The Student Room Group

Ocr economics f581 (16/05) and/or f582 (23/05) retakes

Scroll to see replies

Reply 440
Original post by Mrmillion51
Just searched on Google. The yen depreciated over the last few years. There is a depreciation. You wouldn't get the marks for an appreciation

Yeah but it's in reference to the figures given in the table so I guess anything else is irrelevant
Reply 441
I am curious about this question too
'Comment on whether a large decline in output is likely to result in lower government spending (6 marks)'
A fall in output likely means a shift in of AS doesn't it? So could an analysis point be that the government would lower its spending in order to avoid demand pull inflation if the shift in of AS resulted in it?
Then the comment on points being the gov spending rising due to more unemployment benefits (JSA) if the fall in output resulted from this. Then the extent depending on how big the decline really was, whether it was short run or long run and the type of unemployment (if frictional then gov spending will increase in short run only to fall back to previous levels in the long run when the workers get their jobs back)
Do you think this accesses all 6 marks?
Reply 442
So I guess even if you said 'currency appreciated' alone it is invalid?
Reply 443
Original post by Ablojo
Thank you, but just wondering where you have posted the unofficial mark scheme?

The link was posted earlier in the thread but here it is again:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/15w-a2J4X3xJDwJYVL0JVCZnIHgoRcK53k4uDgRgiBy8/edit
It isn't complete yet, but people have been adding to it, everyone's opinion is valued
Reply 444
Original post by Pato1
So I guess even if you said 'currency appreciated' alone it is invalid?

Can't say for certain but if you said Fig 1 shows appreciation of yen then you should get at least 1 mark
Or are you meaning the US dollar appreciated? If you didn't specifically reference the US dollar with no mention of the yen depreciating elsewhere then you may get away with it
I said for the output question ways the government can increase output. Eg cutting corporation tax etc and then commented that g spending can create jobs. I also said that there will be a budget deficit because spending was exceeding tax revenue. Will I get 0 marks?
When you mess up the first two questions, extra cheeky :wink:
Reply 447
Original post by tenro
The link was posted earlier in the thread but here it is again:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/15w-a2J4X3xJDwJYVL0JVCZnIHgoRcK53k4uDgRgiBy8/edit
It isn't complete yet, but people have been adding to it, everyone's opinion is valued

Put it on invite only, too many people are deleting stuff. I'll pm you my Google name.
Reply 448
Original post by tenro
I am curious about this question too
'Comment on whether a large decline in output is likely to result in lower government spending (6 marks)'
A fall in output likely means a shift in of AS doesn't it? So could an analysis point be that the government would lower its spending in order to avoid demand pull inflation if the shift in of AS resulted in it?
Then the comment on points being the gov spending rising due to more unemployment benefits (JSA) if the fall in output resulted from this. Then the extent depending on how big the decline really was, whether it was short run or long run and the type of unemployment (if frictional then gov spending will increase in short run only to fall back to previous levels in the long run when the workers get their jobs back)
Do you think this accesses all 6 marks?

Lower output = lower tax receipts = lower government spending.
Reply 449
Original post by Pato1
Put it on invite only, too many people are deleting stuff. I'll pm you my Google name.

I didn't create the doc for the mark scheme I believe thelion did, so probably best PMing him! + I think the reason it was put as open was to make the construction of it a lot quicker, but I agree invite only would be best now so valid answers are kept
Reply 450
Original post by Pato1

Yeah I see that point of reasoning, I was curious as to whether my reasoning regarding gov spending decreasing in a now overheating economy due to the fall in output leading to a shift in of AS to reduce inflation was also valid
if i said how economic growth increasing can lead to further economic growth itself will i get marks for that?
Original post by Pato1

I've made it so that people can comment things an I can keep the things that are relevant. Anything that is being deleted will be bought back if it was deleted because of someone being stupid.
Original post by Pato1

I put this but I think it's wrong since government spending is independent of tax revenue. Think A2 'fiscal policy issues' how governments don't spend more in a surplus despite getting more tax revenues and often borrow in a deficit for spending despite getting less tax revenues
anyone have an answer?
you can justify government spending increasing due to an increase in tax revenue. it is an acceptable response
Original post by Mrmillion51
Just searched on Google. The yen depreciated over the last few years. There is a depreciation. You wouldn't get the marks for an appreciation

Bruh, it clearly appreciated. Check the data from pre 2012
Reply 457
Original post by pelias_100
anyone have an answer?

I'm not sure anyone can say for certain but it depends how you referenced the growth leading to increased growth as the question specifically asked for other macro-economic objectives
Reply 458
Original post by Goldfly
I put this but I think it's wrong since government spending is independent of tax revenue. Think A2 'fiscal policy issues' how governments don't spend more in a surplus despite getting more tax revenues and often borrow in a deficit for spending despite getting less tax revenues

Our tax revenue is used on things such as defence
Reply 459
Original post by Goldfly
Bruh, it clearly appreciated. Check the data from pre 2012

I put that the yen was a weak currency in comparison to the dollar, however it was strengthening throughout those years. Meaning that their exports would become more expensive and imports would become cheaper... Blah blah blah. Would that be alright do you think?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending