The Student Room Group

AQA AS Product Design 2016 Exam Discussion

Scroll to see replies

Original post by joeowen131
Does critically evaluate mean both positive and negatives.. i put just negatives!!! Do you think i will get marked down. :frown:

I put six ergonomic evaluations and six safety evaluations but they were a mix of both positive and negatives
Original post by Exams987
i didn't know either but i put in a few improvements such as smart materials and ergonomic handles , just in case.

I mentioned Thermochromic pigments to improve the safety aspects, like for consumers who have poor visual and hearing, a thermochromic kettle would ensure that they would be able to see the kettle turn bright pink (for example) when the water is boiled, rather than touching the kettle to check if it is hot enough which would result in injury ://
What were the questions on section A??
The fill in the box question, alloys question, safety symbols and I can't seem to remember the other ones
That paper wasnt too bad i thought!
Original post by lozengerrrr
I mentioned Thermochromic pigments to improve the safety aspects, like for consumers who have poor visual and hearing, a thermochromic kettle would ensure that they would be able to see the kettle turn bright pink (for example) when the water is boiled, rather than touching the kettle to check if it is hot enough which would result in injury ://

Why did you mention improvements? The question just wanted you to evaluate.. so positives and negatives
Original post by Jacobacton
That paper wasnt too bad i thought!

Didn't do the spinning question, and the evaluation one i think i messed up on. Pretty bad on my behalf.
Why did you mention improvements? The question just wanted you to evaluate.. so positives and negatives

On last years mark scheme it says stuff like, 'the chair is slippery, could add a textured surface' that sort of thing.

I did mention positives and negatives, and where there were negatives I just briefly mentioned some possible improvements, other mark schemes which states 'critically evaluate' has said 'some may suggest addition' and 'some candidates may suggest modification'.
Didn't do the spinning question, and the evaluation one i think i messed up on. Pretty bad on my behalf.

I dint think i did that well on the spinning question either :/ my teacher gets the paper tomorrow so ill go through it with her! :/
Reply 169
I believe I done quite relatively well on that exam but I probably lost a few marks for spinning. Also for section C I analysed the design with good aspects but I said modifications. Will I lose marks for modifications such as better hand grip made from polymorph.
[QUOTE="joeowen131;65079601"]On last years mark scheme it says stuff like, 'the chair is slippery, could add a textured surface' that sort of thing.[/QUOTE

But last years paper asked for improvements
[QUOTE="Jacobacton;65080411"]
On last years mark scheme it says stuff like, 'the chair is slippery, could add a textured surface' that sort of thing.[/QUOTE

But last years paper asked for improvements

http://www.irevise.com/Content-Display/Download-Manager/ProductInfoID/11650/FileID/11399/Filename/May-11---Unit-1

Page 17, 'Use notes and diagrams to identify and critically analyse the ergonomic andanthropometric features of this sports drink bottle'

http://www.irevise.com/Content-Display/Download-Manager/ProductInfoID/11653/FileID/11402/Filename/May-11---Unit-1-Marking-scheme

Page 8,

Some possible improvements to the negative reason in which you had listed I believe was fine, however if you simply stated improvements without positive and negative points, then that would be a different story :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
I dint think i did that well on the spinning question either :/ my teacher gets the paper tomorrow so ill go through it with her! :/

You you mind telling me what she thought of the paper? Thanks
[QUOTE="lozengerrrr;65080665"]

http://www.irevise.com/Content-Display/Download-Manager/ProductInfoID/11650/FileID/11399/Filename/May-11---Unit-1

Page 17, 'Use notes and diagrams to identify and critically analyse the ergonomic andanthropometric features of this sports drink bottle'

http://www.irevise.com/Content-Display/Download-Manager/ProductInfoID/11653/FileID/11402/Filename/May-11---Unit-1-Marking-scheme

Page 8,

Some possible improvements to the negative reason in which you had listed I believe was fine, however if you simply stated improvements without positive and negative points, then that would be a different story :smile:

I've been told by my DT teacher that if it doesn't state you need to mention improvements then you don't need to, with the right critical analysis and diagrams you can still achieve 12/12 :smile:
Good on you for mentioning smart materials tho you should be credited for it
Reply 174

My teacher by the sounds of what I told them seems to think I done alright and said this to others as well as I got most points only problems with me were my diagrams such as spinning.
[QUOTE="yamyam77;65080875"]

I've been told by my DT teacher that if it doesn't state you need to mention improvements then you don't need to, with the right critical analysis and diagrams you can still achieve 12/12 :smile:
Good on you for mentioning smart materials tho you should be credited for it

Oh yeah ofc, mentioning just positives and negatives is really what the question only asked for, but I don't think you'd lose any marks if you briefly mentioned some possible improvements to the negative points!
Well, I hope so anyway, it's only what past mark schemes has said but who knows really. And thanks, I hope so!
Metal spinning ->>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7QB0-AlwtI watched this at 1am last night, that luck :tongue:
Reply 177
[QUOTE="lozengerrrr;65081043"]
Original post by yamyam77

Oh yeah ofc, mentioning just positives and negatives is really what the question only asked for, but I don't think you'd lose any marks if you briefly mentioned some possible improvements to the negative points!
Well, I hope so anyway, it's only what past mark schemes has said but who knows really. And thanks, I hope so!

I done mine similar to the question in which it gives the bottle which has been blow moulded. In the lines provided I wrote the positives but in the space I wrote negatives and how the design could be improved. For example I said the gauge for the water could be moved around so it could be easily seen and about thermochromics inks.
Reply 178
The spinning question threw me off so much, but apart from that I think it went okay. Messed up on the first little bit, put injection moulding for yoghurt pot instead of vacuum forming, even though I was contemplating this D: What did you guys put for Section C for critically evaluate the safety and ergonomic aspects for the kettle?

Did the same with the first one but my teacher said sometimes they give two answers as the right one, they did it with a similar question a couple of years back

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah sure man

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending