The Student Room Group

GCSE AQA English Literature - June 2016 *Official Thread*

Scroll to see replies

Not sure whether I had the same paper as everyone but the poems...
my poems was about jobs and the first poem was going on about a woman who works in a fish market (or so I thought) turns out when I asked my English teacher she said it was about a prostitute..
Anyone got any ideas on what the hell is going on right now?
I thought it was okay - loved "An Inspector Calls" but hated "Of Mice and Men."
I wrote about more than 2 characters for OMAM. Will it matter?
Original post by Revision738266

The question did specifically say in bold to write about one or two characters. Hopefully it won't matter too much though.
I wrote about crooks dream and then George and lennies together. Will it matter?
(edited 7 years ago)
I also forgot to cross out my plan. I doubt they care though - you're not going to lose marks for it and the examiners aren't idiots.

Who I really feel for though are the people in my school who answered both of the section A DNA questions - There's a large bit in bold saying "answer question 20 OR question 21" but they still managed to do both :redface:
Reply 1126
Original post by Revision738266

I did too! I wouldn't think they could penalise us for it though? ah idk i sort of did it without thinking
Original post by Jem +
Part (a) was the extract, asking how Steinbeck presents the build up towards Lennie's death
Part (b) was something along the lines of "how is society during this time presented to the reader" and then a question about how dreams are presented (you had to choose one or two characters).

Can't remember it word for word unfortunately.

Part (b) Wasnt about society , it was about how dreams are shown in society
Reply 1128
Original post by Stressed.1
Hi guys, I feel like so many people run out of time this year, is it just me? I started my OMAM part B about 10 mins before the end... never seen my handwriting change so much XD

same!! I spent way too much time on my inspector calls question and then barely had any time for OMAM. I only managed to make two points in my part B and my handwriting was illegible
Original post by an0n1
I did too! I wouldn't think they could penalise us for it though? ah idk i sort of did it without thinking

Who did you write about?
I don't think you did the same paper as them because we haven't done our poems paper yet
Original post by tinyshadow0
Part (b) Wasnt about society , it was about how dreams are shown in society

Yeah I remembered society being part of the question, can't remember what it said exactly. Thanks
Please can someone tell me they actaully found AQA english lit hard
Please tell me I wasn't the only one that wrote about eric and sheila's relationship instead of gerald and sheila's relationship by accident in an inspector calls....
Did anyone do Sunlight on the grass ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
just a question, what would happen if you spoke about one character in the crucible question rather than two?
Reply 1136
For part B i basically said that the American dream cannot be achieved to the extent that they wanted, but it can be achieved to a certain degree, but the society was too hopeful and aimed too high. I supported it by saying about Slim and George right at the end of the novel? Im not sure if its valid or if a actually answered the question.
Original post by sarahrose123
Please tell me I wasn't the only one that wrote about eric and sheila's relationship instead of gerald and sheila's relationship by accident in an inspector calls....

Oh honey.....sorry but you sound a bit screwed. Hopefully you'll get marks for some of the bits you wrote about Sheila....just none for comparison.
Original post by Pepsi Cola :)
Hi guys :smile: do you think the grade boundaries for this exam will be higher or lower than last year's (53/68 = A*, 45/68 = A etc)? A lot of people are either saying that they found it great, whereas others are saying it went pretty badly - there seems to be 2 extremes!

I think it's going to be lower for some reason. I think that it went well but most of the people in my year didn't even finish it and everyone said they found it iffy.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(Repost from what I said in another thread):

Section A: An Inspector Calls

Spent ages deciding what question to do. Ended up picking the conflict question. Most people in my year did the Gerald and Sheila question.
I spoke about conflict between Inspector and Birling, Eric and Birling, and Sheila and Mrs B. My main argument was that the conflict between the family was presented as a means of emphasising the contrast between the old and new generation. I wanted to say so much more (especially the conflict between Birling's and the Inspector's ideologies) but I didn't want to cut into my Section B time. Gutted.

Section B: Of Mice And Men

Absolutely loved the extract. It was predicted to come up (we went over the exact extract in class). Both parts went smoothly, although I do feel I waffled a bit. For the dreams question I spoke about Candy (with a bit of George). Wanted to squeeze Crooks in but I was running out of time.

I'm not too sure what I got, hoping for an A* but as it's English, there is the small chance it could go extremely wrong.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending