The Student Room Group

AQA To Kill a Mockingbird 2016 *official thread*

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by georgiaunlit
'Maycomb's usual disease' is Atticus at the end of Chapter 9 when he is talking to Uncle Jack.

'Tom was a dead man the minute Mayella Ewell opened her mouth and screamed' is Scout at the end of Chapter 25, after she has read Mr Underwood's article about Tom's death (which the article itself includes a lot of important quotes!)

The full quote about the Quarters is:
"I don't think it's a good habit, Atticus. It encourages them. You know how they talk among themselves. Everything that happens in this town's out to the Quarters before sundown." which is said by Aunt Alexandra at the beginning of Chapter 16. The quote as a whole is a really interesting one to explore.

'if he had been whole, he would have been a fine specimen of a man' - Chapter 19, said by Scout. Someone else rightly pointed out that the idea of being whole was actually about his disability but if you can get both ideas in, then it helps with the idea of including multiple interpretations.

'After all, if Aunty could be a lady at a time like this, so could I' - this is said by Scout at the end of Chapter 24

'ladies bathed before noon, after their three o'clock naps' - this is also from Scout and is within the first few pages of the novel.

Thank you very much!! Good luck :smile:
Original post by georgiaunlit
I think the use of children in the novel is very important, as Jem, Scout and Dill do not fit into the expectations of children at that time. They experience the world more than most due to Atticus' job and so are more open-minded than most. There is almost an irony with this quote as it is used at the beginning of the novel, however it is through the events of the novel that he begins to change and mature.

You could link this quote in with the idea that Scout is scolded at school for being able to read and write so early, and the reason she is scolded is because she does not fit into the flawed system that believes that every child develops at exactly the same pace. Dill likes to believe that he is older than he is, however, he wants to become a clown and run away to 'join the circus and laugh my head off'. This shows that despite the façade that he puts in place that he is strong, he is still in fact a child and the reality of the brutality of the world is something he struggles to cope with and he wants to run away and hide from it.

I'm sorry these points seem quite vague in relation to the actual quote, it's just some varying ideas that I had. Hope it helps!

thank you!
Original post by rihana.c

Thank you! Good luck to you too:smile:
A few weeks ago, I made some flashcards with chapter by chapter summaries and key quotes for each chapter. I thought they might help for some last minute revision to quickly refresh all the events of the novel:
https://getrevising.co.uk/revision-cards/to-kill-a-mockingbird-chapter-summaries-and-quotes
Hope it helps and good luck in the exam!!:smile:
Reply 64
What are the predictions for tomorrow for TKAMB? Will it be a character or theme and which ones?
Does anyone have an idea what part B will be on, currently lying on my bed surrounded by information about the text and seriously procrastinating about tomorrow!!

Any help/ advice would be amazing!!
How did it go everyone??? :smile:

How did you find the exam?
Reply 68
Original post by grace143
How did you find the exam?

ehhh, okay. I answered the Gerald and Sheila's relationship question but I don't think I really answered the question properly, I just waffled about the two characters really aha. I thought the mockingbird passage was quite hard but part b was quite open so that was allright. The thing is my english teacher was so crap and I hardly learnt anything from her, we didn't even go through the court scene properly so I was a bit stuck but oh well. Still got the poetry of thursday yay (!)

How did you find it??
ehhh, okay. I answered the Gerald and Sheila's relationship question but I don't think I really answered the question properly, I just waffled about the two characters really aha. I thought the mockingbird passage was quite hard but part b was quite open so that was allright. The thing is my english teacher was so crap and I hardly learnt anything from her, we didn't even go through the court scene properly so I was a bit stuck but oh well. Still got the poetry of thursday yay (!)

How did you find it??

Wow we seem to be basically in the same boat! I did the Gerald and Sheila question too and while it was probably ok on the whole, I went off track quite a bit and realised I'd done a lengthy paragraph in which I was just talking about Gerald rather than his relationship with Sheila...! And as for tkam I thought both sections were OK, but I didn't have enough time to say everything I wanted to in it - especially for part B. I'm hoping to do better in poetry! good luck with it for Friday :smile:
Reply 70
Wow we seem to be basically in the same boat! I did the Gerald and Sheila question too and while it was probably ok on the whole, I went off track quite a bit and realised I'd done a lengthy paragraph in which I was just talking about Gerald rather than his relationship with Sheila...! And as for tkam I thought both sections were OK, but I didn't have enough time to say everything I wanted to in it - especially for part B. I'm hoping to do better in poetry! good luck with it for Friday :smile:

Yh same aha, good luck!!

