The Student Room Group

AQA GCSE The Woman in Black 2016 *official thread*

Scroll to see replies

Reply 120
Original post by Redcoats
What did everyone write?

I did the Spider question, so I wrote about how we grow to trust Spider's reactions (basically the point I made on the other page about Kipps being an unreliable narrator), and as a result, whenever she is scared, it creates tension in the chapter. Did loads of close analysis on when the dog is "whimpering from one corner" (or something) in the nursery. Also wrote about how Spider's reactions (as a result of our trust in her) create climaxes of terror yet quickly diffuse any tension in the book. Then wrote about when she's growling in the night, yet there appears to be nothing there, which hints that she has some sort of sixth sense and adds to the sense of a supernatural presence in the house (Gothic convention!) The dog's physical reaction shows how the Woman in Black and her movements are real and not something just created in Arthur's mind. Finally, how she adds to our fear of the Woman in Black as even though Spider appears less susceptible to her than Arthur is, she simply needs to whistle for the dog to do her bidding without suspicion. Shows her power over all of nature and creates fear in the reader!

I only wrote 8 sides [4 for WIB], how'd you write so much! Which other text did you study?
Reply 121
Original post by 11ahf
I did the Spider question, so I wrote about how we grow to trust Spider's reactions (basically the point I made on the other page about Kipps being an unreliable narrator), and as a result, whenever she is scared, it creates tension in the chapter. Did loads of close analysis on when the dog is "whimpering from one corner" (or something) in the nursery. Also wrote about how Spider's reactions (as a result of our trust in her) create climaxes of terror yet quickly diffuse any tension in the book. Then wrote about when she's growling in the night, yet there appears to be nothing there, which hints that she has some sort of sixth sense and adds to the sense of a supernatural presence in the house (Gothic convention!) The dog's physical reaction shows how the Woman in Black and her movements are real and not something just created in Arthur's mind. Finally, how she adds to our fear of the Woman in Black as even though Spider appears less susceptible to her than Arthur is, she simply needs to whistle for the dog to do her bidding without suspicion. Shows her power over all of nature and creates fear in the reader!

I only wrote 8 sides [4 for WIB], how'd you write so much! Which other text did you study?

Really excellent ideas above. Well done - you should be proud yourself. I have absolutely no idea why I was able to write so much. I do not have gargantuan handwriting and I was not exactly 'on top of' my time. My other text was To Kill a Mockingbird. What about you?
Reply 122
Really excellent ideas above. Well done - you should be proud yourself. I have absolutely no idea why I was able to write so much. I do not have gargantuan handwriting and I was not exactly 'on top of' my time. My other text was To Kill a Mockingbird. What about you?

Thank you! Think it goes without saying your ideas were wonderful and insightful, too. "Delightful with flair", to quote the language mark scheme. :wink: What did you write about the Oedipus complex? I didn't pick up on it as a theme when reading the book, but with Hill's obsession with including every feature of the Gothic ever, I have no doubt it's in there. :tongue:

How were your other questions? I did Of Mice and Men, and am so glad I checked TSR last night, as it was about - as predicted - the American Dream and Lennie's death (which should have been obvious, really, considering it's the last year and all.) I almost didn't include an effects on the reader sentence, I didn't realise until the invigilators were saying "finish your last sentence," so I ended up writing some bs about how heartbreaking it was to see George killing both Lennie and his dream. Think I might have dropped a few bands on that one! :')
Reply 123
Original post by 11ahf
Thank you! Think it goes without saying your ideas were wonderful and insightful, too. "Delightful with flair", to quote the language mark scheme. :wink: What did you write about the Oedipus complex? I didn't pick up on it as a theme when reading the book, but with Hill's obsession with including every feature of the Gothic ever, I have no doubt it's in there. :tongue:

How were your other questions? I did Of Mice and Men, and am so glad I checked TSR last night, as it was about - as predicted - the American Dream and Lennie's death (which should have been obvious, really, considering it's the last year and all.) I almost didn't include an effects on the reader sentence, I didn't realise until the invigilators were saying "finish your last sentence," so I ended up writing some bs about how heartbreaking it was to see George killing both Lennie and his dream. Think I might have dropped a few bands on that one! :':wink:

I did Of Mice and Men as well, the thing is - we didn't need to talk about the death of the dream in the second part because I'm sure you already referred to it in part a, so don't worry about dropping bands I don't think you will. I talked about George and Lennie's dream, included Candy partly to show it's 'magnetic' quality and then went on to talk about Crooks' marginalisation etc.. what did you write about?
Reply 124
Original post by 11ahf

How were your other questions? I did Of Mice and Men, and am so glad I checked TSR last night, as it was about - as predicted - the American Dream and Lennie's death (which should have been obvious, really, considering it's the last year and all.) I almost didn't include an effects on the reader sentence, I didn't realise until the invigilators were saying "finish your last sentence," so I ended up writing some bs about how heartbreaking it was to see George killing both Lennie and his dream. Think I might have dropped a few bands on that one! :':wink:

I am flattered by your compliments. I thank you greatly. I only wrote one sentence about the Oedipus sentence where I explained how the Woman in Black and here supernatural disposition were commanded by the loose Oedipus complex in the relationship that she had with her son. She is incredibly possessive over him (a natural oedipus complex trait) and so exercises repetitive compulsion in killing other children.

The passage for the TKAM question was not at all what people predicted but I found it quite easy. The part B question was a gift from God (no offence to atheists) - ridiculously open and with lots to talk about.
Reply 125
Let me first applaud the careless abandon with which you chose random digits to create a large number (12321). I wrote about the Woman in Black first where I analysed the sibilance in "stretched and strained" and the plosive in "blue white sheen". I spoke about the seduction of Kipps, Hill presents the supernatural as initially admirable - I linked this to the sublime. I then made a passing comment on the Oedipus Complex and repetitive compulsion.

I then explained how Hill presents the supernatural as malicious through the affect it has on Kipps. I analysed the sound of the pony and trap. He describes his nerves as "jangled" where the the metal connotations suggest the dehumanising of Kipps. I then spoke of Jerome's reaction and what this suggests about the supernatural. I then looked at the mere mention of the supernatural and its effect on the Landlord. The idea that his "face flickered" is intriguing as flickered connotates to a candle being blown out. However the fricatives in "face flickered" causes an exhale of breath in reading showing how the reader is almost blowing out the candle of the Landlord's life. This shows how the supernatural is so powerful that it can almost seep through the pages and affect the reader, possessing them almost.

I wrote 5 sides if I remember correctly (for the whole exam I wrote 11 sides). How much did you write?

Firstley let me disarm your reproof, as the palindromic number was deliberately crafted. I digress.
I also analysed the 'strained and stretched' and the eerie sheen of the woman, I like the idea about the Landlord, a little obscure but insightful. I don't completely remember how many pages I wrote, yet I think it may have been just less than 4.

I really regret not using more thorough language analysis, I'm capable but under time constraint I always feel rushed.
Reply 126
Original post by etata
I did Of Mice and Men as well, the thing is - we didn't need to talk about the death of the dream in the second part because I'm sure you already referred to it in part a, so don't worry about dropping bands I don't think you will. I talked about George and Lennie's dream, included Candy partly to show it's 'magnetic' quality and then went on to talk about Crooks' marginalisation etc.. what did you write about?

I don't think I wrote about the effects on the reader much in part B - it was all context, context, context!

It's really interesting to see the variety of characters wrote about in part B - will make for a much less boring one to mark for the examiners.

I wrote about how the naivety of Curley's wife's dream is used to show how futile all dreams were in the Great Depression, and how her unlikely dream was just as valid as those who shared the American Dream, because none of them would happen. I also wrote about how characters value and hold onto their dreams as they're all they have got, and how the tiny bit of hope they provide keep the characters going - e.g. how Curley's wife convicts her mother of stealing her letter to attempt to keep her dream alive.

I then wrote about how Slim is viewed as a God and the 'ideal' ranch worker, and how he is proud to have no dreams. He's also generally shown to be the happiest! Shows how Steinbeck feels that the dreams of the itinerant workers at the time were futile, as they are unattainable, and how he felt it was better for people to not have dreams and to instead enjoy the life they lived at the moment.
Reply 127
I am flattered by your compliments. I thank you greatly. I only wrote one sentence about the Oedipus sentence where I explained how the Woman in Black and her supernatural disposition were commanded by the loose Oedipus complex in the relationship that she had with her son. She is incredibly possessive over him (a natural oedipus complex trait) and so exercises repetitive compulsion in killing other children.

The passage for the TKAM question was not at all what people predicted but I found it quite easy. The part B question was a gift from God (no offence to atheists) - ridiculously open and with lots to talk about.

I see! That's a good little point you've got there. c;

I feel like the questions were rather kind to everyone - hoping that doesn't mean that the poetry on Friday will be ultra difficult? Which cluster are you doing?
Reply 128
Original post by 11ahf
I see! That's a good little point you've got there. c;

I feel like the questions were rather kind to everyone - hoping that doesn't mean that the poetry on Friday will be ultra difficult? Which cluster are you doing?

Character and Voice. What about you?
Reply 129
Character and Voice. What about you?

Conflict!
For supernatural did anyone consider:-
Spider to show supernatural through the use of the dog and the 6th sense.
Maybe even the description of wind and the banshee as it shows her expression almost, whilst also creating foreshadowing
Reply 131
Original post by Qertydhbwj
Maybe even the description of wind and the banshee as it shows her expression almost, whilst also creating foreshadowing

English is subjective, so both of these points are valid and strong. I did allude to her use of weather in pathetic fallacy to anchor the supernatural in realism of London to create a more immediate and insidious effect. But the concept of the 'banshee' is vehemently supernatural and would tie in nicely with the theme.
Reply 132
Original post by Qertydhbwj

I did the reverse - sort of - writing about how Spider created tension by reacting to nothing, alluding at a sixth sense, and hence suggesting the supernatural, which builds even more fear in the reader towards Eel Marsh House. :wink:

The wind's a very good point! What else did you write about? :tongue:
i wrote about the fog, description of woman in black - "blue white sheen", mr jerome's reaction

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending