The Student Room Group

National 5 Physics 2015-2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by sameehaiqbal
Here I did the questions for you

13250487_1547241188915221_497196615_n.jpg

Attachment not found

When you say the angle of water needs to be smaller than the angle or air. Is the angle you are talking about measured from the normal line to the ray ?

Wow Wow Wow, you never fail to impress me, haha

Thank you very much !
Original post by Hey234
I need help with Sqa 2014 paper 2 qu2 please.

Okay well you want to find out the resistance of the thermistor but to do that you need the current which we don't have.

You can attain this by doing:

V2 = Vs - V1 = 3.0

To find the current: I= V2/R
= 3.0/1050
= 0.00285714

Then
R= V1/I
= 2.0/0.00285714
= 700 OHMS
Original post by Ethan100
When you say the angle of water needs to be smaller than the angle or air. Is the angle you are talking about measured from the normal line to the ray ?

Wow Wow Wow, you never fail to impress me, haha

Thank you very much !

Yes. Thats correct
I got 65% on the specimen paper. What is that as a grade?
I got 65% on the specimen paper. What is that as a grade?

The notional grade boundaries are:
A 70% +
B 60% - 69%
C 50% - 59%
D 45% - 49%
No Award 0% - 44%

Note that each exam is different and so grade boundaries can be adjusted accordingly, just like last years higher maths exam, and probably this year nat 5 exam, the grade boundary was adjusted to 34% for a C.
So to answer your question, 65% is a B. :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Tayls102
The notional grade boundaries are:
A 70% +
B 60% - 69%
C 50% - 59%
D 45% - 49%
No Award 0% - 44%

Note that each exam is different and so grade boundaries can be adjusted accordingly, just like last years higher maths exam, and probably this year nat 5 exam, the grade boundary was adjusted to 35% for a C.
So to answer your question, 65% is a B. :smile:

Urghh. Really wanted to get an A but oh well I'm happy with B. Guess i'll do more questions and go over the topics again :smile: Thank you xx
Im so exhausted. Been spending all day doing endless questions and note taking. I dunno how I'm going to revise for uni exams if I find this revision so tiring! :frown:

My brain is literally fried. I think after the exam I may pass out :rofl:
Urghh. Really wanted to get an A but oh well I'm happy with B. Guess i'll do more questions and go over the topics again :smile: Thank you xx

Maybe it has something to do with doing papers at 2am in the morning??? :biggrin: working too hard won't help a lot.
Original post by Tayls102
Maybe it has something to do with doing papers at 2am in the morning??? :biggrin: working too hard won't help a lot.

Omg you're right lmao :rofl:
Does anyone know how to do Question 3 on the 2015 past paper. It's so obscure...
Original post by scottishguyy
Does anyone know how to do Question 3 on the 2015 past paper. It's so obscure...

Multiple choice or section two?? x

For Q3 on multiple choice you have to use the resistance in parallel rules.

So 1/RT = 1/R1 +1/R2 ....

The two resistors with 4 ohms are in parallel so use the formula above to find the resistance IN PARALLEL.
Then the 4 ohm resistor at X should be added as it's in SERIES.
Then that's you final answer :smile:

For Q3 on section 2, what part are you stuck on?

I'm guessing it's section two Question 3 :smile:

3a. (i) - As you can see from the diagram, position Y is more closer (in length/distance) to the steel sample than Position X therefore Position Y will be transmitted in less time than Position X. Therefore you can easily identify that the time taken between the pulse being transmitted and received at Position X is 15microseconds

(ii) - You want to calculate the length of the steel sample i.e it's width at position X (i don't know if I'm making sense but just let me know if i'm confusing you). You are given the speed of ultrasound in steel which is 5200ms-1. And you have also concluded from the previous question that the time for Position X to be transmitted and received is 15microseconds. Therefore you can use d=vt to calculate the distance of the steel sample.

Note: the time is in microseconds so do d=5200 x 15x10-6. This equals to 0.078m.

Then to calculate the thickness you divide 0.078 by 2 to get 0.039m.

b. So from the graphs and diagrams you have concluded that Position X has a longer distance than Position Y. However position Z is in between them. So you would just draw a line that is between Position X and Position Y to get the mark.

c. (i) - Simply do f=1/T. i.e f= 1/4.0x10-6 (because 4.0 is in microseconds) and you should get the answer 2.5x10^5

(ii) - You would use v=fWavelength
wavelength=v/f
= 5200/2.5x10^5
= 0.021m

d - The speed of ultrasound in brass will be less than steel because in brass it takes longer for it to travel the same thickness.

Hope this helps :smile:
Reply 313
I'm guessing it's section two Question 3 :smile:

3a. (i) - As you can see from the diagram, position Y is more closer (in length/distance) to the steel sample than Position X therefore Position Y will be transmitted in less time than Position X. Therefore you can easily identify that the time taken between the pulse being transmitted and received at Position X is 15microseconds

(ii) - You want to calculate the length of the steel sample i.e it's width at position X (i don't know if I'm making sense but just let me know if i'm confusing you). You are given the speed of ultrasound in steel which is 5200ms-1. And you have also concluded from the previous question that the time for Position X to be transmitted and received is 15microseconds. Therefore you can use d=vt to calculate the distance of the steel sample.

Note: the time is in microseconds so do d=5200 x 15x10-6. This equals to 0.078m.

Then to calculate the thickness you divide 0.078 by 2 to get 0.039m.

b. So from the graphs and diagrams you have concluded that Position X has a longer distance than Position Y. However position Z is in between them. So you would just draw a line that is between Position X and Position Y to get the mark.

c. (i) - Simply do f=1/T. i.e f= 1/4.0x10-6 (because 4.0 is in microseconds) and you should get the answer 2.5x10^5

(ii) - You would use v=fWavelength
wavelength=v/f
= 5200/2.5x10^5
= 0.021m

d - The speed of ultrasound in brass will be less than steel because in brass it takes longer for it to travel the same thickness.

Hope this helps :smile:

JHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEZ!

Why are you only getting 65% in the past paper?

You should be getting A's, you seem very well prepared

Smart.
Original post by Ismee
JHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEZ!

Why are you only getting 65% in the past paper?

You should be getting A's, you seem very well prepared

Smart.

Haha i'm really not, I'm quite nervous for the exam tbh.
I got 65% because I missed out an entire question on half life - forgot to revise it, i'm doing it now.
And also I didn't like one of the open ended questions in that specimen paper, skipped that too :/
Is this correct ....??

Volume increases = Pressure decreases
Temperature Increases = Pressure increases
Tenperature increases = Volume increases
Is this correct ....??

Volume increases = Pressure decreases
Temperature Increases = Pressure increases
Tenperature increases = Volume increases

Yeah thats right
How do you change a volume from litres to m^3 ?
How do you change a volume from litres to m^3 ?

What question is that?
1 litre of Helium gas stored at a pressure of 800k Pa in a cylinder is released to fill a 5 litre party balloon. What is the pressure of the gas inside the balloon?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending