The Student Room Group

Do you agree with the 'Fat Acceptance Movement'?

Quite a controversial topic.

I get where the activists are coming from, that we should accept people no matter what size they are and there should be no discrimination or intolerance towards them.

However, I do feel that informing overweight and obese people that they can do whatever they want is a leading cause of their self-delusion.

I hear a lot of complaints from the community claiming that they're being fired, earning less and not being hired because they're overweight. Somehow I understand why a company wouldn't want to hire them.

What are your thoughts?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
From a person that has gone from clinically obese to a healthy weight in one year I can say I don't agree with it because it is not good to promote that kind of living

As an alternative we should be talking about it in the sense that obese people find it difficult to delay temptation and we should be helping them to improve their ability to delay gratification
Why do you understand why a company wouldn't want to hire someone because of their weight? Despite the fact that they possess the correct qualities- Doesn't that not come across as being shallow?
People become overweight because of different reasons and you can't really judge unless you are in their position- It could be because of genetics; serve depression etc...
"They could lose weight then" Well, yes they could but that could be also a complicated issue sometimes. Yes, they could lose weight but sometimes it might be hard for them because they might have a condition where it is hard to lose weight.

I just think people are really judgmental when it comes to overweight people and think everything is a "You eat too much" situation, when that is not particularly the cause- And in this shallow society they are concerned more about their body image than their health which is both their mental and physical health which is usually ignored.
Reply 3
I think we should ensure that people aren't targeted unfairly because of their weight, but we shouldn't be positively promoting 'fat acceptance' (and this is coming from myself, and I am not exactly a thin person) at all as it just sends out a negative message.

It's not okay to be fat, it's not healthy and it's not something we should promote. We need to tackle the problem not just give up and turn a blind eye to it.
We should not estrange anyone from society. I think that of course everyone should be accepted. But in this case, we should politely encourage people to change if their lifestyle is harming them in any way.
Reply 5
Original post by loveleest
Why do you understand why a company wouldn't want to hire someone because of their weight? Despite the fact that they possess the correct qualities- Doesn't that not come across as being shallow?

A lot of the time potential overweight employees are turned away from more physical jobs for obvious reasons. There should be no complaint if this the case.

Other times I suspect they are turned away for insurance costs. Companies want employees to work long term and offer the most in return. Unfortunately I don't think overweight people offer that.

People become overweight because of different reasons and you can't really judge unless you are in their position- It could be because of genetics; serve depression etc...

There's that thyroid disease that can cause it, but most of the time it's down to the amound of food you eat - you don't get fat because you're depressed, you eat more because you're depressed, but ultimately you get fat because you eat too much. I've suffered from depression, I didn't gain weight - not that I can anyway.

"They could lose weight then" Well, yes they could but that could be also a complicated issue sometimes. Yes, they could lose weight but sometimes it might be hard for them because they might have a condition where it is hard to lose weight.

Nothing is stopping you from losing weight - anyone can. If it's "harder" push harder. Would you give up in a life-threatening situation because it's too "hard"?

I just think people are really judgmental when it comes to overweight people and think everything is a "You eat too much" situation, when that is not particularly the cause- And in this shallow society they are concerned more about their body image than their health which is both their mental and physical health which is usually ignored.

Overweight = unhealthy.

Society thrives on health because health means a long life, there's nothing "shallow" about that.

There is a lot of concern over mental health, and I find that people with mental health are far more open to help than those who are overweight.
Original post by Dodgypirate
A lot of the time potential overweight employees are turned away from more physical jobs for obvious reasons. There should be no complaint if this the case.

Other times I suspect they are turned away for insurance costs. Companies want employees to work long term and offer the most in return. Unfortunately I don't think overweight people offer that.

There's that thyroid disease that can cause it, but most of the time it's down to the amound of food you eat - you don't get fat because you're depressed, you eat more because you're depressed, but ultimately you get fat because you eat too much. I've suffered from depression, I didn't gain weight - not that I can anyway.

Nothing is stopping you from losing weight - anyone can. If it's "harder" push harder. Would you give up in a life-threatening situation because it's too "hard"?

Overweight = unhealthy.

Society thrives on health because health means a long life, there's nothing "shallow" about that.

There is a lot of concern over mental health, and I find that people with mental health are far more open to help than those who are overweight.

Don't imply this as if you are talking directly at me- I am not overweight, I am talking about issues surrounding overweight people.

You sound so ignorant, so because you was depressed and didn't gain weight, other people don't? Do you not hear yourself? That's like saying anorexia shouldn't be an issue, because when I was depressed I didn't become anorexic.
Fat doesn't necessarily mean unhealthy. You can be overweight slightly and still be healthy.
Likewise, you have skinny people that are unhealthy and have health problems, but no one addresses that issue. How many times have you heard skinny girls say "UGHHHH, I am soo lucky, I eat so much junk food but yet I am sooo skinny!" Aren't they not unhealthy too? Maybe even unhealthier than overweight people but yet no one cares because this world is so obsessed with body image.
I'm not in the habit of treating people differently due to their weight, but I do think that idiots could be deluded into thinking that they're healthy by the movement.

Everyone has some fat on them, but if you can be adequately observed to be obese by no more than 10 impartial people then it's probably time to put down the Big Macs and buy some running shoes.
Reply 8
Don't imply this as if you are talking directly at me- I am not overweight, I am talking about issues surrounding overweight people.

Of course not.

