The Student Room Group

AQA Sociology Unit 1 17/05 & Unit 2 23/05 - Official Thread 2016

Scroll to see replies

Reply 820
Original post by Helfus
It is one of the ideological state apparatus?

That might not be right, a better one to use would be David Cooper. Cooper argues the housewife role provides unpaid labour, helping the capitalist system.

So...

Zaretsky
Engels
Benston
Ansley
Cooper

Possibly Althusser

Got any for Functionalism other than Parsons and Murdock?

David and Moore were important in defining functionalism
Original post by Helfus
It is one of the ideological state apparatus?

That might not be right, a better one to use would be David Cooper. Cooper argues the housewife role provides unpaid labour, helping the capitalist system.

So...

Zaretsky
Engels
Benston
Ansley
Cooper

Possibly Althusser

Got any for Functionalism other than Parsons and Murdock?

Nope. The textbook I have is made by the top examiners so its a bit strange they havent included many theorists..
Does anyone think childhood might come up? I really hope not as that's the one I struggle with the most and it has soooo much information. What should I revise? Please someone tell me as I need to know which topics are key to know thanks x
Reply 823
What was Benston's theorem?
Reply 824
Original post by Lauhaz
What was Benston's theorem?

By supporting their man in their jobs, by doing the things like cooking and cleaning that they would not have time to do if they were at work they are helping capitalism. To pay women for everything they do would cost an awful lot of money and employers would have to pay men a huge wage. In her role as the housewife the woman attends to her husbands needs, thus keeping him in good running order to perform his role as a wage labourer.

A working man's responsibility to keep a wife and a family mean that he is a slave to his job - he can be exploited as much as he wants by capitalism but he has no choice but to stay. Therefore the pressure of financial responsibility of a family on one person rather than two allows the exploitative nature of capitalism to continue.

Critique - conducted in 1972, most households now dual-career, armchair theories - purely theoretical.
Ok maybe I'm being outrageously thick but what is couples and why does everyone want it to come up?

Does everyone mean like marriage trends or.... Like different perspectives of couples.... Or what
Predictions for tomorrow?
how many names have people learnt as my teacher is saying you need to know at least 50+ and theres no chance i can remember that many! I aim to put 6 in a 20 marker but 50 just seems excessive
Original post by sophiee_thomas
how many names have people learnt as my teacher is saying you need to know at least 50+ and theres no chance i can remember that many! I aim to put 6 in a 20 marker but 50 just seems excessive

50 are you joking?! Thats ridiculous
If you aim for 5 names thats enough :smile:
Can some one give me an example for the PET method and do we PET for each paragraph or select a practical,ethical or theoretical point for each paragraph?
Thank you in advance

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Helfus
By supporting their man in their jobs, by doing the things like cooking and cleaning that they would not have time to do if they were at work they are helping capitalism. To pay women for everything they do would cost an awful lot of money and employers would have to pay men a huge wage. In her role as the housewife the woman attends to her husbands needs, thus keeping him in good running order to perform his role as a wage labourer.

A working man's responsibility to keep a wife and a family mean that he is a slave to his job - he can be exploited as much as he wants by capitalism but he has no choice but to stay. Therefore the pressure of financial responsibility of a family on one person rather than two allows the exploitative nature of capitalism to continue.

Critique - conducted in 1972, most households now dual-career, armchair theories - purely theoretical.

Ooooo this is good thank you, I needed more Marxist theorists. The only one I don't have is cooper but I have Ansley, Zaretsky, Engels, Althusser and now Benston
Original post by Bubbles98
50 are you joking?! Thats ridiculous
If you aim for 5 names thats enough :smile:

I have 97 names for families and households, 5 names (even for a single unit) is no where near enough..

also I hope demography comes up tomorrow, I don't mind ****ing up and getting a C or B at AS. If it comes up tomorrow, it won't at A2 = ideal situation
Original post by popcornjpg
I have 97 names for families and households, 5 names (even for a single unit) is no where near enough..

also I hope demography comes up tomorrow, I don't mind ****ing up and getting a C or B at AS. If it comes up tomorrow, it won't at A2 = ideal situation

97!! and i thought 50 was a lot! do you know all of them properly and how are you learning them ive been using flashcards which is quite good
Reply 833
Is demography part of the families topic? I'm doing the poverty/welfare/work topic and I've never heard of it

I know loads of sociologists names for each unit! I thought they were asking how many to include in an essay!
I read that question completely wrong and now i look like an idiot
(edited 7 years ago)
97!! and i thought 50 was a lot! do you know all of them properly and how are you learning them ive been using flashcards which is quite good

I had 99 for education, hah. It's probably overkill, but I reckon I have a good memory and it's pretty much the only revision I did.

Yea I use Quizlet

It's a fun way to revise anyway, much nicer than writing notes over and over
Original post by Bubbles98
I know loads of sociologists names for each unit! I thought they were asking how many to include in an essay!
I read that question completely wrong and now i look like an idiot

Oh, yeah my bad, I still think 5 is low for an essay though. I usually aim for more than 10, particularly since evaluation names are usually single short sentences.
I had 99 for education, hah. It's probably overkill, but I reckon I have a good memory and it's pretty much the only revision I did.

Yea I use Quizlet

It's a fun way to revise anyway, much nicer than writing notes over and over

ahaa thanks! i just looked at my flashcards and i have no names for demography! what ones do you have?
What are the guessed topics for sociology and health for tomorrow?

Posted from TSR Mobile
ahaa thanks! i just looked at my flashcards and i have no names for demography! what ones do you have?

I don't have many for demography since it's not really a names topic

I have:

- Harper
- Hirsch
- Phillipson
- Eriksen
- Castles
- Castles and Kossack

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending