The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

spending 1hour on section a in english then rushing everything else for 30 mins,

Spoiler

Realising you missed out a page on the back of the paper and you've got 5 minutes to do it in before the end :no:
Not me, but a few people in the English Literature GCSE today answered both 45 minute questions :rolleyes: - Despite the large bit of text saying in bold caps "Answer EITHER question 20 OR question 21"
(edited 7 years ago)
About to make this mistake in my AQA RE Unit 3 Exam.

Name 2 legal ways a person becomes wealthy. (2 marks)

Talent - e.g. footballers
Invention - e.g. Steve Jobs who invented MICROSOFT
After completing a 6 mark physics question, I estimated what the answer probably should be in my head, to make sure that my my figure was of the correct order of magnitude. It seemed too big, so I put a note to the teacher stating "I appear to be out by an order of 100".

I finished the exam and realised that I forgot to convert from cm to m
Reply 25
Original post by 11ahf
Did all the working in a computing exam correctly for a stupid, simple binary question.Accidentally missed off one of the 0s in the answer box.Examiner was not generous.Cost me the A*.:frown:
Damn so did you literally miss out on the A* by 1 mark, did you get your paper back, did you get the paper remarked?
For one of my maths exam, I somehow managed to write that 1x4=8
Reply 27
Original post by 99joey
Damn so did you literally miss out on the A* by 1 mark, did you get your paper back, did you get the paper remarked?

Less than 1 mark! I got 269 UMS.

I got it remarked initially as original mark was only 242 and I didn't think I was that bad at computing, but after the remark, I got the script back (which shows the original marking and the remark) and the first examiner had just not credited me for the last 3 pages? Unsure what happened but my school got mad and I got the remark refunded and stuff. The second marker was a harsh marker anyway (obviously, as they didn't credit me for perfect working and an obvious mistake of missing out a digit in the answer box). I was pretty upset that I was so close.

Most irritating thing is, that my friend got hers remarked, too, as she originally got 268, and hers went down 5 UMS. It just sucks because had I got her examiner in the first place, I would have got an A*.

I am still very bitter about all of this and hate the exams system as a result.:tongue:
Reply 28
In an English lit exam, I wrote how a woman was a prostitute and used the quote "men come from miles around to buy from her" and "men came back day by day, night by night" turned out she was selling burgers, I had completely misunderstood the poem. My teacher reported me! :s-smilie:
On one of my physics mocks for P1 at school, I missed out two whole pages worth 10 marks!:frown: This was because there was a random blank page. So I sat for the whole exam thinking I've finished the paper for 10 mins. I don't know how I still got an A on it though.:wink:
Reply 30
Original post by student2607
Well in my C1 GCSE the other day I wrote about the Carbon Dioxide test instead of the Chlorine test as I didn't read the question carefully. I was slightly confused as to why people were talking about litmus paper after, but then I realised how stupid I was.. (Probably the easiest question on the paper aswell)

What? Well I did this too.
The following examples are all in Maths mocks:

1 - After some working, I arrive at the answer of 14:15 (which is right). I write 2:45pm in the answer space (yet I still would've gotten the mark, believe it or not).

2 - In a rationalising denominators question, after arriving at a fraction with a denominator of 5 (as opposed to root-5), I put the root sign back on the 5.

3 - I missed out the last 3 questions because I misread "QUESTION 22 IS WORTH 3 MARKS" as "THE PAPER IS WORTH 100 MARKS". If I had answered those questions in the mock, I would've got an A*.
Same. A girl in my class did that too.:tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by KomradeKorbyn
Not me, but a few people in the English Literature GCSE today answered both 45 minute questions :rolleyes: - Despite the large bit of text saying in bold caps "Answer EITHER question 20 OR question 21"

Same. A girl in my class did this today.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by lonyeka
What? Well I did this too.

That's so weird thought I was the only one, maybe not so rare after all! :O
For the life of me I could not remember the abbreviation for 'that is to say' (viz), so I wrote T.I.T.S. and the teacher read it out in class much to my embarrassment and her mirth!
In my GCSE physics exam I didn't realise there were questions on the back page of the paper and my heart broke as the invigilator lifted it off the desk and I saw the unanswered questions :redface:
Needless to say I had to resit that exam and I haven't made that mistake since:laugh:
I missed an 18 mark question on an M1 paper I spent a week revising for
Original post by Tropojanja
No joke, i did half a page of working out for a 6 mark question and i got zero for forgetting to divide by two. Honestly.

Anyone have their stories to tell about exam mistakes?

I misidentified the shape of a molecule in Unit 1 a-level chemistry exam and gave it the wrong bond angle, kicking myself after
Reply 39
In a geography mock it said explain how COASTLINES ARE PROTECTED and for some reason i started talking about London being sustainable 1/8 marks Lol

Latest