You sound so ignorant,

Oh dear.

so because you was depressed and didn't gain weight, other people don't?

Didn't say or imply that.

Do you not hear yourself?

See above.

Fat doesn't necessarily mean unhealthy. You can be overweight slightly and still be healthy.

http://www.healthdirect.gov.au/obesity-symptoms

Likewise, you have skinny people that are unhealthy and have health problems, but no one addresses that issue.

There have be several campaigns to raise awareness of illnesses such as type 2 diabetes which is found in "skinnier" people too.

How many times have you heard skinny girls say "UGHHHH, I am soo lucky, I eat so much junk food but yet I am sooo skinny!" Aren't they not unhealthy too? Maybe even unhealthier than overweight people but yet no one cares because this world is so obsessed with body image.

Body image, but also general health. Mostp people know if you eat too much junk food you'll be unhealthy, no matter if you stay skinny - which is not common.
Abso...frigging...lutely!

Not only should fat people be accepted, there should be positive discrimination in favour of fat people in the job market and university entrance. The UK is way too thinnest.

AND there should be reparations to all the portly and tubby by the thin for historic prejudice and thinnist attitudes.

AND there should be safe places for the morbidly obese so their feelings aren't hurt by thinnist comments.

So thin people have to be no platformed if fat people feel threatened.

And any statues of thin people from history who oppressed fat people (that's everybody) must fall!
Reply 10
I don't mind over weight people as long as they don't go on about how life is because they are overweight
No.
Reply 12
God no.

There is a definite distinction between promoting positive body image and ignoring the negative health effects of being overweight/obese.

At the end of the day people should love their bodies. But loving your body doesn't mean allowing it to balloon to a size that could endanger your health.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 13
i think we should accept them for who they are and not shame them but at the same time encourage them to be healthy. Some people are still overweight despite eating healthily because that's how they normally are without cutting calories and stuff so imo health is to be promoted instead of bashing or praising the obese/ anorexic
We shouldn't make fun of them, but at the same time we shouldn't tell them it's perfectly fine to be fat. Being obese is scientifically proven to not be a good thing. Celebrating people for being fat is kinda like celebrating someone for having diabetes, or a serious disease or infection. Why would you tell them there's nothing wrong with their condition? There quite clearly is something wrong with them, and any doctor can confirm that.

(I was diagnosed as obese last year. I'm not obese anymore because I realised how unfit I was. I couldn't even walk further than a few kilometres without collapsing. So now I go for 3-4 mile walks everyday, and I'm much happier)

If one of those qualities is self-control. The fact they are fat shows they do not possess this quality.

Some people can be genetically disposed to being obese, but a study by Dr Joseph Mazjoub shows this to account for under 1% of obese people. https://www.cam.ac.uk/news/genetic-mutation-causes-obesity.

Also people affected by thyroid conditions also make up less than 1% of obese people.
Ergo, the vast majority of the obese are by choice obese. The only thing that matters is calories in vs calories out. People with a calorie deficit WILL lose weight.

People judge because the image of an obese someone is what signifies their poor health. It is also an unattractive thing to see but the main focal point is their health. So people judge them because obese people literally have everything to gain by losing weight, but choose not to...in detriment not only to themselves but to society as a whole. The fact they often deflect fault elsewhere wherever possible, simply enrages people.
Original post by Jebedee
If one of those qualities is self-control. The fact they are fat shows they do not possess this quality.

Some people can be genetically disposed to being obese, but a study by Dr Joseph Mazjoub shows this to account for under 1% of obese people. https://www.cam.ac.uk/news/genetic-mutation-causes-obesity.

Also people affected by thyroid conditions also make up less than 1% of obese people.
Ergo, the vast majority of the obese are by choice obese. The only thing that matters is calories in vs calories out. People with a calorie deficit WILL lose weight.

People judge because the image of an obese someone is what signifies their poor health. It is also an unattractive thing to see but the main focal point is their health. So people judge them because obese people literally have everything to gain by losing weight, but choose not to...in detriment not only to themselves but to society as a whole. The fact they often deflect fault elsewhere wherever possible, simply enrages people.

I won't lie, being fat/obese is unattractive. I know that...but that is not the point.
I study psychology and obesity is a mental health issue, just like anorexia and it is often ignored as a mental health issue. It's like saying to anorexics "You are unhealthy, just eat more and you WILL gain weight" Do you know how insensitive it sounds? It just doesn't work like that.
I won't lie, being fat/obese is unattractive. I know that...but that is not the point.
I study psychology and obesity is a mental health issue, just like anorexia and it is often ignored as a mental health issue. It's like saying to anorexics "You are unhealthy, just eat more and you WILL gain weight" Do you know how insensitive it sounds? It just doesn't work like that.

He just proposed a study claiming 1% of obesity is caused my anything other than eating too much.

Obesity simply cannot be compared to anorexia.
Original post by Dodgypirate
He just proposed a study claiming 1% of obesity is caused my anything other than eating too much.

Obesity simply cannot be compared to anorexia.

what? why is that?
A lot of studies are biased
Original post by z33
i think we should accept them for who they are and not shame them but at the same time encourage them to be healthy. Some people are still overweight despite eating healthily because that's how they normally are without cutting calories and stuff so imo health is to be promoted instead of bashing or praising the obese/ anorexic

Losing weight is a difficult and enduring process. No one is overweight "normally".

It said person us eating healthy but is still overweight, either they've just started their fat-burning diet or they're not eating healthy.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending