The Student Room Group

Do you think of homosexuality as effeminate?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Thutmose-III
Haha not at all! :lol: It was a sensible guess, I wasn't imagining you were 50 or anything. If you'd dropped out of uni recently I was guessing you're around 20

On the other hand, if I were having a little bit of a peek, would I like what I see? :sexface:

Sadly you've found the 60 year old man living in his mums basement. I do apologise; think i should of let on a bit earlier :biggrin:
Maybe, maybe not, depends what kind of guy you're into :u: If you like your older, beer belly, grey haired man, then cmon in.

Spoiler

Original post by Hachik0
Sadly you've found the 60 year old man living in his mums basement. I do apologise; think i should of let on a bit earlier :biggrin:
Maybe, maybe not, depends what kind of guy you're into :u: If you like your older, beer belly, grey haired man, then cmon in.

Spoiler

Aww, how disappointing. I was convinced you were a spitting image of the lads on the Warwick University Rowing Team

Aww, how disappointing. I was convinced you were a spitting image of the lads on the Warwick University Rowing Team

Damn you're good at this game, how'd you guess! Iv'e got a sneaky suspicion that one of them is you!
Original post by Hachik0
Damn you're good at this game, how'd you guess! Iv'e got a sneaky suspicion that one of them is you!

Haha see the one on the left at the front? His eyes are sneakily casting downwards to where his buddy is sliding off his wetsuit hehe :sexface:

Anyway all this public flirting won't do my rep any good... perhaps I should PM you? :wink:
Haha see the one on the left at the front? His eyes are sneakily casting downwards to where his buddy is sliding off his wetsuit hehe :sexface:

Anyway all this public flirting won't do my rep any good... perhaps I should PM you? :wink:

Now that you've pointed it out :wink: I think that's you hiding in the bushes :u:

Perhaps you should so long as i don't bore you anymore than I'm doing :biggrin:
Original post by Hachik0

Perhaps you should so long as i don't bore you anymore than I'm doing :biggrin:

I don't think "bor[ing]" was the word you were looking for. Charming might fit the bill better. Anyway, I really have to take this onto PM otherwise I'll get a reputation as a shameless flirt. Talk to you in a sec :wink:
No.

They are so gorgeous :colone:
Original post by ivybridge

Do a search on Google images for "Warwick University Rowing Team". They do a nude calendar to raise money for homophobia awareness *swoon*

They have such fit bodies, amazing arses, just perfect.
Do a search on Google images for "Warwick University Rowing Team". They do a nude calendar to raise money for homophobia awareness *swoon*

They have such fit bodies, amazing arses, just perfect.

Oh, I know! They're my wallpaper haha:

:colone:
Oh, I know! They're my wallpaper haha:

image.jpeg
Attachment not found

:colone:

Bottom left is me :biggrin:
Reply 51
What so do you mean you have to be effeminate to be gay?
It is a stereotype and I do believe that stereotypes are based partly on the truth but that's not to say that someone who is a straight male cannot be somewhat effeminate themselves. People in this day and age do not necessarily abide by so called 'codes and convections' of certain stereotypes so just embrace who you are. I am a straight female myself so i apologise if i misinterpreted your argument/view.
(edited 7 years ago)

Im a rower and i promise you all i will have a body like that by the end of the year.

I'm a sack of **** atm :frown:

On topic; we also have to be careful of confirmation bias
There are plenty that are and plenty that aren't.
Original post by hezzlington
Im a rower and i promise you all i will have a body like that by the end of the year.

I'm a sack of **** atm :frown:

On topic; we also have to be careful of confirmation bias

I'm sure you look beautiful :smile:!
I think homosexuals have a higher tendency to be effeminate, understandably.

Edit #1: My reasons are that:
1) Homosexual men have a closer psychological make-up to women than non-homosexual men.
2) There is an effeminate homosexual culture, which would feminise those who get caught up in it.
3) Have a higher proportion of female friends I find (being mostly attracted to men myself as well), where you would unconsciously pick up habits and mannerisms of them (being your friend group, from an analysis of myself.)

P.S. I'm a bisexual man mostly / proportionally more attracted to the same sex (for clarification.)
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by neal95
Generally yes, but it isn't always the case, there are quite a few gay people who act straight and are the antithesis of feminine I.e have a muscular physique

:colonhash: (see text in bold.)

Also having a muscular physique isn't mutually exclusive to having a more feminine personality. (I'm pretty sure I've seen those that have both online, even if they aren't the norm.)

P.S. I just dislike the wording.
Original post by XcitingStuart
I think homosexuals have a higher tendency to be effeminate, understandably.

Edit #1: My reasons are that:
1) Homosexual men have a closer psychological make-up to women than non-homosexual men.
2) There is an effeminate homosexual culture, which would feminise those who get caught up in it.
3) Have a higher proportion of female friends I find (being mostly attracted to men myself as well), where you would unconsciously pick up habits and mannerisms of them (being your friend group, from an analysis of myself.)

P.S. I'm a bisexual man mostly / proportionally more attracted to the same sex (for clarification.)

I prefer female company, on large, to male company.
Original post by Hachik0
I prefer female company, on large, to male company.

It wasn't a given. :colonhash:

(If you're arguing against my case.)

It was more meant as a tendency, an arbitrary one.
I'm very interested in this subject. I'm a gay guy myself, but I'm not by any means effeminate (lisping, mincing around, into musical theatre and so on). I'm not super macho either, or trying to be something I'm not. I (and most of my gay friends) are I suppose just normal guys in terms of mannerisms.

I'm a bit geeky in that I'm interested in technology, ancient history, warfare and military technology. I'm also a bit country-oriented; I ride, I shoot (and no, I mean in the sense of horses and shotguns, not copulation and ejaculation).

When I first came out (and this was a little bit before Grindr became big) I went out to some gay bars and my experience was that the denizens of the gay "scene" tended to be much more effeminate and campy than ordinary gay men I met outside the scene.

On the other hand, I do know some gay guys who are the stereotype of the lisping, musical theatre-oriented queen. I might be going out on a limb here, but my experience is that those sort of gay guys are more often "bottoms" (receptive partners) and that guys like me tend to be either "top" (dominant partner) or "versatile" (willing to switch it up... my personal preference as it's infinitely more novel and there's a sense of equality between the two guys).

I also find the homosexual couplings of the ancient world quite interesting; in Roman culture it seems it was quite normal for a man to be attracted to both women and male youths (I guess 15 to about 20). Some of the accounts of the Punic Wars I read was that when one of these cities was sacked, the soldiers fought each other over the most beautiful women and the most comely lads. I can't remember which historian it was (Livy, Tacitus, one of them) mentioned both in the same breath, with no apparent sense of soldierly preference for one or the other. The Romans didn't care what a freeborn male citizen did with his slaves or prostitutes, male or female, as long as he didn't let himself be penetrated. The Greeks did seem to allow some degree of male love between freeborn male citizens (probably too long a subject to get into here)

So I've wondered is it possible that, biologically, there are two types of gay men? There are gay men who are more like me, who are attracted to other guys and have broadly the same mindset as heterosexual men in terms of mannerism, mindset and so on. And then there is a second category of gay man who perhaps has a more female mindset, hence the effeminate behaviour.

Finally, I am certain that effeminate behaviour among gay men is becoming rarer (it seems more common among older gay men); in the old days to meet other gay men you had to go through the gay scene, which by virtue of being located in and a part of the entertainment industry (clubs, drag queens, rent boys) encouraged a more effeminate group behaviour which people would adopt due to peer pressure. But in the modern day where gay men can meet each other through the internet they can do so according to common interests and without that pressure (for example, the "gaybros" subreddit for gay guys who are into sport, hunting, fishing, shooting etc).

What do you think?

I don't equate gay with feminine traits but I do find it common

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending