The Student Room Group

GCSE Latin Literature Exam Technique

Can anybody tell me how many points I should be making for the 10 and 8 mark questions for OCR GCSE Latin tomorrow?

Also, this is an example from a past paper 'nauarchos iste repente e praetorio inflammatus scelere furore crudelitae: how can you tell that Verres is angry? Make two points.'
Is this a comprehension question (like we see in the language papers), or is it a style question?

Thanks!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ib4
Can anybody tell me how many points I should be making for the 10 and 8 mark questions for OCR GCSE Latin tomorrow?

Also, this is an example from a past paper 'nauarchos iste repente e praetorio inflammatus scelere furore crudelitae: how can you tell that Verres is angry? Make two points.'
Is this a comprehension question (like we see in the language papers), or is it a style question?

Thanks!

That's a comprehension question, but who is Verres? Isn't that in Cicero? Why are you studying it?
The rule of thumb is divide the amount of marks by two and add one. If you analyse and hammer home each point, this should guarantee full marks.
Original post by ib4

Thanks!

Hi! I've moced this to the Classics forum, which is where you'll find other threads on Latin :h:
Original post by Caecillius
The rule of thumb is divide the amount of marks by two and add one. If you analyse and hammer home each point, this should guarantee full marks.

What do you mean, so basically for the 10 marker write 6 points full and fully explain it and this will get full marks?
Original post by pinksplodge
Hey guys:smile:
I'm doing Pliny but I'm a bit scared...I'm prioritising learning the translation but apparently there are lots of questions about technique...how do I prepare for these?:s-smilie:

I am planning to learn translation and annotation. I am going to make large flash cards with the annotated Latin on one side and the english on the other.
Original post by niv1234
I am planning to learn translation and annotation. I am going to make large flash cards with the annotated Latin on one side and the english on the other.

how do u structure ur 10 markers and 8 markers?
Original post by Claude124
how do u structure ur 10 markers and 8 markers?

For 10 markers I just pick out language techniques, group them together then put them into paragraphs and for 8 markers I am just going to think of points, make a plan and write 3-4 paras with a short conclusion
Original post by niv1234
For 10 markers I just pick out language techniques, group them together then put them into paragraphs and for 8 markers I am just going to think of points, make a plan and write 3-4 paras with a short conclusion

what so in the conclusion write if the writer does it sucessfully or not
what so in the conclusion write if the writer does it sucessfully or not

I just summarise in the conclusion normally so I take the main points I wrote in each para and just write them together but I'm no expert. Also, I wrote that the author did something successfully once and my teacher literally crossed the whole conclusion out and said obviously they did it successfully as they are so famous.
Original post by niv1234
I just summarise in the conclusion normally so I take the main points I wrote in each para and just write them together but I'm no expert. Also, I wrote that the author did something successfully once and my teacher literally crossed the whole conclusion out and said obviously they did it successfully as they are so famous.

Well i usually get 5 in my 10 markers and 4 in my 8's so i need to step it up!
Good luck everyone tomorrow :smile:
Good luck everyone!
What do you mean, so basically for the 10 marker write 6 points full and fully explain it and this will get full marks?

If they're good points, yes. 5 fully explained points should get 10, the sixth is just to guarantee it.
If they're good points, yes. 5 fully explained points should get 10, the sixth is just to guarantee it.

Thanks man!

How many quotes per paragraph/point
Hey guys:smile:
I'm doing Pliny but I'm a bit scared...I'm prioritising learning the translation but apparently there are lots of questions about technique...how do I prepare for these?:s-smilie:

Hi I was just wondering, how many quotes do you do per paragraph for the 10 marker
How many quotes per paragraph/point

One should do it, but make you sure you link it to the question to guarantee the marks! Good luck tomorrow! :-)
Good luck everybody!

[Is it weird I'm a little excited for the Literature?]
How did everyone find the Pliny exam (Section B)?

I found it ok, it wasn't too bad. You?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending