink:
Anyone did question 2 :frown:??
I asked my friends and all of them did question 1... I think I'm regretting it now though...
Original post by unimaginable118
I asked my friends and all of them did question 1... I think I'm regretting it now though...

I did the second one, i started the first one then realised i didn't know anyhing about it so i did the second lol
I did question 1 anyone else did it?
Original post by unimaginable118

I did the second one too :smile: I thought the other one seemed harder although I did think about switching at one point. I'm sure you answered it well!
Mixed feelings about this one, seemed to focus a lot on inflation! I did the second 20 marker and linked the Financial Crisis with Fiscal Policy and slightly touched on Monetary Policy. The 15 marker was kinda strange also.

Quick Reply

Latest