The Student Room Group

OCR Latin GCSE Official Thread 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ayeshas
sameeee it was not an easy exam that language 2...probably a solid 30out of 60

More like 10 for me.
I'm really freaking out if I'm honest.
But 'tis okay. I've got English Lit to fail too.

Posted from TSR Mobile
What did everyone write for the bit when Anicetus killed Nero's mum? God I was so baffled
yay lit tomorrow :s-smilie:
Original post by exams2
tips on revising latin lit? for caesar tacitus and cicero and nisus+euryalus

I'm doing the same as you!!
Original post by TeenPolyglot
Yeah- I'm the only one in my school doing Latin :biggrin:

And Latin Language would have been easier for 2 if there was another "What English words have derived?" question, and some more comprehension. They're nice questions.

But I also couldn't get my head round what was happening- at one point, I felt like Agrippina had ended up killing Nero, and I couldn't get my head around what was active and what was passive...

But Arria is, for prose, I feel the hardest bit. The Day in the Life of Pliny is alright, the Death is pretty simple in terms of the literary criticism, it's just Arria who becomes a problem.

How is everyone revising for the prose? I am first learning the translations but I don't know how to prepare for the questions on style...
Original post by pinksplodge
How is everyone revising for the prose? I am first learning the translations but I don't know how to prepare for the questions on style...

For the style questions- I'm presuming here you mean the 10 mark and 8 mark questions, as well as some occasional 4 mark or so questions; in order to prepare for these questions, you need to gain an understanding of the texts in themselves and how the writer has used different literary techniques, such as pleonasm- more words used than necessary, asyndeton- the omission of connectives, and chiasmus- mirrored word order, as well as of course absolutely any others you can think of. With these questions, it's just asking about the writers' use of language and how this portrays something, or the effects it has. Just think English Literature on a smaller, 10 mark question level.
Reply 146
i think its more about the skill rather than learning points for the style q's as who knows what they r gonna ask
Reply 147
i thought everyone had to do ceasar tacitus etc? Whos ready for tomorrow..
Reply 148
Hi i was wondering for the death of pliny text, does this count as polyptoton?

'quieti dedit et quievit...'

because its the same word in a noun and a verb? thanks!!
Could someone post an example A* answer for a 10 or 8 mark question, preferably about Pliny?

thanks
Original post by Crobby

I should think so

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yep would say so! Good luck for tomorrow :smile:
Original post by Crobby

Everyone prepared for tomorrow?

I'm feeling okay.

If it is just all about A Day In The Life of Pliny The Elder, then I'm happy.
Reply 153

I'm feeling okay.

i only started revising this afternoon! :s-smilie: I think ive learnt the death of pliny but I need to learn day in the life and arria now! I also have to revise for drama exam which i have just before latin :frown:

I'm feeling okay.

Yeah that would be brill! :wink::biggrin: Also a really easy 8 marker and a 10 mark on a bit from The Death of Pliny the Elder about the mountain and stuff :tongue:
Any ideas for the 8-marker?
Original post by euryalus
What did everyone write for the bit when Anicetus killed Nero's mum? God I was so baffled

Me too those 2 lines messed everything up for me.

I'm feeling okay.

Need to do death still and day in the life annotation uh oh. Anyways good luck everyone.

I'm feeling okay.

i agree!
Hey guys! Quick question: do we HAVE to include analysis for both of the suggested bullet points in the 10 mark question? Because they usually say "You MAY include:...." which suggests that you don't need to. Thanks in advance!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending