The Student Room Group

How schol shoudd be done

How do you feel about the current Uk's education system? I hate it i think it really let me down i think if we could reform it would give everyone a much better education experience now the first thing I would is I would abolish school uniforms there uncomfortable and usually badly made. I think if kids could where their own cloth (within reason) behaviour would improve because kids are now comfortable and thee for behaviour will be better.
Now the next thing I would do is I would have single desks with a teacher at the front (think the school in the Simpsons) this should stop most of the talking in class improving pupal productivity in class.
Now this next bit is common sense Class one to 4 would focus on core subjects Math English and basic science Muplication would be taught from day 1 is the basis for most other types of math. At the end of every year there would be an exam if you don’t pass to an expectable standard you don’t move on to the next year unless your results over the year are good. If you need to bump up your grades to an expectable standard you can go to summer school if you fail that you got to retake the year. Class 4 to 6 would introduce some more advanced mathematic functions while still focusing on the core subjects at this point midterms would also be introduced to see where classes were poor and then the teacher could focus on these weaknesses grades would also be introduced in class 6 with projects the style that would be introduced I secondary school with a GPA for the year that would determine their stream in school there would also be the normal test at the end of the year.
Secondary school would introduce a revised curriculum of History and Geography but the Emphases would still be on science Math an English we would also introduce Health and nutrition school lunches oud reflect this new subject exams will now be midterms and final end of year exams your GPA will be 70%project 20% exams (includes mid-terms) in year 9 you do your options including a science and music or an art subject this incudes preforming arts your GPA is reset at 16 you can choose to do an apprentership or A-levels with a view of going to uni with the same GPA exam distribution for A-leva students.

Scroll to see replies

Maybe schools should have more emphasis on teaching kids SPAG.
Reply 2
I feel like that was written intentionally badly.
I disagree on the specifics. I don't think English should even be taught in secondary school. Whilst we can all write badly intentionally, anyone with a reasonable level of intelligence can write something without making errors if they put some small amount of effort in. You pick it up by reading books etc. and not spending years being "taught" how to use an apostrophe.
Projects and coursework are too easily influenced by corrupt, stupid or mean teachers. Exams need to be the main assessment in qualifications.
GPA is a rubbish system.
some people just can't deal with exams this is why gpa is a good idea
Reply 5
Original post by offhegoes
I feel like that was written intentionally badly.

lol
Reply 6
Original post by morgan8002
I disagree on the specifics. I don't think English should even be taught in secondary school. Whilst we can all write badly intentionally, anyone with a reasonable level of intelligence can write something without making errors if they put some small amount of effort in. You pick it up by reading books etc. and not spending years being "taught" how to use an apostrophe.
Projects and coursework are too easily influenced by corrupt, stupid or mean teachers. Exams need to be the main assessment in qualifications.
GPA is a rubbish system.

Very few schools could ditch English without experiencing a dramatic drop in overall literacy levels. They would be negligent to do so.
Very few schools could ditch English without experiencing a dramatic drop in overall literacy levels. They would be negligent to do so.

What do you mean by literacy levels? The overwhelming majority of people get taught to read and write at the age of 4 or 5, either by the school or their parent(s). My statement was about secondary schools. If someone cannot read and write by the time they reach secondary school then they should receive whatever support they need in order to learn, but it shouldn't come at the expense of the >99% who are literate at that age.
If you mean more general knowledge of grammar, spelling etc. then they'll either learn it in primary school or will pick it up as they go along. They'll already know everything taught in English in secondary school anyway so what's the point?
Reply 8
What do you mean by literacy levels? The overwhelming majority of people get taught to read and write at the age of 4 or 5, either by the school or their parent(s). My statement was about secondary schools. If someone cannot read and write by the time they reach secondary school then they should receive whatever support they need in order to learn, but it shouldn't come at the expense of the >99% who are literate at that age.
If you mean more general knowledge of grammar, spelling etc. then they'll either learn it in primary school or will pick it up as they go along. They'll already know everything taught in English in secondary school anyway so what's the point?

So you think that 99% of people don't improve their literacy skills during secondary school?

The weight of evidence done by educational istitutions is against that opinion. Do you have a source for your information?
So you think that 99% of people don't improve their literacy skills during secondary school?

The weight of evidence done by educational istitutions is against that opinion. Do you have a source for your information?

No. Unless you have a neurodegenerative disorder you'd struggle not to increase your literacy skills on any long time interval, regardless of the education you're receiving during that time. I'm sure the majority of secondary school children manage to improve during those 5 years. I'll even concede that English classes may make some tiny contribution towards this improvement. It's not worth the huge amount of time and effort that is wasted currently though.

What opinion? What are "istitutions"? It's primary research: I spent over a decade going to several schools and observing English lessons by various teachers.
Reply 10
No. Unless you have a neurodegenerative disorder you'd struggle not to increase your literacy skills on any long time interval, regardless of the education you're receiving during that time. I'm sure the majority of secondary school children manage to improve during those 5 years. I'll even concede that English classes may make some tiny contribution towards this improvement. It's not worth the huge amount of time and effort that is wasted currently though.

What opinion? What are "istitutions"? It's primary research: I spent over a decade going to several schools and observing English lessons by various teachers.

"Istitutions" was a mistype, clearly. The word was supposed to be "institutions". You may notice only one letter different, in case you were struggling to figure that out.

Let me give one example: Education Scotland. Changes to approaches to education should be researched-based, informed by qualified professionals, and not what people reckon to be the case.
Reply 11
what about crushing children's creativity by not encouraging any arts or humanties at a younger age? Just teaching science, maths, english would take the joy out of learning and put so many kids off school, and it helps brain development to learn about subjects like that when you're young! I don't even know what kind of school you want but it sounds like soul-crushing one to me. sorry.
"Istitutions" was a mistype, clearly. The word was supposed to be "institutions". You may notice only one letter different, in case you were struggling to figure that out.

Let me give one example: Education Scotland. Changes to approaches to education should be researched-based, informed by qualified professionals, and not what people reckon to be the case.

You know, you've got to keep that literacy up since the only possible way you could improve it is via English lessons.

I agree, although I'm not sure about the qualified professionals. We should start the trials as soon as possible. What do you think a qualified professional is in this case? I also think we should come up with a purpose for English lessons in secondary schools so that we can test whether they're fullfilling that purpose.
(edited 7 years ago)
Skoll should not be done, I prefer Budweiser personally....
Original post by New- Emperor
How do you feel about the current Uk's education system? I hate it i think it really let me down i think if we could reform it would give everyone a much better education experience now the first thing I would is I would abolish school uniforms there uncomfortable and usually badly made. I think if kids could where their own cloth (within reason) behaviour would improve because kids are now comfortable and thee for behaviour will be better.
Now the next thing I would do is I would have single desks with a teacher at the front (think the school in the Simpsons) this should stop most of the talking in class improving pupal productivity in class.
Now this next bit is common sense Class one to 4 would focus on core subjects Math English and basic science Muplication would be taught from day 1 is the basis for most other types of math. At the end of every year there would be an exam if you don’t pass to an expectable standard you don’t move on to the next year unless your results over the year are good. If you need to bump up your grades to an expectable standard you can go to summer school if you fail that you got to retake the year. Class 4 to 6 would introduce some more advanced mathematic functions while still focusing on the core subjects at this point midterms would also be introduced to see where classes were poor and then the teacher could focus on these weaknesses grades would also be introduced in class 6 with projects the style that would be introduced I secondary school with a GPA for the year that would determine their stream in school there would also be the normal test at the end of the year.
Secondary school would introduce a revised curriculum of History and Geography but the Emphases would still be on science Math an English we would also introduce Health and nutrition school lunches oud reflect this new subject exams will now be midterms and final end of year exams your GPA will be 70%project 20% exams (includes mid-terms) in year 9 you do your options including a science and music or an art subject this incudes preforming arts your GPA is reset at 16 you can choose to do an apprentership or A-levels with a view of going to uni with the same GPA exam distribution for A-leva students.

No the students must want to learn for them not to talk, enforcing it doesn't help because the class can be quite an all but at the end of they day they might not learn anything.

why do we need english? you literally need to know punctuation how to read and grammar and that's it, i don't need to ****ing analyse some ******** poem which only happens in GCSE's I'm not gonna be an english teacher or any english related course.
Maybe i need to know how to write an essay but that's about it.
Original post by New- Emperor
GPA :lol:

They should teach paragraphing.
Reply 16
You know, you've got to keep that literacy up since the only possible way you could improve it is via English lessons.

I agree, although I'm not sure about the qualified professionals. We should start the trials as soon as possible. What do you think a qualified professional is in this case? I also think we should come up with a purpose for English lessons in secondary schools so that we can test whether they're fullfilling that purpose.

Improving literacy skills and understanding of literature, although I'm not an English teacher.

I would assume the minimum requirement would be to have hold a graduate degree or postgraduate qualification in teachin or education, plus experience in schools.

It would be wrong hold trials, treating children as guinea pigs essentially, without at the very least one research paper on the theory, peer-reviewed.
Improving literacy skills and understanding of literature, although I'm not an English teacher.

I would assume the minimum requirement would be to have hold a graduate degree or postgraduate qualification in teachin or education, plus experience in schools.

It would be wrong hold trials, treating children as guinea pigs essentially, without at the very least one research paper on the theory, peer-reviewed.

How are they supposed to get a research paper without holding trials on children? Teach chimpanzees or adults English? Are you opposed to medical trials?
Reply 18
How are they supposed to get a research paper without holding trials on children? Teach chimpanzees or adults English? Are you opposed to medical trials?

No, but unless I'm mistaken it isn't a case of someone thinking up an idea then holding trials. There needs to be studies done on why the trial might work. Same with education, research needs to be done on the theory side first.
No, but unless I'm mistaken it isn't a case of someone thinking up an idea then holding trials. There needs to be studies done on why the trial might work. Same with education, research needs to be done on the theory side first.

Yes. This is different situation though. By analogy it's a drug that's already in circulation(and mandatory for everyone to use), is very expensive, has a horrible method of use and we have no idea if it works, what the side effects are and whether there's even a condition that needs treating. Also, the drug has a little theoretical grounding, but it's shaky. We might want to find out the answers to these questions rather than blindly continuing to use the drug.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending