The Student Room Group

Struggling to control myself at home and be serious at all times?

At school I am serious and concentrated but at home this all goes at the window I am constantly distracted and acting inappropriately instead of studying I am looking at fashion and other none sense I a, not determined sit around do nothing.Both my parents are constantly angry that I am not serious how can I be serious at home and studious as I am at school.I am struggling to copy my behaviour at home and study.
You need to allow yourself some down time. You can't be serious and studying 24/7 it's not normal and it's not healthy.

Set yourself some "free time" at home after school and study the rest of the time if that helps.
You are not a machine, you are a young person who is constantly growing and developing. Try to find a happy medium between 'serious' time and 'down time'. I find the pomodoro technique helpful.
Original post by SophieSmall
You need to allow yourself some down time. You can't be serious and studying 24/7 it's not normal and it's not healthy.

Set yourself some "free time" at home after school and study the rest of the time if that helps.

What sort of free time if I use the internet I end up being on the internet all day then and doing nothing I cannot control myself.
Original post by Anonymous1502
What sort of free time if I use the internet I end up being on the internet all day then and doing nothing I cannot control myself.

You can control yourself. You're making excuses for yourself and giving up.

Your mind isn't putting a gun to your head and forcing you. You are choosing to.
Reply 5
Go to library to study. Maybe environment will make you think seriously?
You cannot control yourself completely, but you do have some control.

What reward do you see yourself getting from buckling down more of the time? Or what penalty do you see yourself avoiding by doing so?
Original post by Davide_online
You cannot control yourself completely, but you do have some control.

What reward do you see yourself getting from buckling down more of the time? Or what penalty do you see yourself avoiding by doing so?

I find not using laptop during school days is really helpful because fi I don't have the control to use it for an appropriate amount of time then I should not use it at all this is what I did today also the pomodoro method and did a decent amount of work today.If I am not working then I can only practice Mandarin,read or play chess or do chores.This works the best I think.
Good. One tip that helped me with the pomodoro technique was to keep a note of my pomodoros- not just how many got done, but what I was doing in them. The notes soon made me see helpful patterns, such as the times of the day when I was able to work best, and what kinds of activity in my breaks relaxed me more (eg. listening to music and not just logging on!)

Quick Reply

Latest