The Student Room Group

How would you describe the taste/texture/cooking of Tofu?

What is the natural flavour of Tofu? What is the texture? I imagine it would have the texture of less chewy Halluomi cheese, which I like.
Can it be really horrible if it's overcooked?
I've seen a recipe with Tofu but I'm a little aprehensive as to trying it. I tried chicken made from non meat products and really wasn't keen on it. Some recipes for Tofu look so good and the Tofu itself looks really nice, I'm just worried about the texture of it, and if it takes on flavours well.
Tofu is one of life's pointless food stuffs. It has the texture of gelatinous sponge and has no flavour whatsoever. As a result, the secret to a good Tofu dish is in the sauce. Don't get me wrong. There is nothing offensive about tofu, but it has an air of pointlessness about it.
Reply 2
I had fried thai tofu that was nice. Had a nice sauce to go with it otherwise tofu is bland.
Reply 3
Original post by ByEeek
Tofu is one of life's pointless food stuffs. It has the texture of gelatinous sponge and has no flavour whatsoever. As a result, the secret to a good Tofu dish is in the sauce. Don't get me wrong. There is nothing offensive about tofu, but it has an air of pointlessness about it.

Ah ok, I'm just getting fed up with all the same dishes, so fancied trying something new. I never thought it would be spongey. If I do decide to make a tofu dish, I'm make the sauce amazingly tasty!
Reply 4
Original post by Thomb
I had fried thai tofu that was nice. Had a nice sauce to go with it otherwise tofu is bland.

Thanks :smile: I'll make sure if I make it, it will be well seaoned and the sauce is tasty :smile:
Original post by KLouSmart
Ah ok, I'm just getting fed up with all the same dishes, so fancied trying something new. I never thought it would be spongey. If I do decide to make a tofu dish, I'm make the sauce amazingly tasty!

Don't get me wrong. It is definitely a bit different and worth trying, but defo make the sauce very tasty - ideally a bit hot and spicy. Another thing that is lovely in vegetarian curries is paneer cheese. And if you want a flavour completely new to your taste buds, try Szechuan pepper. It makes your tongue go numb in a rather pleasant way!
Reply 6
Original post by ByEeek
Don't get me wrong. It is definitely a bit different and worth trying, but defo make the sauce very tasty - ideally a bit hot and spicy. Another thing that is lovely in vegetarian curries is paneer cheese. And if you want a flavour completely new to your taste buds, try Szechuan pepper. It makes your tongue go numb in a rather pleasant way!

Awesome thanks :smile: I'll need to give the paneer cheese and Szechuan Pepper a try.
I actually really like tofu, especially in Chinese cooking. You can have it in sweet or savoury dishes and it can have a really soft, silky texture, but it all depends on the type of tofu that you get as to the way it is.
Reply 8
Original post by glassriver
I actually really like tofu, especially in Chinese cooking. You can have it in sweet or savoury dishes and it can have a really soft, silky texture, but it all depends on the type of tofu that you get as to the way it is.

It was a Chinese recipe I was looking at. I've never tried tofu and have always wanted to, I do usually eat meat, mostly chicken and beef, but I'm just really bored of it just now. What type of Tofu would you recommend me to get for a Chinese inspired recipe? :smile:
It was a Chinese recipe I was looking at. I've never tried tofu and have always wanted to, I do usually eat meat, mostly chicken and beef, but I'm just really bored of it just now. What type of Tofu would you recommend me to get for a Chinese inspired recipe? :smile:

It depends what the recipe's for. I think you can get different types - my parents normally buy theirs at a Chinese supermarket. If you're having a pudding like dou fu fa (yum) then you want a really soft type, but if you're going for something like stuffed tofu (yum) then you want firm. I think you can buy fried tofu (?) which looks more yellow which you can use in stuffed tofu as well. You can also cook tofu with a thin soya sauce and veg, which you can serve with rice, and then you'd probably go for a firm-ish one but I don't know for sure.
Reply 10
It depends what the recipe's for. I think you can get different types - my parents normally buy theirs at a Chinese supermarket. If you're having a pudding like dou fu fa (yum) then you want a really soft type, but if you're going for something like stuffed tofu (yum) then you want firm. I think you can buy fried tofu (?) which looks more yellow which you can use in stuffed tofu as well. You can also cook tofu with a thin soya sauce and veg, which you can serve with rice, and then you'd probably go for a firm-ish one but I don't know for sure.

perfect thank you. I'm looking forward to trying it. Using it as a dessert sounds interesting and well worth trying! :smile:
perfect thank you. I'm looking forward to trying it. Using it as a dessert sounds interesting and well worth trying! :smile:

It's lovely (as with all Chinese desserts, but maybe I'm biased :smile:). Good luck with your tofu!
Reply 12
It's lovely (as with all Chinese desserts, but maybe I'm biased :smile:). Good luck with your tofu!

Tofu is the Forrest Gump of the refrigerator
Reply 14
Original post by the bear
Tofu is the Forrest Gump of the refrigerator

That is a description!

Quick Reply

Latest