The Student Room Group

I didn't write a conclusion today in my English Literature Exam.

So today I did my English Literature GCSE which was both Mice and Men and inspector calls. Im entitled to extra time so for inspector calls I took it and was finishing off my last quote analysis , before the invigilator took it. The same story was for the mice and men. I did use structure, quotes, and themes through out my essays. However I am very worried I didn't add any conclusions to them.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Hassnain Aslam
So today I did my English Literature GCSE which was both Mice and Men and inspector calls. Im entitled to extra time so for inspector calls I took it and was finishing off my last quote analysis , before the invigilator took it. The same story was for the mice and men. I did use structure, quotes, and themes through out my essays. However I am very worried I didn't add any conclusions to them.

You won't lose any marks you just won't gain any I think
Okay, but I am very worried this is going to affect my overall grade, as I want a B or C. On literature.

Neither did I. I don't think it matters. It's good to have a conclusion though cause then it'd mean you have good structure but I think it's all chills as long as the points in your paragraphs are good and that you've answered the question.
I didnt either but apparently introductions and conclusions don't count.
Think a conc would be "nice" especially for AIC and if you can quote overload.

Don't think you need to for Part A or part B but it would be nice in Part B imo
lol it's okay I had a poem to infer from and I thought it was about a fish monger but apparently it was about a prostitute hmmmm :smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile:
I did this exam a few years ago and intros/conclusions really aren't the most important things in the world! You can still get a top grade as long as your body paragraphs are really good. I resat my AS level English lit the other day and didn't have time to write a conclusion either. Ideally you would have one but it really doesn't matter all that much!
Original post by bethanyjx
lol it's okay I had a poem to infer from and I thought it was about a fish monger but apparently it was about a prostitute hmmmm :smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile:

did you do wjec english lit today?
Which question did you pick for OMAM and AIC?

Don't worry. I did of Mice and Men and Crucible and spoke to teacher before hand and she said only do a conclusion of you have time because it is unlikely to get you any extra marks 😀 How did everyone find the questions? I thought that they were really hard!
Original post by rebeccamaria
I didnt either but apparently introductions and conclusions don't count.

Where does it say that?
Reply 12
Original post by 999tigger
Where does it say that?

My school's a grammar where the vast majority of pupils are getting A/A* in English lit and they actively advise us not to write conclusions or introductions as they're a waste of time. A sentence at the end of each paragraph linking your explanation back to the original question does the trick.
Where does it say that?

I was told this before i entered the exam, to not spend too much time on the intro or conc because, you dont get marks for it
What was the AIC question for you guys? (Im doing a different course)
Original post by 11ahf
My school's a grammar where the vast majority of pupils are getting A/A* in English lit and they actively advise us not to write conclusions or introductions as they're a waste of time. A sentence at the end of each paragraph linking your explanation back to the original question does the trick.

Ok. never did me any harm. Guess things have changed. Is iit the same for A levels?
Reply 16
Ok. never did me any harm. Guess things have changed. Is it the same for A levels?

Of course, it's harmless, no examiner's going to complain at having a nice introduction or conclusion. I think it's just because they would rather we spent our time on writing actual points - I would add them in if I have about 3 minutes left at the end! My school's been advising against them for years, so I don't think much has changed! :tongue:

I have little clue about English lit A level but if you're expected to have a more cohesive essay at A level, then they're probably a good idea. Ask your teacher and see if they're worth any credit!
If it's of any consolation I forgot to write in paragraphs (lol) in of one of my lit exams.. (must've been too excited to get all those connotations down.. :dontknow: ) and still came out with an A which isn't the best but meh. Try not to worry too much about it.- As long as everything else is good then it'll hopefully turn out fine. :'3
Original post by 11ahf
Of course, it's harmless, no examiner's going to complain at having a nice introduction or conclusion. I think it's just because they would rather we spent our time on writing actual points - I would add them in if I have about 3 minutes left at the end! My school's been advising against them for years, so I don't think much has changed! :tongue:

I have little clue about English lit A level but if you're expected to have a more cohesive essay at A level, then they're probably a good idea. Ask your teacher and see if they're worth any credit!

I can see the point with intros, but a sentence or two is going to take 2 mins.
Missing conclusions I think is different as I do think you score marks if you make pertinent points and its what all your other paragraphs have been leading up to.

I can see how some of the AQA questions dont really require a full essay structure.
Just seems odd to me to write an essay without either, but perhaps its just GCSE?
It might be my exam board but i never write a conclusion and i usually get A* so i wouldn't worry as your analysis is more valuable than a conclusion

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending