The Student Room Group

AQA AS English Language - 23rd May 2016

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Thanks a lot
what is meant by a primary and secondary purpose? last minute thoughts. reply would be good thanks :smile:
Reply 82
Original post by wegotozil
what is meant by a primary and secondary purpose? last minute thoughts. reply would be good thanks :smile:

I would see the primary purpose as the main reason for the writer writing the text in the first place e.g. a newspaper article aims to inform. However, the secondary purpose suggests another reason the text may have been wrote such as a newspaper article may have a secondary purpose to persuade as the implied writer wants you to think a certain way.
If that makes sense :smile:
Good luck today you guys! Remember to stay calm and don't panic because you're gonna do great!
Good luck everyone! Stay calm, if it doesnt go that well dont worry it doesnt count!😊
Reply 85
Meh, didn't like text B.
Okay that was not as hard as I thought but I nearly ran out of time.
Original post by Rhythmical
Okay that was not as hard as I thought but I nearly ran out of time.

Yeah, timing is definitely an issue in this exam. Barely had time to read over my answers!
Original post by TheTakers
Yeah, timing is definitely an issue in this exam. Barely had time to read over my answers!

Did you struggle with the last question as I was barely able to complete it within a certain time frame, I barely scrapped it.
Did you struggle with the last question as I was barely able to complete it within a certain time frame, I barely scrapped it.

I felt like I came to a decisive conclusion albeit there was plenty more I could have written about it. I tried to leave myself five minutes to read over my answers at the end and managed to scrape two, but I didn't have enough time to read my final answer. I felt my final answer wasn't as developed as my first two, but I was rather proud of my first two and seeing as they were worth five marks more a piece, I guess it'll kind of work out? AQA really ought to accommodate with an extra ten minutes. I know that quite a lot of my friends didn't finish or left a paragraph half-complete!
I felt like I came to a decisive conclusion albeit there was plenty more I could have written about it. I tried to leave myself five minutes to read over my answers at the end and managed to scrape two, but I didn't have enough time to read my final answer. I felt my final answer wasn't as developed as my first two, but I was rather proud of my first two and seeing as they were worth five marks more a piece, I guess it'll kind of work out? AQA really ought to accommodate with an extra ten minutes. I know that quite a lot of my friends didn't finish or left a paragraph half-complete!

True. I preferred text A to text B, it was easier to discuss. However I found the topic of cycling so boring.
True. I preferred text A to text B, it was easier to discuss. However I found the topic of cycling so boring.

Oh yeah, text A was much nicer! The topic, for me, was okay? But that's probably because I absolutely hate cars (I'll probably never learn to drive!) and, consequently, my preferred mode of transport is bike. I didn't like text B because it was really quite elitist and I don't like seeing those kinds of things, but I guess in a way it gave me that to talk about in terms of representation!

I was just happy that in text A I could use the word 'antithesis'! I'd learnt it this morning so it was nice to shove it in.
I thought Text A was lacking in "things" to keep it interesting, or even easy to analyse. The problem is that the examiners expect you to spend just five minutes each on the two texts for reading and annotating, even though we clearly need longer. Although to be fair, I wrote loads for Text B - talked about how the users, maintaining some degree of anonymity as a result of using a pseudonym, can post their opinions while being emotive and expressive without fear of real-world repercussions. That is why they can refer to children as "Biohazards", or generalise non-cyclists as having "excessive weight" - simulating the kind of discourse you would see in a closed-gate community, meaning it would be generally unfriendly to non-cyclists, people curious about cycling, or possibly other cyclists who might show disdain towards the pretentiousness of other cyclists.
Oh yeah, text A was much nicer! The topic, for me, was okay? But that's probably because I absolutely hate cars (I'll probably never learn to drive!) and, consequently, my preferred mode of transport is bike. I didn't like text B because it was really quite elitist and I don't like seeing those kinds of things, but I guess in a way it gave me that to talk about in terms of representation!

I was just happy that in text A I could use the word 'antithesis'! I'd learnt it this morning so it was nice to shove it in.

I finally used cataphoric referencing for the first time lol. I wish it was about technology.
I finally used cataphoric referencing for the first time lol. I wish it was about technology.

Same here! Somebody predicted Twitter might come up and I had mindmaps made on potential things I could comment on, such as the graphology, the limited characters and then how usage of tweets and whether people still tried to write in full could represent them. Would've been nice, but oh well!
Same here! Somebody predicted Twitter might come up and I had mindmaps made on potential things I could comment on, such as the graphology, the limited characters and then how usage of tweets and whether people still tried to write in full could represent them. Would've been nice, but oh well!

Haha did you use it to reference the Olympics? Graphology was very boring, hardly anything to write about so I literally did it about the colours of the sites.
Original post by ChefExxxcellence
I thought Text A was lacking in "things" to keep it interesting, or even easy to analyse. The problem is that the examiners expect you to spend just five minutes each on the two texts for reading and annotating, even though we clearly need longer. Although to be fair, I wrote loads for Text B - talked about how the users, maintaining some degree of anonymity as a result of using a pseudonym, can post their opinions while being emotive and expressive without fear of real-world repercussions. That is why they can refer to children as "Biohazards", or generalise non-cyclists as having "excessive weight" - simulating the kind of discourse you would see in a closed-gate community, meaning it would be generally unfriendly to non-cyclists, people curious about cycling, or possibly other cyclists who might show disdain towards the pretentiousness of other cyclists.

I don't think it was lacking per say, but rather a lot of the points were kind of hard to get out of your head and onto paper and there just isn't enough thinking time.. There were technically two people being represented in that text - the writer and the athlete - and you had the writer's words and then the quotations from the athlete to comment on separately. The informality of the article too was rather peculiar, too. There definitely, definitely is not enough time for reading those texts fully! I only highlighted, never annotating because I felt the time-constraint the moment I wrote down my timings in the margin. In the comparison question, I commented on that anonymity under the idea of that the writer couldn't really express a negative opinion due to the potential of being accused of slander and what not, meanwhile the users in text B could have been as nasty and awful as they liked!
Haha did you use it to reference the Olympics? Graphology was very boring, hardly anything to write about so I literally did it about the colours of the sites.

A little bit! Most of my comments on the Olympics was mostly on how Lizzie Armitage was portrayed as being loyal which was ideal considering she's an athlete for her country. Graphology was definitely boring. I wrote a small paragraph in either the first question or the third question in which I stated the readership was probably quite high for the article as the clean and professional interface indicated money spent on a professional design.
I commented on that anonymity under the idea of that the writer couldn't really express a negative opinion due to the potential of being accused of slander and what not, meanwhile the users in text B could have been as nasty and awful as they liked!

Yes - this is what I wrote! Except I also mentioned that if Rouleur were to write negatively about Lizzie Armitstead, casual readers and other cyclists might stop reading because they expect the writing to reflect the good sportsmanship that all athletes should aspire to.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending