The Student Room Group

friend with extreme exam anxiety??

my friend (who doesn't go to the same school as me) gets extreme exam anxiety. she's apparently in a smaller room with a couple of other people, but today she started the exam two hours late and then left the room four times and only ended up writing two paragraphs. does anyone else get panicky to this extent or at least know someone that does?
Original post by sophie7194
my friend (who doesn't go to the same school as me) gets extreme exam anxiety. she's apparently in a smaller room with a couple of other people, but today she started the exam two hours late and then left the room four times and only ended up writing two paragraphs. does anyone else get panicky to this extent or at least know someone that does?

I know people who have been in similar situations :smile:
It's good that she's getting the additional help with it, but if she isn't already, I'd suggest she sees the school nurse about it :h:
Reply 2
Original post by Gingerbread101
I know people who have been in similar situations :smile:
It's good that she's getting the additional help with it, but if she isn't already, I'd suggest she sees the school nurse about it :h:

thanks for the reply:smile:
the person that you know, did they settle into the routine of exams and do ok and get gcses or did they really struggle throughout the whole exam period?
Original post by sophie7194
thanks for the reply:smile:
the person that you know, did they settle into the routine of exams and do ok and get gcses or did they really struggle throughout the whole exam period?

It's more of a continuous mental health problem they've had rather than an exam induced stress thing (although exam stress made it worse), but they did get the grades :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by Gingerbread101
It's more of a continuous mental health problem they've had rather than an exam induced stress thing (although exam stress made it worse), but they did get the grades :smile:

yeah she already has gad/depression so it's been going on since before exams. i'm glad they did! i hope she gets the grades she deserves cos shes fab:yy:
I have a similar problem, though I'm still doing my exams in the main room. Breathing exercises are a wonderful help, my favourite is the square technique, breathe in for 3 seconds (imagine the first side of the square) hold it for 3 seconds (imagine the top of the square) breathe out for 3 seconds (imagine the second side of the square) hold for 3 seconds (imagine the bottom of the square) and repeat until I feel calmer. It doesn't always work but it can help hugely with feeling grounded. Google as many breathing techniques as you can and send them to her, they will help, and taking 2 minutes to work on them is a really good use of time because it means you feel more able to tackle the exam
Reply 6
Original post by meganmoo999
I have a similar problem, though I'm still doing my exams in the main room. Breathing exercises are a wonderful help, my favourite is the square technique, breathe in for 3 seconds (imagine the first side of the square) hold it for 3 seconds (imagine the top of the square) breathe out for 3 seconds (imagine the second side of the square) hold for 3 seconds (imagine the bottom of the square) and repeat until I feel calmer. It doesn't always work but it can help hugely with feeling grounded. Google as many breathing techniques as you can and send them to her, they will help, and taking 2 minutes to work on them is a really good use of time because it means you feel more able to tackle the exam

thanks so much! i'll tell her :smile:
Reply 7
I feel the exact same way before exams. I've found that the thing that helps me the most is simply peace and quiet with lots of relaxing. I've written a blog post about it, which could help both you and your friend with your exams stress! Hope it helps you out :smile: https://adventuringwithlove.wordpress.com/2016/05/26/how-to-relax/
Reply 8
Original post by bethy143
I feel the exact same way before exams. I've found that the thing that helps me the most is simply peace and quiet with lots of relaxing. I've written a blog post about it, which could help both you and your friend with your exams stress! Hope it helps you out :smile: https://adventuringwithlove.wordpress.com/2016/05/26/how-to-relax/

this is perfect thank you!

Quick Reply

Latest