The Student Room Group

AQA Macroeconomics (Unit 2) OLD SPEC (AS level Resits)

Hope you've all done well!

How do you think the paper went and what contexts did you peeps choose?

Scroll to see replies

I think the paper went really really well!

I did context 2 because the 25 marker was amazing.

I didn't manage to get everything I wanted in the 25 marker tho but I still finished it.

How does everyone else feel?
i did context 2, what a great question.
multiple choice was meh, they didn't give me the multiple choice answer sheet until 10 mins into the exam, so wasted time putting the answers in that after urgh.

there were some hard multiple choice questions but the essay at the end was good
Was quite tough I found, chose context 1 but struggled with time on the 25 Marker.

What were the consequences of a rapid fall in the exchange rate other than that it is inflationary and causes unemployment?
I said less spare capacity meant that the economy was almost operating at its productive potential. Not sure if that counts as a definition. Then I said that as AD increases, inflation rises and there's an upward pressure on prices because supply can't be increased due to all resources being completely utilised so productive potential would have to increase to reduce prices again. Not sure if that's even right tbh
Reply 5
Original post by JamezWebb
Was quite tough I found, chose context 1 but struggled with time on the 25 Marker.

What were the consequences of a rapid fall in the exchange rate other than that it is inflationary and causes unemployment?

wasn't it a rise in the exchange rate?
Original post by Nik12
wasn't it a rise in the exchange rate?

Fall in the value of the pound!
Reply 7
Original post by JamezWebb
Fall in the value of the pound!

was the question not a fall in value pound caused by a depreciation in echange rate
Does anyone have a copy of the multiple choice with answers?
Original post by Kiranjott
I said less spare capacity meant that the economy was almost operating at its productive potential. Not sure if that counts as a definition. Then I said that as AD increases, inflation rises and there's an upward pressure on prices because supply can't be increased due to all resources being completely utilised so productive potential would have to increase to reduce prices again. Not sure if that's even right tbh

It is right, to an extent. As a definition it should be fine, and although you've delved a bit deep in the realm of explaining it rather than defining it, you're showing the examiner you understand the stuff but do not know the def by heart. Should be fine.

I for one went for Context 2 and messed up really badly on the essay question. I never really read the textbook or anything but I do a lot of extra reading online. Sadly, the question was too open ended for me so I've likely waffled a lot and didn't hit the mark scheme.

Last year it went really well but they didn't grade my stuff because it wasn't in the textbook, despite it being correct. I was just told yesterday that there's a shortage of Economics teachers at AQA so they're hiring god damn Maths teachers who know nothing about the subject and go only by the mark scheme.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by GCSEgirl13
i did context 2, what a great question.
multiple choice was meh, they didn't give me the multiple choice answer sheet until 10 mins into the exam, so wasted time putting the answers in that after urgh.

there were some hard multiple choice questions but the essay at the end was good

It must have only been one minute though. Usually in the last min of the exam you do more damage than good to an essay or any other answer for that matter.

What'd you write for the essay question? Could you be a slight bit more descriptive and perhaps show if you've hit the evaluation/analysis parts of it? Did you use any extracts?
Original post by Caius Filimon
It is right, to an extent. As a definition it should be fine, and although you've delved a deep in the realm of explaining it rather than defining it, you're showing the examiner you understand the stuff but do not know the def by heart. Should be fine.

I for one went for Context 2 and messed up really badly on the essay question. I never really read the textbook or anything but I do a lot of extra reading online. Sadly, the question was too open ended for me so I've likely waffled a lot and didn't hit the mark scheme.

Last year it went really well but they didn't grade my stuff because it wasn't in the textbook, despite it being correct. I was just told yesterday that there's a shortage of Economics teachers at AQA so they're hiring god damn Maths teachers who know nothing about the subject and go only by the mark scheme.

I drew a diagram with that explanation and that was pretty much my entire 12 marker :frown: what did you talk about in your essay?!
Swear it was a rise in the value of the pound! XD and appreciation
Original post by Kiranjott
I drew a diagram with that explanation and that was pretty much my entire 12 marker :frown: what did you talk about in your essay?!

Oh I see, well, you should still get at least 4 marks on the diagram, and at least 2/4 more for that explanation, so it shouldn't be too bad ^^ Perhaps you could've referred to the figure.

I just talked of the adv of monetary policy in the form of interest rates being able to raise AD in the economy, drew the keynesian LRAS and AD and showed a shift in demand. Showed how more employment would result as the economy employs more of its factors of production, including labor, to soak up the extra demand. Then said of how the employment would lead to more consumer confidence, even more AD, etc.

Disadvantage of monetary policy in the form of AD going too high up on the Keynesian LRAS, causing just demand pull inflation and little else, talking about government failure and how it might not know how low to set the interest rate and also that it's not very viable to reduce the interest rate below 0% (so it's a policy with 'finite uses')

Adv of fiscal: can encourage certain ways of spending the money, and not just mindlessly increase AD as in the case of monetary policy. Talked about how the gov could use expansionary fiscal policy to encourage R&D in companies to increase long term dynamism in the economy and increase trend rate of growth, together with increasing the AD by increasing business confidence through tax exonerations and subsidies, which will cause an increase in investment (part of AD). Hitting two birds with one stone thing

Disadv of fiscal: opportunity cost as the gov would have to increase budget deficit to pay for the stuff if unwilling to raise taxes as well. Crowding out of the private sector. Could've spent money on education/healthcare.

And a crappy conclusion I didn't have time to finish.

All in all it was terrible compared to what I used to manage :/ How'd you manage?
Original post by CallumJSC
Swear it was a rise in the value of the pound! XD and appreciation

A rapid fall in the currency should lead to more employment as AD increases, gobbling up spare capacity, due to having to supply exports to the rest of the world as they become cheaper to foreign nations due to the UK's weaker currency...

Are you sure that was the MC?

I think it was along the lines of 'an economy experiencing high unemployment and high inflation, a fall in the rate of exchange will cause wot:' and it would be more employment.
I think those confused with appreciation vs depreciation is because the new spec had an appreciation question but the old spec had a depreciation question
youre deffo right! thank you :smile: typed in new spec and it came up with old spec, cheers physics.
Original post by Caius Filimon
Oh I see, well, you should still get at least 4 marks on the diagram, and at least 2/4 more for that explanation, so it shouldn't be too bad ^^ Perhaps you could've referred to the figure.

I just talked of the adv of monetary policy in the form of interest rates being able to raise AD in the economy, drew the keynesian LRAS and AD and showed a shift in demand. Showed how more employment would result as the economy employs more of its factors of production, including labor, to soak up the extra demand. Then said of how the employment would lead to more consumer confidence, even more AD, etc.

Disadvantage of monetary policy in the form of AD going too high up on the Keynesian LRAS, causing just demand pull inflation and little else, talking about government failure and how it might not know how low to set the interest rate and also that it's not very viable to reduce the interest rate below 0% (so it's a policy with 'finite uses':wink:

Adv of fiscal: can encourage certain ways of spending the money, and not just mindlessly increase AD as in the case of monetary policy. Talked about how the gov could use expansionary fiscal policy to encourage R&D in companies to increase long term dynamism in the economy and increase trend rate of growth, together with increasing the AD by increasing business confidence through tax exonerations and subsidies, which will cause an increase in investment (part of AD). Hitting two birds with one stone thing

Disadv of fiscal: opportunity cost as the gov would have to increase budget deficit to pay for the stuff if unwilling to raise taxes as well. Crowding out of the private sector. Could've spent money on education/healthcare.

And a crappy conclusion I didn't have time to finish.

All in all it was terrible compared to what I used to manage :/ How'd you manage?

That sounds really good tbh. what do you normally average in essays? You seem to have included a decent amount!! i talked about fiscal policy and increasing AD(reducing tax and increasing govt revenue). Increasing govt revenue on welfare benefits resulting in more consumption in the economy therefore employment. However, an increase in inflation means international competitiveness of exports is reduced therefore unemployment would rise. Also, there's no guarantee that consumers will spend with lower tax rates. I also talked about monetary policy and how low interest rates stimulate demand and can result in greater investment(supply side effect). This would shift the lras curve to the right and therefore increase output and employment. Also inflation remains low, so exports increase therefore employment increased too.But with monetary policy, there's an issue with business confidence so they may choose not to invest. Unfortunately, I didn't get time to include supply side policies like educating the labour force or increasing incentives :frown:
It dosent cause unemployment, lower exchange rate value means cheaper exports , more demanded, more labour demanded to produce those goods and lower unemployment. Plus a better account balance increases as as more exports and fewer imports, as they become relatively more expensive.
Reply 19
i chose context 1 which i found okay however i ran out of time and didn't mange to write a conclusion :/

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending