The Student Room Group

Equivalent protons in benzene

I don't understand why the hydrogens attached to the benzene ring in ethylbenzene for example are equivalent/in the same proton environment. Could someone explain please?
Reply 1
Original post by mp_x
I don't understand why the hydrogens attached to the benzene ring in ethylbenzene for example are equivalent/in the same proton environment. Could someone explain please?

Not all of the [aromatic] protons in ethylbenzene are in the same environment. There will be 3 environments.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by alow
Not all of the protons in ethylbenzene are in the same environment. There will be 3 environments.

I'm talking about the aromatic environments, why is there only 1? I count 3 when I do it
Reply 3
Original post by mp_x
I'm talking about the aromatic environments, why is there only 1? I count 3 when I do it

That's what I meant. 3 aromatic environments.
Reply 6

Even in that picture, the aromatic part is just one huge peak? Shouldn't it be 3 separate ones.

Sorry, it's just that the textbook also says 3 peaks in total (with 1 aromatic peak) which has really confused me.
Reply 7
Original post by mp_x
Even in that picture, the aromatic part is just one huge peak? Shouldn't it be 3 separate ones.

Sorry, it's just that the textbook also says 3 peaks in total (with 1 aromatic peak) which has really confused me.

No it isn't... the ortho, meta and para protons peaks are labelled on the diagram.

Your textbook is wrong.

Quick Reply

Latest