The Student Room Group

Do You Think Education is Dumbed Down?

Do you think education as a whole is made to easy and could be made harder for any reason?

Scroll to see replies

I think standards are very low compared to the past. People may have left school at an early age previously, but a lot of them did get a good education and were writing sophisticated poetry at grammar schools when they were just 15, you'd be lucky to find someone doing that at university these days.

Maybe it's still the same for the upper tier of society, but there does appear to be a real lack of standards in 'modern' society.
Dumbed down? m8 did you not see this year's maths C1 paper?
Reply 3
Original post by George VI
I think standards are very low compared to the past. People may have left school at an early age previously, but a lot of them did get a good education and were writing sophisticated poetry at grammar schools when they were just 15, you'd be lucky to find someone doing that at university these days.

Maybe it's still the same for the upper tier of society, but there does appear to be a real lack of standards in 'modern' society.

I agree though I went to a normal school and was into rap which might be considered poetry in some circles?

Original post by Retired_Messiah

No I didn't were they doing Calculus?
Original post by Thomb
No I didn't were they doing Calculus?

Calculus comes as standard in a C1, but it was quite a bit more difficult than any C1 paper previously.

Take a look at similar papers from fourty years ago, I think they can be found online.

And no, rap does not count as poetry.
Reply 6
Calculus comes as standard in a C1, but it was quite a bit more difficult than any C1 paper previously.

Sorry I realise now you're talking about a level it used to be standard GCSE stuff.
Reply 7
Take a look at similar papers from fourty years ago, I think they can be found online.

I was chilling with mi fam down' mi exam when I bumped into a fan of dumbing' down now I wear the crown of biggin' up mi man who likes to be the clan of george VI damn.

Yes it is.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Thomb
I was chilling with mi fav down' mi exam when I bumped into a fan of dumbing' down now I wear the crown of bigger up mi man who likes to be the clan of george VI damn.

Yes it is.

I don't think so, you have to understand to begin with by the time they were 15 they would be writing poetry in Latin, have a good knowledge of the bible, and a rich knowledge of literature.

Rap demonstrates very low literary skill, no sophisticated satire, humour, puns, or any clever word play just basic rhyming, and it rarely deals with complex themes.

I mean, the example you give, it rhymes in a childish sense, the theme is chilling, there is no complex use of language, there is not even an alteration of grammar for modernist reasons
Reply 9
I don't think so, you have to understand to begin with by the time they were 15 they would be writing poetry in Latin, have a good knowledge of the bible, and a rich knowledge of literature.

Rap demonstrates very low literary skill, no sophisticated satire, humour, puns, or any clever word play just basic rhyming, and it rarely deals with complex themes.

I mean, the example you give, it rhymes in a childish sense, the theme is chilling, there is no complex use of language, there is not even an alteration of grammar for modernist reasons

I dispute all of that about rap except the last paragraph. There are some very talented rappers out there.
Original post by Thomb
I dispute all of that except the last paragraph. There are some very talented rappers out there.

Give an example and i'll show you why the literary quality is very bad comparatively to good poetry.
Reply 11
[video="youtube;WUFOw434ENQ"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WUFOw434ENQ[/video]

An apt beginning...
Reply 12

Look at some Indian or Chinese papers for 17 year olds
Reply 13
Original post by M14B

And?
Original post by M14B

piss I've really dropped myself in it 'ere haven't I

These are the kinds of people we have writing our English GCSE literature o.o
Original post by M14B

I don't think people in this country understand quite how bad things will be for us in the future at this rate. We are raising a generation of self loathing, rude yobs, meanwhile the poorer nations are working towards actual improvement of conditions. And the ironic thing is, many Indians I have met have nothing more than praise for the past of Britain!
Reply 17
piss I've really dropped myself in it 'ere haven't I

Why? You don't have to literally do what they say just say well that's irrelevant to the question, why? Because you're dumbing down the thread with your mediocrity.
Reply 18
I don't think people in this country understand quite how bad things will be for us in the future at this rate. We are raising a generation of self loathing, rude yobs, meanwhile the poorer nations are working towards actual improvement of conditions. And the ironic thing is, many Indians I have met have nothing more than praise for the past of Britain!

I suppose in your ideal world we would all be GVI?
Original post by Thomb
I suppose in your ideal world we would all be GVI?

Why not? A great man who refused to leave London while it was being bombed by the Germans, overcame his stutter, replaced his useless brother who would have made peace with Germany, a man who snubbed his South African body guards as the Gestapo because of their support of apartheid.

I don't think we should all be clones of anyone, everyone has eccentricities, but there are far worse people to be than George VI

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending