The Student Room Group

AQA Sociology Unit 1 17/05 & Unit 2 23/05 - Official Thread 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Louise12307
What on earth is migrant identities????

Isn't assimilation the way that the government tries to internalise immigrants into the culture

Multiculturalism is the view that diversity should be celebrated and immigration has lots of benefits

Differentiation ? It depends on th context of the term. You mean structural differentiation? Division by class etc?

Like how a migrant might develop an hybrid identity from one or more sources
Transnational identities as well

Differentiation is like how theres many types of migrants. Eg permanent settlers, temp workers, refugees.
Super diversity comes under it as does the terms citizens, denizens and helots (Cohen)
Original post by starshine909
Ah thank you!

No problem! Do it like methods in context where you say a strength and evaluate/criticise it with a weakness or vice versa depending on the wording of the question
Original post by Bubbles98
No problem! Do it like methods in context where you say a strength and evaluate/criticise it with a weakness or vice versa depending on the wording of the question

Thanks again! So you'll do PET paras then u evaluate it with something within the same para?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by starshine909
Hey! So do we do advantage PET paragraphs and disadvantage ones? Or do we merge them together? I'm so baffled!

when I answer them I tend to do a bit of both and follow the mnemonic - PERVERT (i think it was called this) - u can switch the P for either P/E/T , E is evidence/ethical reasons, R - reliability, validity, theoretical, time & money etc. always time & money! - best points - it explains it in the middle section of the red textbook btw :h: but also I never balance mine out but I try to include, PETPETPET @ least x3 and for each In my answers I try & include strengths & limitations of the method stated, and then I'll link it to the question & item, strengths such as saves time, cheaper etc and disadvantages & link to item - some people balance it out to get better mark, but I always run out of time on the 20 mark questions since my hands hurting from writing etc., and i can never seem to find enough points to balance it out personally. trying to work on my timing this afternoon :biggrin:
Original post by bellalalaxo
I found it okay, I didn't like the second question that much as I found it vague it terrifies me that I've written the wrong thing. I had to rush to finish so I didn't like how I ended it and I didn't reread so I'm hoping there's no stupid mistakes in there. How did you find it?

I also can't remember the questions. It was define the culture of dependancy (2 marks), ???????? (4 marks), disadvantages of selective benefits (6) right??:s-smilie:

What were the questions? :smile: or what general topics came up?
Original post by bizzy_penguin
when I answer them I tend to do a bit of both and follow the mnemonic - PERVERT (i think it was called this) - u can switch the P for either P/E/T , E is evidence/ethical reasons, R - reliability, validity, theoretical, time & money etc. always time & money! - best points - it explains it in the middle section of the red textbook btw :h: but also I never balance mine out but I try to include, PETPETPET @ least x3 and for each In my answers I try & include strengths & limitations of the method stated, and then I'll link it to the question & item, strengths such as saves time, cheaper etc and disadvantages & link to item - some people balance it out to get better mark, but I always run out of time on the 20 mark questions since my hands hurting from writing etc., and i can never seem to find enough points to balance it out personally. trying to work on my timing this afternoon :biggrin:

Yeah that acronymn works really well for methods!! Will you let me know the timing you decide??

How much do you know on family diversity
Reply 786
Original post by Sally1234567890
what do you think thats more likely to come up for the old spec for unit 2 education

I think marxism!
Yeah that acronymn works really well for methods!! Will you let me know the timing you decide??

How much do you know on family diversity

family diversity - none at all - I'm basically sitting in the garden cramming, by reading all my notes :smile: hey that's how I revise... and guess who's going to be watching BGT tonight instead of revision... me... though I'll look through some flashcards :biggrin: it usually takes me about 1/2 hour for 20 mark questions - which is what our teacher recommended for our class :biggrin:
what do you think is coming up?

I don't want family diversity, social policies changing family patterns to come up as a 20 mark
Original post by Defraction
what do you think is coming up?

I don't want family diversity, social policies changing family patterns to come up as a 20 mark

Me either or demography tbh 😭
Hopefully its couples or fem view of function of family or something

However my teacher has predicted childhood and demography. People have been mentioning personal life a lot aswell
family diversity - none at all - I'm basically sitting in the garden cramming, by reading all my notes :smile: hey that's how I revise... and guess who's going to be watching BGT tonight instead of revision... me... though I'll look through some flashcards :biggrin: it usually takes me about 1/2 hour for 20 mark questions - which is what our teacher recommended for our class :biggrin:

Yeah my teacher told me half hour to but i always go over it somehow no matter how i change my technique lmao

Aww well what grade you aiming for? 😬
Like how a migrant might develop an hybrid identity from one or more sources
Transnational identities as well

Differentiation is like how theres many types of migrants. Eg permanent settlers, temp workers, refugees.
Super diversity comes under it as does the terms citizens, denizens and helots (Cohen)

I have no idea what any of that means
Me either or demography tbh 😭
Hopefully its couples or fem view of function of family or something

However my teacher has predicted childhood and demography. People have been mentioning personal life a lot aswell

If couples was a 20 mark question, I would literally cry of joy!
Yeah my teacher told me half hour to but i always go over it somehow no matter how i change my technique lmao

Aww well what grade you aiming for? 😬

well i'm only doing the AS so I'm hoping B but I don't think that will happen a C/D is more realistic since my target grade was a D - stupid teachers I was above target within the first two weeks and they still didn't make it higher. but going by the education paper i would say C if I'm lucky hopefully I'll get around A/B's for my other subjects... what grades are you aiming for? :smile:
If couples was a 20 mark question, I would literally cry of joy!

Same i feel ya!! We'd all be doing that but knowing aqa we won't be !
We will all be crying because we failed
Same i feel ya!! We'd all be doing that but knowing aqa we won't be !
We will all be crying because we failed

How did you find the education paper?
well i'm only doing the AS so I'm hoping B but I don't think that will happen a C/D is more realistic since my target grade was a D - stupid teachers I was above target within the first two weeks and they still didn't make it higher. but going by the education paper i would say C if I'm lucky hopefully I'll get around A/B's for my other subjects... what grades are you aiming for? :smile:

I'm doing AS as well!
I'm hoping for a B in this, an A in history , a C in biology and french hahha i've failed that before i even sit it
How did you find the education paper?

I found it quite good but i was pushed for time in the methods part 😐 Think i still got enough covered though
What do we reckon the 12 and 20 marker in the Education section of the paper tomorrow will be on?
I found it quite good but i was pushed for time in the methods part 😐 Think i still got enough covered though

I just started the methods part- did a intro and that's it:s-smilie:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending