The Student Room Group

Media gcse exam AQA ... any tips?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by olivia224
Does anyone taking the media exam on Tuesday have any family scifi films to use as examples and also what are your ideas for a film plot??

Divergent, The Hunger Games, Transformers are some examples and go for the fil. which you can easily work with. I'm using the last day and wtiting about an Apocolypse.
Reply 21
I got A* in my coursework but mine has also been sent off for moderation so who knows what'll happen. Basically, you need a storyline, a few characters and a few locations. Maybe a tag line too. Most of that is easier once you have a stroyline. Then design a storyboard for the trailer or the beginning of the film. Design a poster and design a web page as any of these could be an option for question 4. For question 3 think about how your film hits the target audience and how you could market and merchandise you're film, eg. dolls, tops etc
OMG I need as much last minute help as possible!!

3 marks off an A* in my coursework and currently getting an F in my exam work, that averages out as a C but I want way more!! I've had major problems doing exam work and have struggled so much and added with a teacher that barely helps me I'm set to fail.

Any help would be welcome, thank you so much guys!!

Amy
I've chosen space and time and have included time travel but I'm struggling to link it to space so might go with the last day one but don't want it to be too scary as it is for a family audience, any ideas??
Original post by olivia224
I've chosen space and time and have included time travel but I'm struggling to link it to space so might go with the last day one but don't want it to be too scary as it is for a family audience, any ideas??

My storyline is where there is your stereotypical family (mum, dad, son and daughter) and one night the son dreams of aliens coming to life, he wakes up the next morning and his dream comes true with aliens coming to earth but, the disruption being the aliens thinking that adults are a threat unlike children so the son and daughter have to tell the aliens that adults are not a threat so they go up to space with an alien which they've became friends with to tell the "boss alien" to stop attacking the adults...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by brada033
OMG I need as much last minute help as possible!!

3 marks off an A* in my coursework and currently getting an F in my exam work, that averages out as a C but I want way more!! I've had major problems doing exam work and have struggled so much and added with a teacher that barely helps me I'm set to fail.

Any help would be welcome, thank you so much guys!!

Amy

Well your main focus now should be on key media terminology which you can chuck in to your answers. Briefly research Todorov's and Propps theories as well as Uses and Gratifications theory and then research as much as you can about Sci-fi and make sure you have two examples at the ready. Its just over a day till the exam but you can do it!!
But honestly picking media is my biggest regret so lets just pray that they're a liiiiittttllee bit generous this year.
Good luck! X
Original post by Justsomestudent1
Well your main focus now should be on key media terminology which you can chuck in to your answers. Briefly research Todorov's and Propps theories as well as Uses and Gratifications theory and then research as much as you can about Sci-fi and make sure you have two examples at the ready. Its just over a day till the exam but you can do it!!
But honestly picking media is my biggest regret so lets just pray that they're a liiiiittttllee bit generous this year.
Good luck! X

Thank you, this has helped. I will try and do so but at the end of the day, I know I can only do my best.

Same tho seriously why did I take this subject....

GOOD LUCK TO EVERYONE!! X
Original post by brada033
Thank you, this has helped. I will try and do so but at the end of the day, I know I can only do my best.

Same tho seriously why did I take this subject....

GOOD LUCK TO EVERYONE!! X

Good luck to everyone!!! Very nervous 😬

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Joshhhhh44
Good luck to everyone!!! Very nervous 😬

Posted from TSR Mobile

Good luck! I'm honestly not prepared for this exam. I know most of the theories but I have no idea on how to apply them because... guess what! I haven't been watching Sci-Fi films :redface:. I am really hoping that an audience question, maybe marketing and to design a website or a DVD cover will come up. Anything else then I am dead.

Also: Does anyone know what grade I will get if i'm sitting on an A on my coursework if I get a C in the exam or even a D :frown:
Good luck :smile:
Reply 30
Make sure you read about some of the following theories:
- Uses and Gratifications (Blumer and Katz)
- Propp's theory in relation to character roles
-Barthes// enigma, action code, referential code
-Todorov's Theory
- Hyperdermic Needle Theory

And try to apply the ones which are the most compatible with your answer.
Original post by Scullzyy
Good luck! I'm honestly not prepared for this exam. I know most of the theories but I have no idea on how to apply them because... guess what! I haven't been watching Sci-Fi films :redface:. I am really hoping that an audience question, maybe marketing and to design a website or a DVD cover will come up. Anything else then I am dead.

Also: Does anyone know what grade I will get if i'm sitting on an A on my coursework if I get a C in the exam or even a D :frown:

You are very similar to me, I don't actually like science fiction films but as long as you have at the ready to talk about you'll be okay. Coursework wise, again, my teacher marked it as an A/B but it had to be sent off so god knows what's going to happen,but because coursework is 60% and if you're on an A, I would guess a D may just be good enough for you to pass

All the best

Posted from TSR Mobile
I got a B in my coursework which really disappointed me. It was, however a high B, if I get an A in my exam do you think could achieve a A overall?
Original post by funkypineapple6
I got a B in my coursework which really disappointed me. It was, however a high B, if I get an A in my exam do you think could achieve a A overall?

Maybe... But it is 60% coursework, it may be a struggle

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 34
My coursework was on the borderline of a C/B like it was just on the mark for a B do you think if I got a high A* in my exam I could get an A?
My teacher said I needed 35/60 marks on the exam to get an A, so what does that mean I got on my coursework?
Guys did anyone annotate the website because I didnt as we've never made one in class😅 help!!!
I AnnoTated just because my teacher said to but idk if you had to
Original post by Justsomestudent1
Guys did anyone annotate the website because I didnt as we've never made one in class😅 help!!!

I never annotated mine and if you looked at practice examples were someone had to draw a Poster or a DVD cover it wasn't annotated either. So I wouldn't worry :smile:
Original post by Scullzyy
I never annotated mine and if you looked at practice examples were someone had to draw a Poster or a DVD cover it wasn't annotated either. So I wouldn't worry :smile:

I kinda did, I had the idea of having having the actors photo on the website with their name to make it easier for children to understand who's in the film because they would find it easier to tell by pictures

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending