The Student Room Group

AQA Sociology Unit 1 17/05 & Unit 2 23/05 - Official Thread 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by bizzy_penguin
ah questionnaires :biggrin: documents would be quite nice too as would stats
i'm finding the timing OK, so I don't know if that's a good or bad thing tbh

I think it was because i spent so long thinking about the 10 marker which was very vague luckily wrote the right thing 😃
Original post by Bubbles98
I think it was because i spent so long thinking about the 10 marker which was very vague luckily wrote the right thing 😃

ikr - i wonder who wrote those q's... ah that one was the policies question wasn't it :biggrin:
Reply 762
You don't really have to revise research methods I don't think?

Just learn some studies (eg Venkatesh) I suppose but that's it.
hi
for research methods we were told to do:

introduction - reword question, define any key terms, e.g. say group interviews were used in the question - define that

PETPETPET paragraphs - basically practical, ethical, & theoretical advantages & disadvantages of the method, answer question, link to the item, add relevant sociologist studies, maybe compare studies. (also u need to link to the item @ least x3 times or more to get more marks

& a conclusion

also our teacher said you need to include a lot of sociologists in 20 mark questions to get anywhere near full marks otherwise you won't get any more than 6 marks for it.

Thank you for your response. I didn't think there were enough sociologists for the research methods topic to talk about .😰 For example - if the question was 20 marks and asked us about disadvantages of interviews, we would have to definitely name sociologists?
Can you please give me an example

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Rachypoox
You're really freaking me out 😭 Where are you getting huge chunks on industrilisation?? Ive got a small paragraph on it for functionalist view 😭😭😭

idk our teacher gave our class this revision booklet which concludes of:
the pre-industrial family, urbanization of families, dominant extended families, early industrial families, young & willmott, modified extended family, dispersed extended family & contacts with relatives in 1995

but there's been no evidence industrialisation has been on any aqa sociology past papers... :biggrin:so maybe i will pray it won't come up or it it does for small mark question...
idk our teacher gave our class this revision booklet which concludes of:
the pre-industrial family, urbanization of families, dominant extended families, early industrial families, young & willmott, modified extended family, dispersed extended family & contacts with relatives in 1995

but there's been no evidence industrialisation has been on any aqa sociology past papers... :biggrin:so maybe i will pray it won't come up or it it does for small mark question...

I have the revision guide on this and they made by the key examiners of this, they wouldnt ask anything like that I dont think- lets hope not anyway!
Original post by Sanniabir
Thank you for your response. I didn't think there were enough sociologists for the research methods topic to talk about .😰 For example - if the question was 20 marks and asked us about disadvantages of interviews, we would have to definitely name sociologists?
Can you please give me an example

Posted from TSR Mobile

I've just had a look, so it would mostly be strengths & limitations you would have to explain... so I want to make a disclaimer in case my info isn't right! (it should be the exams tomorrow though...), its similar to education except its just the method... there's isn't as many sociologists in this section, so as long as you mention relevant one's when necessary you should be fine - do you use the red as level sociology textbook?

there was : Goffman (1969) - impression management - researching teachers (page 103 for the red textbook)

Hill (2005) - researching pupils - page 101 - red textbook

you can use the Office for National Statistics for official statistics

Milgram (1974) - ethical problems - deception - pg 110

Mayo - the hawthorne effect - pg. 110

Durkheim's study of suicide - pg 111

also there's a bibliography @ the back of the red textbook for the studies, which are also quite helpful :h:
Original post by 10studentlife
I have the revision guide on this and they made by the key examiners of this, they wouldnt ask anything like that I dont think- lets hope not anyway!

I hope not, so I ain't revising that anyway... i might just revise young & willmott just to be safe :biggrin:I have better things to revise like... DEMoGraphy!!!! :frown:
I have some stuff on migration trends and effects on fertility and stuff but so far I don't think I have anything else? Only stuff I have on Globalisation is the changing structure of the family enabling social and geographical mobility etc? Also Globalisation enables more emigration/immigration.

What am I missing !!??
I've just had a look, so it would mostly be strengths & limitations you would have to explain... so I want to make a disclaimer in case my info isn't right! (it should be the exams tomorrow though...), its similar to education except its just the method... there's isn't as many sociologists in this section, so as long as you mention relevant one's when necessary you should be fine - do you use the red as level sociology textbook?

there was : Goffman (1969) - impression management - researching teachers (page 103 for the red textbook)

Hill (2005) - researching pupils - page 101 - red textbook

you can use the Office for National Statistics for official statistics

Milgram (1974) - ethical problems - deception - pg 110

Mayo - the hawthorne effect - pg. 110

Durkheim's study of suicide - pg 111

also there's a bibliography @ the back of the red textbook for the studies, which are also quite helpful :h:

Thanks a lot. I appreciate it

Posted from TSR Mobile
Does anybody think the 20 marker will be on Marxist or feminist perspectives of the family?
Original post by Louise12307
I have some stuff on migration trends and effects on fertility and stuff but so far I don't think I have anything else? Only stuff I have on Globalisation is the changing structure of the family enabling social and geographical mobility etc? Also Globalisation enables more emigration/immigration.

What am I missing !!??

Do you have all the terms like differentiation, migrant identities, assimilation and muliticulturalism
Original post by RachelCx99
Does anybody think the 20 marker will be on Marxist or feminist perspectives of the family?

I have saw feminism predicted a few times! Hopefully it is one or them they are nice topics
Could someone please help me with family diversity !! I can never remember it at all whats the likelihood of it being the 20 marker

Does anyone have summarised notes on it
I have saw feminism predicted a few times! Hopefully it is one or them they are nice topics

For ten markers do you have to mention sociologists? Will you lose marks if you don't ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
What on earth is migrant identities????

Isn't assimilation the way that the government tries to internalise immigrants into the culture

Multiculturalism is the view that diversity should be celebrated and immigration has lots of benefits

Differentiation ? It depends on th context of the term. You mean structural differentiation? Division by class etc?
hi
for research methods we were told to do:

introduction - reword question, define any key terms, e.g. say group interviews were used in the question - define that

PETPETPET paragraphs - basically practical, ethical, & theoretical advantages & disadvantages of the method, answer question, link to the item, add relevant sociologist studies, maybe compare studies. (also u need to link to the item @ least x3 times or more to get more marks

& a conclusion

also our teacher said you need to include a lot of sociologists in 20 mark questions to get anywhere near full marks otherwise you won't get any more than 6 marks for it.

Hey! So do we do advantage PET paragraphs and disadvantage ones? Or do we merge them together? I'm so baffled!
So do we structure research methods and method in context questions the same way??? (Old spec) which is the PET
Original post by starshine909
Hey! So do we do advantage PET paragraphs and disadvantage ones? Or do we merge them together? I'm so baffled!

Merge them together!! Dont do a 50/50 essay with seperate paragraphs you'll lose serious marks
Merge them together!! Dont do a 50/50 essay with seperate paragraphs you'll lose serious marks

Ah thank you!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending