The Student Room Group

Edexcel economics unit 1 and 2 retakes

Scroll to see replies

Original post by anxiousaf
yeah it was policies the government applies to increase employment rate. basically supply side and fiscal policies (this is for the retake of uni 2 economics edexcel)

majority of questions were from past papers (unemployment 30 marker, question about immigration they even used the same pie chart just with different numbers, fall in the value of £)
Reply 221
I chose Q1 as soon as I saw the 30 marker, relatively nice considering the 2012 Q1 30 marker was very similar "Evaluate macroeconomic policies which may be used to reduce the level of unemployment in the UK"...
Original post by wmurch
I chose Q1 as soon as I saw the 30 marker, relatively nice considering the 2012 Q1 30 marker was very similar "Evaluate macroeconomic policies which may be used to reduce the level of unemployment in the UK"...

What did you write about for that 8 marker that asked about falling real wages
Do you think they'll accept interest rates as part of monetary policy for the 30 marker question on reducing unemployment?
Original post by epic within

Inflation rising faster than wage growth, and a lack of aggregate demand causing derived demand for labour to fall and thus wages
Reply 225

Was it asking for its affects on the current account balance, I cant specifically remember the question? I can only remember the 8 marker asking for the effects of a decreasing pound on the UK economy.

Falling AD therefore falling demand for labour (cyclical unemployment) and fixed wages falling due to inflation
Reply 227
Rough guide for Q1 30 Marker;

Up to 6 marks Identification of low and stable unemployment/full employment as a government objective (2) Identification of any macroeconomic policy as fiscal, monetary and/or supply side (reward implicit understanding) (2) Use of data indicating extent of unemployment (2) AD/AS diagram showing rightward shift in AD and/or AS curve or equivalent verbal analysis of how price level and real output are affected or PPF diagram showing rightward shift in PPF and/or a movement towards PPF (4 marks). Diagram showing AD and/or AS shifts to the right; axes labelled (1), equilibria labelled (1), AD/AS lines labelled (1), correct shift (1). No marks for diagram if shift in wrong direction. Explanation of how the policies might reduce the level of unemployment in the UK 12 marks (3 x 4 marks); Fiscal expansion through government spending increasing employment Reduction in taxation rates through borrowing or policy financed through lowering immediate tax burden increasing AD Reduction in interest rates (or increase in money supply) increasing borrowing and reducing debt payments Measures to increase incentives such as reduced marginal tax rates; Reduction in benefits. Measures to increase competitiveness and productivity through outsourcing and tenders;• Privatisation; Health care improvements; Training and education.• Increase price flexibility and signalling in the market (ie reducing the minimum wage) Reward other valid explanations Evaluation 12 marks (3 x 4 marks, OR 2 x 6 marks, OR 6 + 4 + 2 marks) Comments might include reference to Tax cuts ineffective if used to increase savings or repay debts Cuts in Bank of England’s interest rate ineffective if banks unwilling to lend or if banks do not reduce interest rates to customers Identification of common elements of both policies e.g. cutting taxes as a demand management policy as well as improvement to incentives Crowding out Long term debt payments to repay will reduce future living standards Time lag for supply side policies Depends on the elasticity of the AS• Depends on magnitude of multiplier (i.e. increased savings ratio because of lack of confidence leading to lower multiplier) Relative merits of policies which justifies prioritisation
Level Mark Descriptor Level 3 9-12 2 convincing points with at least one evaluative point Level 2 5-8 2 convincing explanations with no connections, or 1 convincing explanation with some good analysis but no evaluative point; 1 or 2 lessconvincing explanation with some evaluation Level 1 1-4 Identification of relevant points with or without brief evaluative keywords• Other things being equal Quality of written communications will be assessed in this question based on the candidate’s ability: To present an argument and conclude on the basis of that argument To organise information clearly and coherently To use economic vocabulary appropriately To use grammar, spelling and punctuation appropriately
Original post by Coolguy001
Do you think they'll accept interest rates as part of monetary policy for the 30 marker question on reducing unemployment?

I also wrote about interest rates and it's stressing me as it's not a government policy
Original post by wmurch
Was it asking for its affects on the current account balance, I cant specifically remember the question? I can only remember the 8 marker asking for the effects of a decreasing pound on the UK economy.

It was the second question asking why the wage rate was negative during 2009 and 2013
Original post by tommyprice5
Falling AD therefore falling demand for labour (cyclical unemployment) and fixed wages falling due to inflation

Yeah, I wrote about falling AD, wondering if an increase in immigration is a valid point because it decreases wages
Screen Shot 2016-05-23 at 12.13.31.png
Answer for employment and unemployment question
Reply 232
It was the second question asking why the wage rate was negative during 2009 and 2013

Oh yeah, the question was asking why wage rates may have been low during that time. I spoke about the financial credit crunch in late 08, and companies losing profits/revenue and this may cause people to lose their jobs or accept lower wage rates etc. And then I spoke about increased immigration (as there was data given) and its effects on the supply of labour. It would likely increase the supply of labour and reduce wages as its more competitive. I also mentioned that typically Eastern European workers work for less, and that this might drive down wages.
Original post by wmurch
Oh yeah, the question was asking why wage rates may have been low during that time. I spoke about the financial credit crunch in late 08, and companies losing profits/revenue and this may cause people to lose their jobs or accept lower wage rates etc. And then I spoke about increased immigration (as there was data given) and its effects on the supply of labour. It would likely increase the supply of labour and reduce wages as its more competitive. I also mentioned that typically Eastern European workers work for less, and that this might drive down wages.

This is exactly what I wrote
Reply 234
Anyone worrying about whether or not you could mention monetary policy in the 30 marker of question 1. Don't.
In the paper Jan 2013, one of the 30 markers was:
"Other than investing in education, evaluate policies a government can implementto raise living standards."
The mark scheme states:
Identification and explanation of the effects of specificpolicies - 12 marks (3 x 4 marks or 2 x 6 marks):
Increased government spending (may count asup to 3 separate policies)
Cutting tax
Monetary policy, e.g. cutting interest rates
Improved trade, e.g. export-led growth
Supply side policies (may count as up to 3separate policies)
Redistributive policies to increase livingstandards in short run and possibly long run
Improve the quality of the living standards
Therefore even if it says government in the question- monetary policy will be accepted.

Best of luck with your next exams guys :smile:
Original post by Princepieman
Did Q2, was pretty chill. 30 marker broke it into 3 bits speaking about how monetary policy affects consumers, the credit markets and firms. Threw in some real world examples. Didn't manage to finish an 8 marker properly but squeezed in time for the 12 and 16'ers. Overall a good paper.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Can you remember the questions? Specifically the 8 and 12 marker just after the question asking how CPI was calculated
Original post by usi227
Anyone worrying about whether or not you could mention monetary policy in the 30 marker of question 1. Don't.
In the paper Jan 2013, one of the 30 markers was:
"Other than investing in education, evaluate policies a government can implementto raise living standards."
The mark scheme states:
Identification and explanation of the effects of specificpolicies - 12 marks (3 x 4 marks or 2 x 6 marks):
Increased government spending (may count asup to 3 separate policies)
Cutting tax
Monetary policy, e.g. cutting interest rates
Improved trade, e.g. export-led growth
Supply side policies (may count as up to 3separate policies)
Redistributive policies to increase livingstandards in short run and possibly long run
Improve the quality of the living standards
Therefore even if it says government in the question- monetary policy will be accepted.

Best of luck with your next exams guys :smile:

Thanks
Original post by chumps52
Can you remember the questions? Specifically the 8 and 12 marker just after the question asking how CPI was calculated

one of them was about suggesting 2 factors of why the government would choose to increase the base rate and the other was about the benefits of HDI as an indicator of development. Dunno, might be way off
Original post by Princepieman
one of them was about suggesting 2 factors of why the government would choose to increase the base rate and the other was about the benefits of HDI as an indicator of development. Dunno, might be way off

Thanks, this is what I've got as the questions (can't believe I can't remember it after only a few hours haha)
Original post by chumps52
Thanks, this is what I've got as the questions (can't believe I can't remember it after only a few hours haha)

one before the 30 marker is 16 marks,

Don't remember there being anything about improving HDI but dunno

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending