The Student Room Group

OCR Biology A Exam Thread (Breadth - May 26, 2016 and Depth - June 7, 2016)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by 4nonymous
What is Chi Squared And The Hardy-Weinberg Equation. I havent been taught this? Also whats the difference between paired and unpaired student t-test.(I doesnt say any of those ^^ on the specification for AS so I don't think its gonna come up, maybe its next year?)

We are technically supposed to know how to do them for all modules, however as you said things like Hardy-Weinberg almost certainly won't come up on AS papers as the content for it isn't taught until A2. It may be worth having a quick look over how to do them, though, just in case they're feeling sneaky.

Chi Squared is fairly straightforward and is used to see if there is a significant difference between expected and experimental results. I'm not sure why you weren't taught it as it is applicable at AS.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 281
Original post by James3000117
We are technically supposed to know how to do them for all modules, however as you said things like Hardy-Weinberg almost certainly won't come up on AS papers as the content for it isn't taught until A2. It may be worth having a quick look over how to do them, though, just in case they're feeling sneaky.

Chi Squared is fairly straightforward and is used to see if there is a significant difference between expected and experimental results. I'm not sure why you weren't taught it as it is applicable at AS.

what have you been getting in the breadth papers?
Reply 282
and do you know any resources to help me with these calculations as I'm loosing all marks on calculations.
does anyone know any good ways to practise the maths questions?
Where can I get the secret paper from?
Original post by Littleonezz
does anyone know any good ways to practise the maths questions?

There's not much maths questions but you can probably do those in the past papers I've seen although it might be difficult to try and compile them because of how little there are compared to essay and short marker type questions.

You're best bet might be to look at textbooks, online and other workbooks. You might be lucky and they'll compile the maths questions in one chapter or something. If not, maybe try and look the formula up in the glossary. They usually put the questions on the same page where they wrote down that topic.
Original post by Leandra_chk
Where can I get the secret paper from?

You mean the practise papers? The second set of new spec papers? Some users might have it but usually only the teacher has it because only they have the access to it. If you can't ask them, maybe look at biotutors, I've been hearing some rumors that they kight have the second set of practise papers on their list.

Good luck though
Original post by fteam
what have you been getting in the breadth papers?

Original post by fteam
and do you know any resources to help me with these calculations as I'm loosing all marks on calculations.

I got 66% on the practice, I get my result for the specimen tomorrow.

The only way to get good at maths is to practice it, which is quite difficult to do with such a lack of questions unfortunately.
ahh i havent even finished revision ..im still going over module 3 and module 4 ..
Reply 289
Do we need to know advantages and disadvantages of in situ and ex situ?
Original post by SGHD26716

Nope, you just need to know what they are and possibly give some examples :smile:XSPFcq.png
I'm so not ready guys. Who's going to fail with me!? :frown:
Specimen papers WAY too hard!
I cry when I see them. The older past papers on the previous spec are much nicer and easier.
Reply 292
Original post by FailedMyMocks
I'm so not ready guys. Who's going to fail with me!? :frown:
Specimen papers WAY too hard!
I cry when I see them. The older past papers on the previous spec are much nicer and easier.

I average around 55-60%. Why is it our year?
First year for rising tuition fees
First year for new A levels
Second year for linear GCSEs
I average around 55-60%. Why is it our year?
First year for rising tuition fees
First year for new A levels
Second year for linear GCSEs

I KNOW! It's everything. Every single thing has been made harder for us.
But this new spec is a Joke.

I'm interested in how the exam board sets the boundaries. Surely, the same amount of people need to get A's each year? So if they make the paper as hard as the specimen, the grade boundaries should be as low as 50%.
Reply 294
Original post by FailedMyMocks
I KNOW! It's everything. Every single thing has been made harder for us.
But this new spec is a Joke.

I'm interested in how the exam board sets the boundaries. Surely, the same amount of people need to get A's each year? So if they make the paper as hard as the specimen, the grade boundaries should be as low as 50%.

Have you seen how the old spec was written? It basically tells you every detail of what you need to do while ours is just 'show an understanding of a microscope'.
Have you seen how the old spec was written? It basically tells you every detail of what you need to do while ours is just 'show an understanding of a microscope'.

Oh well. What can we do? Just gotta try our best on thursday, and hope everything goes smoothly..

Original post by GrooveBomb
Nope, you just need to know what they are and possibly give some examples :smile:

I'm pretty sure you do need to know the advantages/disadvantages for both- the specification is too vague, and the advs/disadvs are in the text book, so I would learn them if I were you.
Original post by IRoranth
I'm pretty sure you do need to know the advantages/disadvantages for both- the specification is too vague, and the advs/disadvs are in the text book, so I would learn them if I were you.

My bad then, I wasn't taught it so I just presumed otherwise :s-smilie:
i hate biology pls help
Not tryna scare people but it's very likely that the exam on Thursday is going to be very difficult...OCR need to prove in this new spec that only the most capable get the A's, not the people who learn it all without a good understanding.
OCR are moving away from just simply writing down theory answers; they're are going to want you to apply your knowledge to hard situations involving complex practicals.

I'm really annoyed too that they have not given any good resources at all....just 2 papers really?? and the 2 secret ones...
Original post by brodingoson
Not tryna scare people but it's very likely that the exam on Thursday is going to be very difficult...OCR need to prove in this new spec that only the most capable get the A's, not the people who learn it all without a good understanding.
OCR are moving away from just simply writing down theory answers; they're are going to want you to apply your knowledge to hard situations involving complex practicals.

I'm really annoyed too that they have not given any good resources at all....just 2 papers really?? and the 2 secret ones...

Ultimately they will want the same proportions of students achieving each grade, so those who would previously get an A should still achieve one.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending