The Student Room Group

[Urgent] Physics unit 1 edexcel range and time of flight

My exam is tomorrow and I have this doubt. There are two formulas. One for range and one for TOF
Range = (u²sin2θ)/g
TOF = (2usinθ)/g

But I don't see these used in mark schemes but, when I use them I get the correct answer. Is it alright to use these formulas? While I gain full marks?
Original post by Blazyy
My exam is tomorrow and I have this doubt. There are two formulas. One for range and one for TOF
Range = (u²sin2θ)/g
TOF = (2usinθ)/g

But I don't see these used in mark schemes but, when I use them I get the correct answer. Is it alright to use these formulas? While I gain full marks?

I needed to know those for m2, but they aren't necessary for unit 1. I can't say that you won't get credit, but I would recommend sticking with standard suvat (despite the formulae being easier)
Original post by Blazyy
Range = (u²sin2θ)/g
TOF = (2usinθ)/g

I would stick to standard suvat for several reasons:

1. Those results will only hold for the specific condition used in their derivation, i.e. the height it returns to must be the same so if the question was slightly different and this isn't true they do not hold.

2. You are unlikely to get/ there is the possibility that you will miss out on some working marks as they skip a lot of the intermediate steps.

By all means use them as a useful check, but I would advise you to do the question properly as well
Reply 3
Original post by samb1234
I would stick to standard suvat for several reasons:

1. Those results will only hold for the specific condition used in their derivation, i.e. the height it returns to must be the same so if the question was slightly different and this isn't true they do not hold.

2. You are unlikely to get/ there is the possibility that you will miss out on some working marks as they skip a lot of the intermediate steps.

By all means use them as a useful check, but I would advise you to do the question properly as well

Thanks a lot, also, what is meant by derived SI unit and derived SI quantity?

Quick Reply

Latest