The Student Room Group

AQA AS Product Design 2016 Exam Discussion

Scroll to see replies

Original post by nebbercracker
Just going to chip in and say to anyone who did question 6 on the table, do you think they could've mad a less crap table for the exam.

:rofl: that was partly why i didn't do question 6 because that table was horrendous and i didn't know what to say about it other than that lol
Original post by 10moorej
Went reasonably well hope u all thought so too;
Did BAEC, allow is mixture of two or more metals for enhanced properties, stainless steel- sink because shiny and doesn't rust, ear guards, goggles, corrosive, toxic?, I did q6 and fsc is forest stewardship council, materials sourced from sustainable forest etc, aluminium- ductile,malleable, spinning, press forming, shiny, lightweight, conductor etc, spinning process was ok, kettle safety/ergonomics, urea formaldehyde is thermoset electrical insulator, heat insulator so doesn't burn or shock, compression I accidentally called the bottom mould a die and I think I said the die was heated which is wrong, last question it is thermoset to hard to recycle end up in landfill, etc.

Good luck for anyone doing physics aqa tomoz I'm dreading new spec!!

For the symbols (COSHH) it was
-Safety glasses
-Ear defenders
-Corrosive
-harmful to environment
Original post by Music With Rocks
For the symbols (COSHH) it was
-Safety glasses
-Ear defenders
-Corrosive
-harmful to environment

thats what i also put
Hi everyone, I just did the As level Product Design Paper, there was a Textiles question on it, the question was about Spinning Process.

Is that even meant to be on the paper?
Original post by Lightgardian123
Hi everyone, I just did the As level Product Design Paper, there was a Textiles question on it, the question was about Spinning Process.

Is that even meant to be on the paper?

spinning is to do with metal sheets
i know this is aqa board but is there a thread for edexcel for the same exam..
thanks.. Hope it went good for everyone.
Original post by Exams987
spinning is to do with metal sheets

Oh, sorry, I went and searched it online and I only found it with Textiles, that is probably got confused.

:frown:
Oh, sorry, I went and searched it online and I only found it with Textiles, that is probably got confused.

:frown:

no problem , how did the exam go?
no problem , how did the exam go?

I think I did quite well, I might only get a B grade in the As if I am Lucky.
:smile:
I think I did quite well, I might only get a B grade in the As if I am Lucky.
:smile:

are you also sitting the a2 exam this year?
are you also sitting the a2 exam this year?

No, I am only doing that next year, Focusing on one paper a year. As Paper this year.
(edited 7 years ago)
The spinning question threw me off so much, but apart from that I think it went okay. Messed up on the first little bit, put injection moulding for yoghurt pot instead of vacuum forming, even though I was contemplating this D: What did you guys put for Section C for critically evaluate the safety and ergonomic aspects for the kettle?
Original post by lozengerrrr
The spinning question threw me off so much, but apart from that I think it went okay. Messed up on the first little bit, put injection moulding for yoghurt pot instead of vacuum forming, even though I was contemplating this D: What did you guys put for Section C for critically evaluate the safety and ergonomic aspects for the kettle?

For the kettle i said you could use thermochomic pigment to show when the kettle has boiled, also said the handle needs grips. That sorta thing
Reply 153
Very easy paper in comparison to previous years due to there not actually being a design question in the exam
Original post by joeowen131
For the kettle i said you could use thermochomic pigment to show when the kettle has boiled, also said the handle needs grips. That sorta thing

That's exactly what I said, though I always get confused to whether 'critically evaluate' means to add possible improvements?
Original post by lozengerrrr
That's exactly what I said, though I always get confused to whether 'critically evaluate' means to add possible improvements?

On a few of the past papers, it has improvements for the best marks :P
I really didn't know that I had to mention improvements such as smart materials for the ergonomics and safety question😭
Probably lost about half marks there :smile:
Original post by yamyam77
I really didn't know that I had to mention improvements such as smart materials for the ergonomics and safety question😭
Probably lost about half marks there :smile:

i didn't know either but i put in a few improvements such as smart materials and ergonomic handles , just in case.
Does critically evaluate mean both positive and negatives.. i put just negatives!!! Do you think i will get marked down. :frown:
That paper was v good!:biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending