The Student Room Group

GCSE AQA English Literature - June 2016 *Official Thread*

Scroll to see replies

Original post by thatonepunkguy
How did you guys find Lord of the Flies and To Kill a Mockingbird? I felt like I waffled about Jack a little bit too much and ended up rushing my TKAM conclusion about Calpurnia a little. (the question was about attitudes to black people so I brought Cal up but didn't get a chance to bring in 1930s context.)

That said I couldn't of asked for a better Part B question for Mockingbird! The whole book's about racism and given more time, I would of wrote even more events, and I already wrote 4 paragraphs!

Shame Roger didn't come up for LOTF but I wrote lots of complicated points about Jack and he's a very fun character to pull apart IMO. A little annoyed because after the exam I realized I made a typo with caesura, I said cejura! (I was analyzing the use of the caesura in a Jack quote). I think my analysis will make up for it and I'm pretty sure that was my only typo. Somehow I typed disapprobation right in my essay, but not caesura. I have no clue.

I waffled on about Jack as well, to the point where I didn't get a chance to analyse some quotes in the last few chapters and I just had to say my points.

Part B, I talked about the attitudes shown in the court case and the links to Tom and the Grey Ghost
Original post by leopard923
I said some random thing loool:
I talked about the broken dialogue which is littered with ellipses and the use of George constantly at the beginning if sentences - the broken dialogue reflect s the broken relationship and dream while the use of George reminds the reader that he is going to be alone

Use of sounds - ever nearer sounds add tension to the novel and link to the initial chapter where the sound were distant. Reminds the reader destiny is inescapable

Physical appearance of the passage- beginnings as a paragraph and then transforms into single lines- again emphasizes the gradual destruction of the dream in combination with gradual end of Lennie's life

The shadow was blue- connotations with gloom and sadness while the shadow contrasts to the golden light in the first chapter- hope is personified as escaping the valley as Lennie's death brings darkness
Hopefully these are ok lool:biggrin: please tell me what u think !
Posted from TSR Mobile

I think they're great :smile: you should be really proud of yourself for getting all those down. My favourite is the dialogue point and I love the blue thing, that is actually so good! :smile: Definitely agree with it.

Do you mind reading some of my points. (I can't remember exactly what I put)

Sibilance (can't remember quote) something like "spine and skull" creates suspicion and that George has pre-mediated the death of lennie.

Repitition - the "rabbits" Shows how George and Lennie are connected and interlinked. George wants Lennie to think about something he loves and he emphasises the American Dream the moment b4 he dies.

Short sentences - George's lack of enthusiasm for having to kill lennie and the fact that he's disengaged and doesn't want to kill him. like it's causing him so much pain

Semantic field of heaven or hell - "the place". Ambigious language. Maybe creates introduces theme of christianity and if lennie will go to hell or heaven (he commited a sin by killing CW).

Original post by Adamtoo
Aha thanks, idk because I had to rush OMAM as I stayed on section A for about 55 minutes

Just be glad you started it, i'm sure some people wouldn't even attempt it :wink:
Original post by Andy-22
I waffled on about Jack as well, to the point where I didn't get a chance to analyse some quotes in the last few chapters and I just had to say my points.

Part B, I talked about the attitudes shown in the court case and the links to Tom and the Grey Ghost

I talked about the attitudes of Mrs Dubose ("your fathers no better than the n*****s and trash he works for was a quote I analyzed), how white men gamble in the black church, how Atticus treats the black community different to the rest of Maycomb and it's this that makes him stand out as a person in Maycomb and then I briefly wrote a paragraph on Calpurnia taking the children to church and how Lula asks why she's bringing white children to their church.
Original post by taylorbr11
Same, I did something very similar. What are you predicted in English Lit ?

A* wbu?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Mizz.Unicorn
I failed the OMAM part I said that the voices, although were probably Carlson and Curley, was his conscience! argh I just want to crawl into a hole and i have geography tomorrow!! Noooooooooooooo

It's ok, you don't have to talk about his conscience. The point you made isn't wrong, don't worry. I have geography tomorrow too :frown: what course do you do? I do AQA B
Original post by Ella_08
I think they're great :smile: you should be really proud of yourself for getting all those down. My favourite is the dialogue point and I love the blue thing, that is actually so good! :smile: Definitely agree with it.

Do you mind reading some of my points. (I can't remember exactly what I put)

Sibilance (can't remember quote) something like "spine and skull" creates suspicion and that George has pre-mediated the death of lennie.

Repitition - the "rabbits" Shows how George and Lennie are connected and interlinked. George wants Lennie to think about something he loves and he emphasises the American Dream the moment b4 he dies.

Short sentences - George's lack of enthusiasm for having to kill lennie and the fact that he's disengaged and doesn't want to kill him. like it's causing him so much pain

Semantic field of heaven or hell - "the place". Ambigious language. Maybe creates introduces theme of christianity and if lennie will go to hell or heaven (he commited a sin by killing CW).

I really like the religious point! Because its an important thing in the novella so well done for including that :smile: the sibilance point is really original as well - really good overall u should be proud:tongue: and thank you!

Posted from TSR Mobile
I talked about the attitudes of Mrs Dubose ("your fathers no better than the n*****s and trash he works for was a quote I analyzed), how white men gamble in the black church, how Atticus treats the black community different to the rest of Maycomb and it's this that makes him stand out as a person in Maycomb and then I briefly wrote a paragraph on Calpurnia taking the children to church and how Lula asks why she's bringing white children to their church.

Jesus, that's a lot for Part B! Some really good points as well!
Original post by Andy-22
Jesus, that's a lot for Part B! Some really good points as well!

Hah, thanks. I didn't get to talk about Cal in as much detail as I'd hoped and only just got to finish my sentence in time (I only got very brief context of how bad it was for black people, esp black women in the 30s)

What did you talk about for Jack? I mentioned the idea of him being a 'little boy' and the quote where he says he 'doesn't want to play anymore', him swearing for the first time and the idea of him wanting lots of rules, then not wantign any (you probably know the quote I mean, hah) and him having a superiority complex ('Why should I be Jack? I'm Merridew.) For the quote they gave us I mentioned his red hair possibly being symbolic of evil and anger and his blue eyes being the opposite.
Reply 1069
Hey did anyone do the female presentation question for The Crucible? If so, how did you find it :eek::eek:
I chose Abigail and Elizabeth but I didnt finish it... I did 2 developed points on Abigail but only a tiny paragraph on Elizabeth aghh I didnt know what to really say on her; reckon I'll lose any marks or be scrutinised for that? :s-smilie:

I also did TKAM and I found the extract quite hard to talk about tbh, my points were quite basic in my opinion :frown: Part b) was also rushed too!

Lets just hope for the best!!
OMG! I failed this exam soooooo bad! And i"m normally an A-A* student! :cry::confused: I predicted the question right as well for AIC which made it even more frustrating!!! x
Original post by leopard923
I really like the religious point! Because its an important thing in the novella so well done for including that :smile: the sibilance point is really original as well - really good overall u should be proud:tongue: and thank you!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you! :smile: it makes me feel slightly more confident haha because part b was much more jumbled up and some of my points for part b were just really unorganised. I probably really pissed off the examiner with my scruffy handwriting :biggrin: What characters did you say for the AD?
I am doing short stories, of mice and men and the conflict poems
Original post by lj42_m
I am doing short stories, of mice and men and the conflict poems

OMG I'm doing exactly the same too
Hah, thanks. I didn't get to talk about Cal in as much detail as I'd hoped and only just got to finish my sentence in time (I only got very brief context of how bad it was for black people, esp black women in the 30s)

What did you talk about for Jack? I mentioned the idea of him being a 'little boy' and the quote where he says he 'doesn't want to play anymore', him swearing for the first time and the idea of him wanting lots of rules, then not wantign any (you probably know the quote I mean, hah) and him having a superiority complex ('Why should I be Jack? I'm Merridew.) For the quote they gave us I mentioned his red hair possibly being symbolic of evil and anger and his blue eyes being the opposite.

Where do I begin with Jack. I started by saying red hair almost gives him image of the devil, black cap uses colour imagery for evil, but blue eyes for good (very similar to you)

Then went to talk about him not being able to kill the pig that shows his innocence and goodness at that point, but how it begins to fuel and obsession which could begin to lead him on the road of becoming savagery

Then I talk about him and the mask. Half of his mask is red, again linking to the devil, there was the bloodthirsty snarling, linking him to animals and potentially the beast, but also here he begins to lose his civil side, with Golding using the word liberated to show how he's broken free of society

Then I went on to show how his evil continues, with him becoming a stain on darkness, showing he has become darker then darkness itself. I also talked about the quote "The answer came from the darkness" (or something like that) which almost dehumanises Jack, showing how he has become savage and has lost his identity, and how he's become at one with the darkness

Finally, I briefly talked about castle rock, showing his power, giving him King like status, and him being violent, disregarding the wellbeing of overs, almost like a dictator.
Is anyone doing the character and voice cluster for poetry? Any predictions on what questions/poems will come up?
Original post by MaddieEdgoose
What was the exact question for part B of OMAM? I think I've done it wrong, I wrote about Curley's Wife and Candy then added 3 sentences about Crooks at the end!

The question was about how does Steinbeck create the sense of hopes and dreams in the rest of the novel. It also mentioned that you should write about one or two characters dreams.
If I get a B in this exam, would it be possible to get an overall A grade? Like, after I do the poetry exam? :frown:
How did everyone find that exam then?

Personally I was actually quite relieved at the questions; I expected much harder for it being the final year of OMAM. Before the exam, I was more worried for AIC as we literally only had 2 lessons for it (bar reading lessons), however I felt my answer for that question was pretty good. I did the question on the change in Gerald and Sheila's relationship. However OMAM seemed to spiral downhill, as I just didn't feel like I had enough time (Although i think I did have 45 minutes which was the advised time). I just couldn't seem to think of anything unique nor remotely intelligent for part A - I only seemed to just point out the obvious. Don't even get me started on Part B. Please. It was such an easy topic to write a ton on too! Grr. I'm hoping they choose good poems/themes for unit 2 on friday as Poetry is what I've been looking forward to.

I hope you all feel much more confident about me about your performance and good luck for Friday! :biggrin:
Original post by Ella_08
Thank you! :smile: it makes me feel slightly more confident haha because part b was much more jumbled up and some of my points for part b were just really unorganised. I probably really pissed off the examiner with my scruffy handwriting :biggrin: What characters did you say for the AD?

Yeah same my part b wasn't so good lool I said George and curleys wife and then linked George to wanting freedom to go to a fair etc as shown by when he looks up to the stars the the beginning - I then linked it with how people at the time desperately wanted self sufficiency and how they hated the control they were under in farms etc
Then for curleys wife I said the dream of Hollywood but we know straight away hers is unattainable as in Hollywood u have to make a name for urself but she has no name so it isnt happening lol. Also how ostrich feathers show she cannot fly and reach her dreams
Gave a quick little para on how some just gave up on dreaming like crooks and then summed it up with the fact the american dream is a lie ad destructive :o:o hopefully they're ok :smile:
Wbu? :yes:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending