The Student Room Group

Hey, Is "Lady and Fox" by Beatrice Garland about human relationships?

As in question, please answer asap

Scroll to see replies

I don't think so, I believe it is a metaphor for the dangers of drug use and the fox's inability to raise a son.
Reply 2
Original post by Chris Hall
I don't think so, I believe it is a metaphor for the dangers of drug use and the fox's inability to raise a son.

really? are you joking?
Original post by 1jonam16
really? are you joking?

I don't think he is.
According to a teacher, it was about male prostitution or something! I wrote about the narrator's admiration though...
Reply 5
Original post by Alicehatha
According to a teacher, it was about male prostitution or something! I wrote about the narrator's admiration though...

reallY? actually, i suppose it could be, but no one would go to such extremes
Original post by 1jonam16
reallY? actually, i suppose it could be, but no one would go to such extremes

Exactly what we all thought!
Reply 7
I talked about her passion for the fur and how the fox is dangerous - that the use of word 'you' then 'i' then 'we' in the last paragraph suggest them coming together - also that there was irony within the poem. Any relevance?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Original post by fk.harris
I talked about her passion for the fur and how the fox is dangerous - that the use of word 'you' then 'i' then 'we' in the last paragraph suggest them coming together - also that there was irony within the poem. Any relevance?

Posted from TSR Mobile

yeh same, we is a collective term
I thought that she was almost flattering the fox and i got a really sinister feel from the whole thing idk why especially from the last line where it says that the narrator has red fox fur
omg i thought it was about killing foxes for fur lmao
Original post by roshna00
omg i thought it was about killing foxes for fur lmao

It kinda was

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
I thought that initially she was contemptful of the fox and found the way it was looking at her irritating then she noticed its fur and admired it for its beauty, deciding to make it into a coat with the irony being the hunter becoming the hunted...
Same thats what i wrote about!
Idk my friend almost compared it to jack the ripper like the fox is the prostitute and the narrator is a murderur and at the end where it says something about a mask and then the narrator wearing the fur, he said that the fur represented something the murderur wants which is her life and the mask is the mask of death but idk hes pretty messed up
Reply 15
Original post by Jasmine_abbi
Idk my friend almost compared it to jack the ripper like the fox is the prostitute and the narrator is a murderur and at the end where it says something about a mask and then the narrator wearing the fur, he said that the fur represented something the murderur wants which is her life and the mask is the mask of death but idk hes pretty messed up

haha i suppose its imaginative
Reply 16
Anyone talk about them "Joining forces" in the speakers feeling paragraph? I mentioned how "forces" has connotations of an army, and how the different components represented what an army does (An army is usually defending a country (the house) and it's allies(in this case the fox/lady) and how they were fighting against an enemy(the mouse infestation). I then talked about how she betrayed the fox and killed it for a fur coat, how sinister.
Reply 17
Yeah so literally everyone in my year said the poem was based on the of being the man's lover, and when she say "rough ride" it was a sex reference.
Reading this makes me feel better that I mentioned skinning the fox for its coat, and the woman's longing to free herself from society's expectations and act like a feral fox... Even if I my have over complicated things... :/
Reply 18
Original post by JessieAM
Yeah so literally everyone in my year said the poem was based on the of being the man's lover, and when she say "rough ride" it was a sex reference.
Reading this makes me feel better that I mentioned skinning the fox for its coat, and the woman's longing to free herself from society's expectations and act like a feral fox... Even if I my have over complicated things... :/

The question asked about the narrator's feelings towards the fox so I don't think the fox was meant to be a man (hopefully... :redface:)

Your interpretation sounds good, if it makes you feel better I wrote that the poet could be suggesting that in modern life we can't admire nature without wanting to possess it (=fur coat), and how she doesn't see the fox as a living creature but as a possession...
Oh god...

I wrote about the woman being desperately and passionately in love with the fox. I then went on about the fox being an extended metaphor for a 'wild man'. I wrote that the two are different (shown by the dances) and that the fox (the man) will leave quickly (shown by the structure being of 3 lines a stanza)... I wrote four, what I believe to be, pretty convincing PEEL paragraphs. I'm hoping I actually get some marks. >.<

Quick Reply

Latest