How did you find it??

I did this question, but i thought it went alright, i did one paragraph (after an introduction) about Sheila's materialistic worth at the beginning the: 'Oh!¬ Look - it wonderful' Etc, and then another para about Gerald's quote 'I Don't come into this suicide bussiness', i then did Sheilas quote (thirs para) that is addressing her mother like 'i accept my actions etc' and then a para of Gerald about how he doesn't change his opinions and moral stances and a conclusion addressing how priestly uses a coup de theatre to show the couple are incompatible.
I couldn't of asked for a nicer part B. I talked about Mrs Dubose's attitudes, Atticus having contrasting treatment to black people, how white men gamble in the black church and Calpurnia. For part a) I talked about the parallel drawn between shooting Tim Johnson and the trial of Tom Robinson, the quote 'guilty... guilty.... guilty....' and the bittersweet note of the black community standing as Atticus passes, despite him losing.
Original post by thatonepunkguy
I couldn't of asked for a nicer part B. I talked about Mrs Dubose's attitudes, Atticus having contrasting treatment to black people, how white men gamble in the black church and Calpurnia. For part a) I talked about the parallel drawn between shooting Tim Johnson and the trial of Tom Robinson, the quote 'guilty... guilty.... guilty....' and the bittersweet note of the black community standing as Atticus passes, despite him losing.

What was the exact wording of the question for part B? Me and another user are a bit concerned on another thread haha :s-smilie:
Original post by wildjones
What was the exact wording of the question for part B? Me and another user are a bit concerned on another thread haha :s-smilie:

Can't remember the exact wording, but it was about how white people treat the black community and what this therefore shows about attitudes in Maycomb. I talked about Mrs Dubose, white people gambling in the black church, Atticus giving the opposite treatment and how this therefore makes him stand out in his attitudes and Calpurnia taking the children to church to try to widen their understanding of the black community.

Edit: Realized I mentioned that in my original post, I'm very tired. S' been a long day for me.
(edited 7 years ago)
Can't remember the exact wording, but it was about how white people treat the black community and what this therefore shows about attitudes in Maycomb. I talked about Mrs Dubose, white people gambling in the black church, Atticus giving the opposite treatment and how this therefore makes him stand out in his attitudes and Calpurnia taking the children to church to try to widen their understanding of the black community.

Edit: Realized I mentioned that in my original post, I'm very tired. S' been a long day for me.

Ah okay, that's what I thought! Only because someone was saying that the question wanted you to talk about attitudes after the trial and I was a bit scared because I wrote points about before the trial too:colondollar:. Anyway thank you, that's definitely set my mind at rest:biggrin:

Edit: Ooh Gerard Way, nice
Ah okay, that's what I thought! Only because someone was saying that the question wanted you to talk about attitudes after the trial and I was a bit scared because I wrote points about before the trial too:colondollar:. Anyway thank you, that's definitely set my mind at rest:biggrin:

Edit: Ooh Gerard Way, nice

No problem! Glad I could help. What book did you do for modern prose + drama (section a), I did Lord of The Flies.

Also eyy, yup. My icon is Gerard, I love mcr and Gerard Way, hah.
No problem! Glad I could help. What book did you do for modern prose + drama (section a), I did Lord of The Flies.

Also eyy, yup. My icon is Gerard, I love mcr and Gerard Way, hah.

I did An Inspector Calls haha. Which poetry collection are you doing on Friday?

True beauty. I've gone through an MCR phase and tbh I haven't really left it yet:colondollar:
I did An Inspector Calls haha. Which poetry collection are you doing on Friday?

True beauty. I've gone through an MCR phase and tbh I haven't really left it yet:colondollar:

I'm doing Character & Voice, you?

Same, I never really left my emo trinity phase in general.
I'm doing Character & Voice, you?

Same, I never really left my emo trinity phase in general.

I'm doing the Relationships section, so not the same.

I was only ever into MCR, never got into the other 'emo' bands for some reason. I think their breakup put me off the others, since I'd only got into them a few months before haha. Didn't want to go through that emotional pain again

Quick Reply

Latest