The Student Room Group

Shouldn't only people of UK heritage be able to vote in the eu referendum?

Surely all the new immigrants who have gained citizenship will just vote to remain in the EU. surely it should only be the indigenous population of britain who decide whether or not to stay in the EU?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by magicelephant
Surely all the new immigrants who have gained citizenship will just vote to remain in the EU.

Improbable premise; assumes all newly-naturalised citizens are from EU countries.

surely it should only be the indigenous population of britain who decide whether or not to stay in the EU?

This doesn't follow from your (incorrect) premise, unless you're seriously suggesting that citizens should be disenfranchised on the basis of intending to vote in a way that you presumably disagree with, in which case you're arguing the wrong case; you should be arguing that the referendum and, indeed, democracy itself is a bad idea.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Hydeman
Improbable premise; assumes all newly-naturalised citizens are from EU countries.

This doesn't follow from your (incorrect) premise, unless you're seriously suggesting that citizens should be disenfranchised on the basis of intending to vote in a way that you presumably disagree with, in which case you're arguing the wrong case; you should be arguing that the referendum and, indeed, democracy itself is a bad idea.

Original post by Anonymous
No. **** off

the new immigrants from outside the eu shouldnt get a vote either they arent british or english

how about u **** off
Reply 3
Surely all the new immigrants who have gained citizenship will just vote to remain in the EU. surely it should only be the indigenous population of britain who decide whether or not to stay in the EU?

You are not going to be popular
the new immigrants from outside the eu shouldnt get a vote either they arent british or english

You might wish to fill in a BNP membership form.
Original post by M14B
You are not going to be popular

Original post by Hydeman
You might wish to fill in a BNP membership form.

who cares about popularity

why should i? english people didnt get a say in scottish referendum and we've been in a union for hundreds of years. why the **** should a large portion of people who feel no ****ing allegiance towards this country vote on its future?
That's about 18% of the voting population.

They could do that, but there will be a lot of angry people and a lot of protests.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Fractite
That's about 82% of the voting population.

They could do that, but there will be a lot of angry people and a lot of protests.

ur telling me 82% of our population arent indigenous to britain?
who cares about popularity

why should i? english people didnt get a say in scottish referendum and we've been in a union for hundreds of years. why the **** should a large portion of people who feel no ****ing allegiance towards this country vote on its future?

How do you know they dont feel allegiance? If they get citizenship and are resident, then they can vote. You might wish to complain to your MP or the government.

What do you mean by new immigrants and indigineous people?

Last 5 years, last 10 or just brown people? Most of the UK population came from somewhere else. You mean the Ancient Britons?
ur telling me 82% of our population arent indigenous to britain?

Sorry did I say 82%?

I meant 18%.

But very few people are actually from Britain originally.
The vast majority of the population come from some other country, whether they arrived recently or hundreds (or even thousands) of years ago.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by 999tigger
How do you know they dont feel allegiance? If they get citizenship and are resident, then they can vote. You might wish to complain to your MP or the government.

What do you mean by new immigrants and indigineous people?

Last 5 years, last 10 or just brown people? Most of the UK population came from somewhere else. You mean the Ancient Britons?

Original post by Fractite
Sorry did I say 82%?

I meant 18%.

how do i know they dont feel allegiance? how many poles or immigrants ar\e in the army? cmon dont chat ****, some albanian living in the uk for 5 years whos got citizenship will feel no allegiance to britain. just like i'd feel no allegiance to albania if i moved there

there has to be a cut off point, about a thousand years ago is fair. everyone says about how many immigrants came to britain hundreds of years ago but the fact we've interbred and have homogenous cultural and very similiar dna

18%? YEAH THEY shouldnt be able to vote. i wouldnt go to ghana live there for a few years then demand to be able to vote whether they are a part of africa
You racists are well funny man
how do i know they dont feel allegiance? how many poles or immigrants ar\e in the army? cmon dont chat ****, some albanian living in the uk for 5 years whos got citizenship will feel no allegiance to britain. just like i'd feel no allegiance to albania if i moved there

there has to be a cut off point, about a thousand years ago is fair. everyone says about how many immigrants came to britain hundreds of years ago but the fact we've interbred and have homogenous cultural and very similiar dna

18%? YEAH THEY shouldnt be able to vote. i wouldnt go to ghana live there for a few years then demand to be able to vote whether they are a part of africa

So basically Anglo Saxons are indigenous to you, but nobody who came afterwards is. Would you be banning the Queen for not being patritic enough and a newcomer?
You racists are well funny man

its not racist that the people who built up this country and who are actually british get to decide on britains future
Original post by 999tigger
So basically Anglo Saxons are indigenous to you, but nobody who came afterwards is. Would you be banning the Queen for not being patritic enough and a newcomer?

trying to twist my words. theres a study where the indigenous people of britain actually sure almost idenitcal dna. there is a clear distinction between someone who has lived in britain for 500 years and some polish skank who got in through the eu whos able to vote on britains future
its not racist that the people who built up this country and who are actually british get to decide on britains future

Bub slowly you're sounding more and more racist, maybe you should apply to join the bnp, you'd fit right in.
Reply 16
We are all one race in God's house, we all have a say to changes in God's creation 🤗

Posted from TSR Mobile
Bub slowly you're sounding more and more racist, maybe you should apply to join the bnp, you'd fit right in.

Original post by B4sh
We are all one race in God's house, we all have a say to changes in God's creation 🤗

Posted from TSR Mobile

wasteman both of u
I wouldn't normally work off purely anecdotal evidence, but since the rest of this thread is working off assumptions...

I've had three different Eastern Europeans say they want to leave the EU; two seem oblivious to the fact that they are immigrants (one shares a lot of UKIP stuff), the other says now he's here he doesn't care about anyone else.
Define indigenous.

Do you mean only the Celtic parts of Britain?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending