The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Don't know much about him, he's bound to be an upgrade on Bogdan though.
Original post by A Mysterious Lord

Spent a couple of years at Man City as a youngster so should have some grasp of English already (usually Germans have a good base level too though).

Has over 90 appearances for Mainz despite being exactly the same age as Danny Ward.

Seems highly rated in Germany even at his young age.
Original post by A Mysterious Lord

He is 22 and has scope to improve which is encouraging. Seems to be highly rated but we need to see for ourselves how he does against the West Broms.
I think Karius comes not starting immediately but he'll take first team job sooner rather than later.
Original post by Malevolent
I think Karius comes not starting immediately but he'll take first team job sooner rather than later.

Depends on how long it will take for Mignolet to make his first flap of the season.
Original post by Malevolent

Hard to judge - yes Karius is very young but 90 appearances for Mainz isn't to be sniffed at. If he joins now, he'll get the full pre-season to train. Mignolet will go away with the Euros I think?

Mignolet's stock has fallen so far it's hard to see him keeping his spot? But yes less obvious than signing a big name..

Maybe we give him half a season to get used to the league?
Original post by Zerforax
Hard to judge - yes Karius is very young but 90 appearances for Mainz isn't to be sniffed at. If he joins now, he'll get the full pre-season to train. Mignolet will go away with the Euros I think?

Mignolet's stock has fallen so far it's hard to see him keeping his spot? But yes less obvious than signing a big name..

Maybe we give him half a season to get used to the league?

I know he's young but he's viewed rather highly. Thats what I was thinking give him some time to get used to things and then just give him the job. See how he does in the FA cup games/ Carling cup then go from there. I do however believe he'll take the job from Mignolet unless this new competition makes Mignolet go into god mode.
Gotze announcing he's staying at Bayern

Lol'd hard.
Original post by Dirtybit
Gotze announcing he's staying at Bayern

Lol'd hard.

So he's not even considering going back to Dortmund either? Probably thinks he will get better opportunities under Ancelotti but I doubt it with Bayern bringing in Sanches. Can see Dortmund snapping him up for free next summer if he doesn't sign a new contract.
(edited 7 years ago)
Gotze was always going to be tough to lure to Anfield. Tbh it will depend on whether Ancelotti wants him or not.
Original post by samir12
So he's not even considering going back to Dortmund either? Probably thinks he will get better opportunities under Ancelotti but I doubt it with Bayern bringing in Sanches.

https://twitter.com/iMiaSanMia/status/734729613939728384 They have quotes so it's not just rumours

Gotze and Sanches won't be competing for the same spot though
https://twitter.com/iMiaSanMia/status/734729613939728384 They have quotes so it's not just rumours

Still will be tough competition for Gotze, depends on Ancelotti's plans I guess. Better off moving back to Dortmund now imo.
Original post by samir12
Still will be tough competition for Gotze, depends on Ancelotti's plans I guess. Better off moving back to Dortmund now imo.

Can't blame the guy for having high ambitions and not wanting to give up.
Can't blame the guy for having high ambitions and not wanting to give up.

That's true, guranteed league titles every season isn't bad really xD.

Maybe not directly (although some overlap in AM potentially) but with Sanches playing CM, it makes it less likely that Thiago will play CM and would play more at AM for example.

Playing significantly less games in your 3rd season at a club isn't really the direction you want to head. Gotze played just over 1000 minutes last season. By comparison Emre Can played over 3600 minutes.

All well and good wanting to win trophies but aged 23, Gozte should be focusing on continuing to develop and showcase his talent. Fair enough if he thinks he can learn by training with that Bayern squad but minutes on the pitch will define how his career is viewed.
(edited 7 years ago)
Gotze story on The Guardian now.

"I look forward to the new season in Munich and will do everything possible to be in top shape for my first training session under Carlo Ancelotti," he said.
Original post by Zerforax
Maybe not directly (although some overlap in AM potentially) but with Sanches playing CM, it makes it less likely that Thiago will play CM and would play more at AM for example.

Playing significantly less games in your 3rd season at a club isn't really the direction you want to head. Gotze played just over 1000 minutes last season. By comparison Emre Can played over 3600 minutes.

All well and good wanting to win trophies but aged 23, Gozte should be focusing on continuing to develop and showcase his talent. Fair enough if he thinks he can learn by training with that Bayern squad but minutes on the pitch will define how his career is viewed.

Lol at thinking you know what's best for Gotze more than he does.

Just re-iterating what Joachim Low suggested for Gotze :h:

Well you can also say "Lol at us fans thinking we know what's best for our club more than the club does." Doesn't stop us from discussing though.
Thought Klopp had pulling power - obvs overrated.

Apparently Gotze parted with his agent today.

Latest