The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
anyone?
I usually end up writing a load of vulgarity all over the page until I think of a decent way of wording things.

I think my unfinished French pieces are my finest work. French swearing is top notch.
Reply 3
any other serious replies -.- ?
Reply 4
Original post by Retired_Messiah
I usually end up writing a load of vulgarity all over the page until I think of a decent way of wording things.

I think my unfinished French pieces are my finest work. French swearing is top notch.
You want to try Latin; landica is one of the most beautiful profanities I've ever heard :daydreaming:

When I was doing assignments I'd decide on the structure first, and then write all my headings and apply page-breaks where necessary. Then I'd basically fill it out like a form. As far as research goes, I'd learn the **** out of what I was writing about and then just look keywords up in the indexes of my sources to back up what I'd said.
Reply 5
Original post by Tootles
You want to try Latin; landica is one of the most beautiful profanities I've ever heard :daydreaming:

When I was doing assignments I'd decide on the structure first, and then write all my headings and apply page-breaks where necessary. Then I'd basically fill it out like a form. As far as research goes, I'd learn the **** out of what I was writing about and then just look keywords up in the indexes of my sources to back up what I'd said.

ok great thanks :smile: thats helpful
whats your tip on getting the highest grade possible? what tips would u suggest
Reply 6
Original post by shawtyb
ok great thanks :smile: thats helpful
whats your tip on getting the highest grade possible? what tips would u suggest
Digest the module into five minutes' worth of bullet points and commit them to memory. Don't do too much at once, or you'll strain your mind - like filling a water-bomb, do it slowly and carefully and you'll get more in than if you try and jump a gallon in all at once.

Also plenty of sleep and sex help stem the nerves that make you fluff questions.
Reply 7
Original post by Tootles
Digest the module into five minutes' worth of bullet points and commit them to memory. Don't do too much at once, or you'll strain your mind - like filling a water-bomb, do it slowly and carefully and you'll get more in than if you try and jump a gallon in all at once.

Also plenty of sleep and sex help stem the nerves that make you fluff questions.

so like bullet points on the key points? the same way people writing speechs write key words on to cards to help them remember specific parts or subjects?
Reply 8
Original post by shawtyb
so like bullet points on the key points? the same way people writing speechs write key words on to cards to help them remember specific parts or subjects?
Yeah. So, for example, one exam I did in my IT degree was on a distributed systems module, and I made the bullet points and then recorded them and kept them on my mp3 player - I've still got them on my computer after all this time. Just a quick rundown, the essential core knowledge from which I could infer the rest.
Reply 9
Original post by Tootles
Yeah. So, for example, one exam I did in my IT degree was on a distributed systems module, and I made the bullet points and then recorded them and kept them on my mp3 player - I've still got them on my computer after all this time. Just a quick rundown, the essential core knowledge from which I could infer the rest.

i think i understand
any tips on the layout and flowing of assignments?
Original post by shawtyb
i think i understand
any tips on the layout and flowing of assignments?
Logically. I't been over three years since I last wrote an assignment, but I'd generally go along these lines:

Abstract

Introduction

Lit review

General idea of what you're going to do and how and what you're out to prove/disprove

How what you're proving works

More detail on how you need to prove it

Record the process of doing it

Results

How results tally with expectations

Conclusion

What you have learned and what you would do differently

Appendices/raw data/quoted materials that can't be found publically

Obviously that's just how I did it, in a scientific discipline. I don't know what you're reading at uni, so what you need to do might be completely different. I might also have been doing it wrong, though I never got marked down for it.
Reply 11
I try and break it down put all the different headings on different pages and maybe a little bit of criteria underneath that so as im writing i can see the different criteria i need to put in/take out. Also doing headings will help to give you a little bit of structure and it will be easier to know what you are writing.

I also try and do most if not ALL of my research before i start writing, i find finding journals/books etc. a long process sometimes takes longer than the actual assignment. So i try and get all my research done before i start writing pick out certain sections of the journals and pop them into a different word document that way when you are writing you can have your assignment one side of the page and the citations/quotations page the other side and it makes it easier to pop them into your assignment.

Reference as you go, I use a website called RefMe which is a great website which allows you to add your references and it does it for you in the Havard Format, you can add then manually, search for them and even scan the barcode on books and it does it all for you! It allows you to have different assignments going at one go and all under there own headings and then you can copy and paste it into your document and you have a Reference list which didnt take you hours!

I think thats it, what also helps me is doing a certain amount of it in certain amounts of time and giving yourself a break/reward when you've done it.

Hope that helps! xx
Write it by hand, then type it up online. Ideas come to me faster when I'm writing by hand.
Reply 13
Original post by Tootles
Logically. I't been over three years since I last wrote an assignment, but I'd generally go along these lines:

Abstract

Introduction

Lit review

General idea of what you're going to do and how and what you're out to prove/disprove

How what you're proving works

More detail on how you need to prove it

Record the process of doing it

Results

How results tally with expectations

Conclusion

What you have learned and what you would do differently

Appendices/raw data/quoted materials that can't be found publically

Obviously that's just how I did it, in a scientific discipline. I don't know what you're reading at uni, so what you need to do might be completely different. I might also have been doing it wrong, though I never got marked down for it.

that makes sense! what did you finish uni with?
and business management

Original post by JS31294
I try and break it down put all the different headings on different pages and maybe a little bit of criteria underneath that so as im writing i can see the different criteria i need to put in/take out. Also doing headings will help to give you a little bit of structure and it will be easier to know what you are writing.

I also try and do most if not ALL of my research before i start writing, i find finding journals/books etc. a long process sometimes takes longer than the actual assignment. So i try and get all my research done before i start writing pick out certain sections of the journals and pop them into a different word document that way when you are writing you can have your assignment one side of the page and the citations/quotations page the other side and it makes it easier to pop them into your assignment.

Reference as you go, I use a website called RefMe which is a great website which allows you to add your references and it does it for you in the Havard Format, you can add then manually, search for them and even scan the barcode on books and it does it all for you! It allows you to have different assignments going at one go and all under there own headings and then you can copy and paste it into your document and you have a Reference list which didnt take you hours!

I think thats it, what also helps me is doing a certain amount of it in certain amounts of time and giving yourself a break/reward when you've done it.

Hope that helps! xx

hey that helps loads thankyou!
everything iv bolded and put in italics is a great idea! should have done this and i shall certainly adopt that now!
iv got a harvard referencing page favourited thankfully haha!
what did u get for ur degree? or what are you aiming for?

Original post by Vixen47
Write it by hand, then type it up online. Ideas come to me faster when I'm writing by hand.

i write all the info and key points and criteria and 'need to do' stuff by hand then type it up :smile:

hey! i do this too and dont tend to draft neither. i probably should haha
300 pages is alot!
that last paragraph is actually quite a good idea!
what did u get at the end?
Original post by shawtyb
that makes sense! what did you finish uni with?
and business management
A third :getmecoat: I was doing really well and then I had a nervous breakdown in my honours year and just couldn't pick myself up in time.
Reply 15
Original post by Tootles
A third :getmecoat: I was doing really well and then I had a nervous breakdown in my honours year and just couldn't pick myself up in time.

oh no! :frown:
Original post by shawtyb
oh no! :frown:
**** happens :lol: It led me to where I am now, and I'm pretty much where I want to be.
Reply 17
Original post by Tootles
**** happens :lol: It led me to where I am now, and I'm pretty much where I want to be.

how did u manage that one lol
Original post by shawtyb
how did u manage that one lol
Well, having a third I couldn't get IT work, because it basically means I'm an acedemic failure. So, after being unemployed for a couple of years, I wrote a book. It's sold fairly well, and I'm making good progress with a follow-up.
Reply 19
Original post by Tootles
Well, having a third I couldn't get IT work, because it basically means I'm an acedemic failure. So, after being unemployed for a couple of years, I wrote a book. It's sold fairly well, and I'm making good progress with a follow-up.

thats pretty good :smile:

Latest