The Student Room Group

How did your English Literature exam go?

Well done to all those who have sat their AQA GCSE English Literature, Unit 1 exam today. How did it go? What did you think of the questions? I personally found the questions about 'An Inspector Calls' slightly tricky, although 'Of Mice and Men' was a joy to answer. What do you think?

Feel free to discuss anything relevant to this exam!

Scroll to see replies

The exam was piss easy i do purple hibiscus and DNA im really suprised they repeated the theme of religion again and i did that for my recent mocks so I was just like yess:biggrin: i got an A* for tht paper aswell:biggrin:So now poetry which i am hoping ro get an A* in
other way around for me - loved AIC and spent far too long on it. hated OMAM and had no time to answer it properly - 3 paras on the extract but only 1 for part b :redface:
v easy done 4 1/2 sides for aic. wrote about stage directions in 1 part. only about 2 3/4 for tkamb
Reply 4
Struggled for An Inspector Calls, went for the question with Gerald and Sheila. What points did people put for it?
Reply 5
I think that I went off topic and didn't answer the question properly for the TKAMB 'to what extent is Mayella a victim?' can someone just look at my 3 points:
1) Mayella as victim
2) boo radley is also presented as a victim
3) tom robinson is also a victim

I think I read the question as 'to what extent is Mayella the victim in TKAMB?'

does anyone know how much marks go towards answering the question because i think my analysis was decent
went absolutely awfully :frown: AIC was ok but OMAM was terrible! I only did one paragraph for the extract and then failed to answer the question properly for the second part. bye bye a*
I loved the sunlight on the grass section but OMAM not so much. i feel like i just analysed low-level words such as giggled and dutifully without being insightful. however, i did talk about the wind disrupting the leaves as they were 'rustling' showing how george and lennie's dream has been disrupted, i was quite proud of this :smile:

which 1 or 2 characters did everyone do for OMAM part B? i did crooks and candy
Reply 8
Timing was a big issue for me i still had part b to in the last 5 mins… i was only able to do half a page so I'm disappointed
Reply 9
Original post by batt_mellamy
went absolutely awfully :frown: AIC was ok but OMAM was terrible! I only did one paragraph for the extract and then failed to answer the question properly for the second part. bye bye a*

OMG you and me same everyone kept on comforting me saying don't worry you got another chance in the poetry paper but it's just so damn annoying because even then that exam is around 40%. There's my a* gone down the drain for sure
Reply 10
i though the Crucible went ok thou
Reply 11
Original post by nci_X
I think that I went off topic and didn't answer the question properly for the TKAMB 'to what extent is Mayella a victim?' can someone just look at my 3 points:
1) Mayella as victim
2) boo radley is also presented as a victim
3) tom robinson is also a victim

I think I read the question as 'to what extent is Mayella the victim in TKAMB?'

does anyone know how much marks go towards answering the question because i think my analysis was decent

Yeah i kind of did the same thing oops. I guess as long as you justified why Mayella is a victim as well as the others you should get some marks. That's what i'm hoping for at least.
Reply 12
Original post by roxy100
Yeah i kind of did the same thing oops. I guess as long as you justified why Mayella is a victim as well as the others you should get some marks. That's what i'm hoping for at least.

yes! but i am so mad at myself haha because i was aiming for an a*
Of mice and men was good but an inspector wasn't great. I did the question about the change in relationship between Gerald and Sheila
Original post by Taahira_
OMG you and me same everyone kept on comforting me saying don't worry you got another chance in the poetry paper but it's just so damn annoying because even then that exam is around 40%. There's my a* gone down the drain for sure

I came home in pieces and mum was like 'it's ok, poetry on friday!' and I just got worse. My coursework was awful and I don't think I'll pass this one which sucks because I'm supposed to be getting As and A*s :frown:
Original post by jazz_xox_
I loved the sunlight on the grass section but OMAM not so much. i feel like i just analysed low-level words such as giggled and dutifully without being insightful. however, i did talk about the wind disrupting the leaves as they were 'rustling' showing how george and lennie's dream has been disrupted, i was quite proud of this :smile:

which 1 or 2 characters did everyone do for OMAM part B? i did crooks and candy

I did candy and curley's wife. I mentioned that Steinbeck killing off curley's wife when she was talking about her dream was almost like cutting her off. suggesting that dreams don't come true in their world but idk
Original post by tianshan
Well done to all those who have sat their AQA GCSE English Literature, Unit 1 exam today. How did it go? What did you think of the questions? I personally found the questions about 'An Inspector Calls' slightly tricky, although 'Of Mice and Men' was a joy to answer. What do you think?

Feel free to discuss anything relevant to this exam!

Lol I was the opposite, I was pretty pleased with my Inspector Calls question but part a of Of mice and men was a travesty. I was pretty happy with my part b for Of Mice and Men
Original post by sophie_cxox
I did candy and curley's wife. I mentioned that Steinbeck killing off curley's wife when she was talking about her dream was almost like cutting her off. suggesting that dreams don't come true in their world but idk

I talked about the mouse being dead at the start, suggesting that their dream was dead from the beginning and also how the rabbits at the start run away from George and Lennie and this suggests that they are chasing a dream but never catch up with it.
Reply 18
does anyone have a prediction for the highest mark out of 30 possible for someone whose 2/3 points were not relevant?
I did AIC and OMAM and I found answering AIC easier that OMAM. I chose the Gerald and Sheila one. The dreams bit OMAM was good it was just the extract that was slighly hardish:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending