The Student Room Group

GCSE AQA English Literature - June 2016 *Official Thread*

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Jem +
(Repost from what I said in another thread):

Section A: An Inspector Calls

Spent ages deciding what question to do. Ended up picking the conflict question. Most people in my year did the Gerald and Sheila question.
I spoke about conflict between Inspector and Birling, Eric and Birling, and Sheila and Mrs B. My main argument was that the conflict between the family was presented as a means of emphasising the contrast between the old and new generation. I wanted to say so much more (especially the conflict between Birling's and the Inspector's ideologies) but I didn't want to cut into my Section B time. Gutted.

Section B: Of Mice And Men

Absolutely loved the extract. It was predicted to come up (we went over the exact extract in class). Both parts went smoothly, although I do feel I waffled a bit. For the dreams question I spoke about Candy (with a bit of George). Wanted to squeeze Crooks in but I was running out of time.

I'm not too sure what I got, hoping for an A* but as it's English, there is the small chance it could go extremely wrong.

I did the same question for you for AIC and I talked about how Mr Birling talks about how the war won't happen before the Inspector arrives and I talked about the conflict between the younger and older generation and for the last paragraph I talked about the 'fire,blood and anguish' thing in the Inspectors last speech. Do you think those are good points or nah?
predictions for conflict section poems?
Original post by rmg3000
I did the same question for you for AIC and I talked about how Mr Birling talks about how the war won't happen before the Inspector arrives and I talked about the conflict between the younger and older generation and for the last paragraph I talked about the 'fire,blood and anguish' thing in the Inspectors last speech. Do you think those are good points or nah?

Definitely good points.
The Inspector's final speech was something I really wanted to talk about, but as I said, I was running out of time. If I started writing about it, it would have cut into my OMAM time (which wouldn't have been a good idea as they are worth the same amount of marks).
Original post by MR.ANONYMOUS 786
Did anyone do Sunlight on the grass ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I did
Original post by Revision738266
I did

How did it go ? Did you do the 100% perfect girl question ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I did the conflict question in AIC but structured it like a theme question. Doing one paragraph on gender conflict, one about age conflict and one about class conflict, using examples for each and putting in the context of the time.
Original post by taylorbr11
Hi ya, the question stated that you could either talk about one or more characters. As long as if you showed close language analysis that linked to the question, then you should be fine. As well as linking the extract, I also integrated quotes to represent how they linked to society, and how Steinbeck demonstrates this throughout the novella. Don't be concerned, you'll be fine. The grade boundaries will hopefully be generous.

Wahhhh!? I wrote about george was that not right? I thought it meant one other than lennie!?
What did people write for how Lennie's death was built up?
Original post by MR.ANONYMOUS 786
How did it go ? Did you do the 100% perfect girl question ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I did my polish teachers tie.
Hey, I did question 17 for AIC where it asks you to talk about how Sheila and Gerald's relationship changes. I talked about how at the start she is all happy when Gerald buys her that ring which shows that she's materialistic? I also spoke about how Sheila says to Gerald "we aren't the same anymore" and I wrote that Sheila accepts the blame whereas Gerald does not. I wrote many more things but I just wanted to know if these are correct.

Thank you.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by zara_ruby
I did the conflict question in AIC but structured it like a theme question. Doing one paragraph on gender conflict, one about age conflict and one about class conflict, using examples for each and putting in the context of the time.

I was going to do this! I was wondering if we could talk about the different types of conflict in the play - as you said, class and gender. Decided to play it safe as I spent too much time planning for the Sheila and Gerald question, only to do the conflict question in the end! :mad:
bye bye A*
Does anyone know the grade boundaries for each question ? For instance how many marks would be needed for an A*,A and B out of each question in terms of bands. Thanks.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I did the Crucible and OMAM.

It was pretty good - decent, I should say. I think Section A (Crucible) was easier than OMAM but I think I did well overall.
I chose the question on conflict and I elaborated on the conflict within the characters, the impending warfare, the conflict between the classes and Eric's conflict between himself and his family. Is it bad that I said that Eric's drinking habits could illustrate his detachment from the capitalist doctrine as he is evidently uninhibited my the prospect of tainting his family's reputation and how as a result, he's more receptive to The inspectors overall message of societal unity? Feel like I've messed up. I also only had 20 minutes to write the Of Mice and Men section and I I started talking utter rubbish about how the patriarchy and economic instability of the 1930s makes it impossible for the American dream to be attained. So done w life lol
Original post by Jem +
I was going to do this! I was wondering if we could talk about the different types of conflict in the play - as you said, class and gender. Decided to play it safe as I spent too much time planning for the Sheila and Gerald question, only to do the conflict question in the end! :mad:
bye bye A*

Ah, well you never know, tbh I wish I had done a plan for mine, but I started writing about Gerald and Sheila as well, got a few lines into the first paragraph and was like, nah :tongue:
Original post by mollycatb
I chose the question on conflict and I elaborated on the conflict within the characters, the impending warfare, the conflict between the classes and Eric's conflict between himself and his family. Is it bad that I said that Eric's drinking habits could illustrate his detachment from the capitalist doctrine as he is evidently uninhibited my the prospect of tainting his family's reputation and how as a result, he's more receptive to The inspectors overall message of societal unity? Feel like I've messed up. I also only had 20 minutes to write the Of Mice and Men section and I I started talking utter rubbish about how the patriarchy and economic instability of the 1930s makes it impossible for the American dream to be attained. So done w life lol

From that, it sounds like you did well. Stop stressing xD
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by sarahrose123
Please tell me I wasn't the only one that wrote about eric and sheila's relationship instead of gerald and sheila's relationship by accident in an inspector calls....

I was going do that question! It wasn't until I got out that I realised it was on Gerald n not Eric hahaha planned for the answer and everything, ended up doing conflict instead lol
I wrote about how materialistic there relationship is aswell so thats okay, the other point is good too!:smile:
For AIC I did the conflict question cause I started planning Gerald and Sheila but realised I had way more to write about doing conflict :L .... I started with the change in lighting and how that created tension for whats about to happen, then i wrote about the arguments that the family had and when sheila handed back the engagement ring and how the family is fake and Eric argues with his mother and how the inspector tells people to stop talking etc... kinda ranted about every tense moment in the play tbh. The i did OMAM which was ok, like picking out the features of Lennie and how George treats the situation. Then for part (b) I wrote about curley's wife, candy, crooks and george&Lennie only to realise it said to write about one or two characters so i wrote the examiner a note saying they all shared the same dream! :')
Original post by sarahrose123
Please tell me I wasn't the only one that wrote about eric and sheila's relationship instead of gerald and sheila's relationship by accident in an inspector calls....

don't worry they'll mark what you wrote. one girl in my year answered a section from an exam she hadn't studied and they gave her an A* as a predicted grade. they'll mark it as if the question was what you answered

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending