The Student Room Group

Edexcel S3 - Wednesday 25th May AM 2016

Scroll to see replies

Reply 780
Original post by tazza ma razza
read through the thread, i asked this about 2 hrs ago.

you apply sxy and sxx etc using the ranks not the actual data

cheers, thats what i thought.
Does anybody have the paper asking to test if normal distrubtion is a suitable distrubtion?
when doing ch 5 stuff - pmcc and srcc - do you use the ρ in both cases when writing H0 and H1?
(edited 7 years ago)
read through the thread, i asked this about 2 hrs ago.

you apply sxy and sxx etc using the ranks not the actual data

I haven't seen a question like this, have you come across one where they've used ranks to calculate PMCC? Textbook and past paper questions only use the data itself to calculate PMCC.
when doing ch 5 stuff - pmcc and srcc - do you use the ρ in both cases?

Yeh think so.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by physicsmaths

as in the hypothesis writing?????
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by coolguy123456
I haven't seen a question like this, have you come across one where they've used ranks to calculate PMCC? Textbook and past paper questions only use the data itself to calculate PMCC.

Yh, but then ranking would be pointless wouldn't it. Ie you would go straight to the pmcc without ranking.
Yh, but then ranking would be pointless wouldn't it. Ie you would go straight to the pmcc without ranking.

Okay, now I'm confused. Once we have a tie, we average the ranks and calculate the PMCC using only the ranks?

So if they've given data which they've asked to calculate SPCC and then part b for example says 2 ranks are now tied, use PMCC, would we calculate Sxx, Syy, Sxy using the ranks (including the now tied rank)?
Really cba to go back to S1 and S2 after this
Original post by Nikhilm
Really cba to go back to S1 and S2 after this

i got s4 after this :smile:
Original post by kennz
If you are calculating spearmans rank and two units have the same rank, you take an average of that rank and the next and then use PMCC. How would you use PMCC if the data is ranked/ordinal?

What do you mean by "take an average of that rank and the next"?
Original post by coolguy123456
So if they've given data which they've asked to calculate SPCC and then part b for example says 2 ranks are now tied, use PMCC, would we calculate Sxx, Syy, Sxy using the ranks (including the now tied rank)?

yes

eg sxx = sum of x^2 - (sum of x)^2 /n , where x is the rank, not the data

then multiply the 2 ranks as per for sxy
(edited 7 years ago)

ranking it and using spearman is quick but less accurate. i thought you do the pmcc u just calculate it from raw data, i might be wrong since im **** at stats.
Original post by Zacken
Yep, but I doubt the case will arise.

has come up on a past paper i remember, asked you why the degrees of freedom was this value and it was a contingency table, had to combine some frequencies cos one was less than 5
Original post by connorbarr
has come up on a past paper i remember, asked you why the degrees of freedom was this value and it was a contingency table, had to combine some frequencies cos one was less than 5

Yes, June 15. You had to explain why, but you didn't actually have to combine it yourself which was what I was talking about.

june 15 ial
june 15 ial

no lad i havent done that paper

June 15 UK.

june 15 ial

my mistake m8