The Student Room Group

Cie igcse english literature (0486)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 120
I answered on Football after School & I'm the King of the Castle. There were no close language analysis words to pick out in the prose, but the themes of isolation, bullying and fear were explored. There were some metaphors and foreboding & the name Red Room in itself is significant due to its deathly connotations. If any of you answered the passage based or FBaS, how'd you find it?
Reply 121
Just a question. Today in the exam the question was something like 'How does MCcarthy movingly depict the mother's feelings towards her son?' (Poem - football after school) I did try to stick to the question tightly, but at some points I talked more about the mother's feelings rather than the mother's feelings towards her son. Do you think I will lose marks?
Reply 122
Original post by Sara16
Just a question. Today in the exam the question was something like 'How does MCcarthy movingly depict the mother's feelings towards her son?' (Poem - football after school) I did try to stick to the question tightly, but at some points I talked more about the mother's feelings rather than the mother's feelings towards her son. Do you think I will lose marks?

I don't understand how you spoke about the mothers feelings without them concerning her son when that is the focus of the poem? I assume if you referenced the question implicitly at a few points and elaborated on the mothers feelings, you are good to go.
Original post by Sara16

I don't think so - so long as it eventually linked back in some loose way? I was straggling a bit for a final point to make, and so I said something about changing attitudes or something (maybe how she's worried he won't be her innocent son anymore - can't really remember - ) and I very loosely linked it back to the question... I'm sure it was fine!
Original post by Oreatex
The passage based question was terrible. There was literally no close language analysis to do and no literary devices. It was an absolute nightmare

There was some interesting stuff, it was quite good for exploring the theme of friendship and there was some close language analysis in the descriptions of Utterson and Jekyll. It didn't seem too bad to me, but I didn't look at it in detail as I prefer essay questions anyway. Did you do the essay question then? About the feeling towards Jekyll at the end of the novel.
Original post by Ellatheawesome
I did the im the king of the castle passage question and i wrote 2 and a half pages for it

I ended up writing like 4 rip

could think of no links for my PEALS (apart from the "dead" smell contrasting with Kingshaw in the woods, "he liked the smell")
Reply 126
Original post by shaaay
I don't understand how you spoke about the mothers feelings without them concerning her son when that is the focus of the poem? I assume if you referenced the question implicitly at a few points and elaborated on the mothers feelings, you are good to go.

I understand what you're saying, but there are parts where it is hard to say what her feelings are towards her son. For example, when she regrets she didn't live her youth/life to the full and parts where she feels helpless because she can't protect her son.
Now that this mandatory paper is done, what else do you have for literature?
Anyone else got Drama (open text) and Unseen on Friday?
I'm doing 'An Inspector Calls' which is probably the most boring play I've ever studied :tongue:
Original post by TheBirder
Now that this mandatory paper is done, what else do you have for literature?
Anyone else got Drama (open text) and Unseen on Friday?
I'm doing 'An Inspector Calls' which is probably the most boring play I've ever studied :tongue:

yeah i have the unseen and an inspector calls
Yeah I've got unseen and a Henry V.
Original post by Vio1999
I did I'm the king of the castle! And poems deep and dangerous. Did you do extract or whole text wuestion?

which questions did you do?
Original post by Milzime
did anyone else do Hardy and I'm the King of the Castle?

Yes I did :smile:
Original post by Melville140
Yes I did :smile:

lol but I did 'At the word 'Farewell'' :h:
lot's of my friends did Darkling Thrush though:smile: how do you think you did?
Original post by Milzime
lol but I did 'At the word 'Farewell'' :h:
lot's of my friends did Darkling Thrush though:smile: how do you think you did?

I think it was okay thank you, however half way through I started talking about how it was in the form of an ode and the structure of the verse shows an hourglass this representing the moving on of time. This whole paragraph completely ignored the question XD but oh well! How did you find it?
Original post by TheBirder
There was some interesting stuff, it was quite good for exploring the theme of friendship and there was some close language analysis in the descriptions of Utterson and Jekyll. It didn't seem too bad to me, but I didn't look at it in detail as I prefer essay questions anyway. Did you do the essay question then? About the feeling towards Jekyll at the end of the novel.

No as I stupidly didn't learn any quotes :angry: I just had to stumble through the passage
I think it was okay thank you, however half way through I started talking about how it was in the form of an ode and the structure of the verse shows an hourglass this representing the moving on of time. This whole paragraph completely ignored the question XD but oh well! How did you find it?

fair play that's a cool idea (get it? cool? like winter??!?!)

you may get credit :h:

I found the poetry question much better than the prose, I don't know if you do ITKOTC, but the essay question was about a character who only features in, like, two chapters max. This was kind of annoying, and the passage was.. okay

you know what, we'll wait and see, I'll let you know how it went on results day lmao :')
Original post by Milzime
fair play that's a cool idea (get it? cool? like winter??!?!)

you may get credit :h:

I found the poetry question much better than the prose, I don't know if you do ITKOTC, but the essay question was about a character who only features in, like, two chapters max. This was kind of annoying, and the passage was.. okay

you know what, we'll wait and see, I'll let you know how it went on results day lmao :':wink:

No I did Jekyll and Hyde which was quite good, but I'm unsure :s I was predicted an A* as Emglish Lit is my best subject but I just kinda went on my own accord XD I'm sure we'll both have done fine :smile: at the end of the day I can always get it remarked which I'm sure will boost my grade- I swear with these essay subjects it's so easy to be biased on marking as nothing is truly right or wrong

I did it and i think it went quite well👌
Reply 138
Hello i think i ticked the wrong question indicator box....will i get zero?!
Original post by mathphysics123
which questions did you do?

I did Football after school and the whole text question , you?

Quick Reply

Latest