The Student Room Group

Predictions: Character & Voice AQA Poetry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Lelanor
I like Les Grands Seigneurs too, the only problem is that I'd probably just spell it wrong every time :laugh:

If there's a question where I can comlare LGS to Medusa, paired with unseen I may just manage to get my grade up to an A*. I told myself I'd give up chocolate for September if I get an A* in lit, and I just really want to do it in spite of the fact my english teacher hasn't been too great.

I'm not too sure about COMH, it was one of the first poems we looked at and none of us really understood how to analyse poetry and I have hardly any notes, so I need to go over it before Friday.

Hahaha, me too! I actually had to google it before I wrote it just then :colondollar:.
I'm sure you'll get your A* (though I don't know why anyone would want to give up chocolate! :P)
Yeah we spent a lot of time on it in class which might be why I like it, it's just so easy to compare with 'Singh Song!' :smile:
Original post by CaptErin
Hahaha, me too! I actually had to google it before I wrote it just then :colondollar:.
I'm sure you'll get your A* (though I don't know why anyone would want to give up chocolate! :P)
Yeah we spent a lot of time on it in class which might be why I like it, it's just so easy to compare with 'Singh Song!' :smile:

It's not that I want to give up chocolate, it's more a plea to any higher powers that I don't believe in to make me do well in English Literature (rather than a reward for myself for doing well)

I like Sing Song! and tbh I don't mind most of the poems, but Horse Whisperer and The Ruined Maid I find hardest to analyse.

How do you feel about unseen?
Original post by Lelanor
It's not that I want to give up chocolate, it's more a plea to any higher powers that I don't believe in to make me do well in English Literature (rather than a reward for myself for doing well)

I like Sing Song! and tbh I don't mind most of the poems, but Horse Whisperer and The Ruined Maid I find hardest to analyse.

How do you feel about unseen?

Horse Whisperer kills me! So does My Last Duchess; I missed the lesson and it's just so lengthy it's hard to catch up on :/

I was quite confident with the unseen because they're so short and making up complete rubbish disguised as 'analytical literature points' is like my one literature strength, but then I looked at last year's paper and I think it would have stumped me :/ hoping for something easier this year. What about you?
Original post by CaptErin
Horse Whisperer kills me! So does My Last Duchess; I missed the lesson and it's just so lengthy it's hard to catch up on :/

I was quite confident with the unseen because they're so short and making up complete rubbish disguised as 'analytical literature points' is like my one literature strength, but then I looked at last year's paper and I think it would have stumped me :/ hoping for something easier this year. What about you?

Unseen is my favourite part (out of the controlled assessment and the two exams) because it is so much simpler than everything else and I just write 'The poet presents the idea of ____ as _____ ' or something like that for AO1 and analyse a quote for AO2 (and sometimes write a conclusion for a bit extra AO1). And it often seems like rubbish, but as the marker knows you've probably never seen the poem before, most rubbish and really simple points seem to be accepted. My teacher has been giving me good marks, but I don't entirely trust her marking. Last year I guess I would have done something like 'Hannah presents being in love as making the speaker feel hopeful', talk about the repeated line and the repeated structure of contrasting the first 7 lines of each verse with the eight. Then do some more paragraphs on feeling anxious, feeling that love will last a long time (and how she feels about that), maybe on the material effects of love (e.g. monumental phone bill) and talking about whether it's worth it). I kind of just throw out points until I run out of time and hope for the best. (I did come up with those points fairly quickly because we looked at the poem in class).

I'm hoping the poem could be by Maya Angelou or Dorothy Parker.
Original post by Lelanor
Unseen is my favourite part (out of the controlled assessment and the two exams) because it is so much simpler than everything else and I just write 'The poet presents the idea of ____ as _____ ' or something like that for AO1 and analyse a quote for AO2 (and sometimes write a conclusion for a bit extra AO1). And it often seems like rubbish, but as the marker knows you've probably never seen the poem before, most rubbish and really simple points seem to be accepted. My teacher has been giving me good marks, but I don't entirely trust her marking. Last year I guess I would have done something like 'Hannah presents being in love as making the speaker feel hopeful', talk about the repeated line and the repeated structure of contrasting the first 7 lines of each verse with the eight. Then do some more paragraphs on feeling anxious, feeling that love will last a long time (and how she feels about that), maybe on the material effects of love (e.g. monumental phone bill) and talking about whether it's worth it). I kind of just throw out points until I run out of time and hope for the best. (I did come up with those points fairly quickly because we looked at the poem in class).

I'm hoping the poem could be by Maya Angelou or Dorothy Parker.

There's so many poems I haven't really tried to predict it :s-smilie:

Yeah we looked at it in class and I thought I'd talk about the strict stanza structure suggesting love is constant and the repetition of the final line in each stanza highlighting that things are better, maybe talk some rubbish about how being at the end of the stanza shows it's all that matters in the end, and something about the punctuation and so many words making the rhythm like a heartbeat. Not a clue if any of that is right, but like you said you seem to get marks for any interpretation in literature (which is why I like doing the practice papers, it just seems to fall apart because I panic in the exam with such a huge essay to write).

I'm hoping for a conflict poem in the unseen this year because they're nice and easy to talk about (if we'd focused more on conflict in class then that's the poem set I would have gone for). If it's place I'll cry.
Hey, does anyone know the form of "The Ruined Maid" and the effect of it? Also, which poem to compare it with? Thankyou! :kitty::kitty::kitty:
What percentage is this exam, the unit 1 exam and the coursework?
Original post by tessabella
What percentage is this exam, the unit 1 exam and the coursework?

Unit 1: 40%
Unit 2: 35%
Coursework: 25%
Original post by GlassyMarbles
Unit 1: 40%
Unit 2: 35%
Coursework: 25%

thankyou:smile:
Original post by SoDoneWithSchool
I think it's either gonna be give/ruined maid, my teacher said. She's been through the older papers too. But Idk btw.

my teacher said those two too! good one to compare to give is medusa as well guys :smile: just get ur comparative language and alternative interpretations for in depth analysis and you'll be fine !
I'm doing this cluster as well and I was wondering how long I should spend on each para and how much paras should I do for the comparative and unseen poem.
Original post by booksandcats
I'm doing this cluster as well and I was wondering how long I should spend on each para and how much paras should I do for the comparative and unseen poem.

my teacher said around 4 detailed paragraphs in 30 minutes for unseen and 4/5 for comparison in 45 minutes (although I've got band 6's before when only writing 3 detailed paragraphs for comparison before)
If it's Singh Song, i will do the other question no matter what it is lol ... I literally know nothing about it :wink:
I hate Singh Song, My Last Duchess, Ruined Maid, Caeshistory, COMH, LGS. I really hope it's give, and/or medusa and/or The River God

Also, can anyone help me by showing me how to do a point, maybe with an example???
Reply 34
My teacher's predicted Give and The Ruined Maid.

She predicted the Short Stories questions and Of Mice and Men questions for the exam on Monday and got it correct. We even analysed the extract which was in the exam, haha! She gave it to us for a mock. Maybe it was a fluke though aha.
Okay, so how do you make points in your answers, any examples???

And

How do you structure the response to the unseen poem???

Thanks in advance!!
Praying for the ruined maid or even give
Really hoping The Ruined Maid comes up, or a poem/theme that can be compared to it. The Ruined Maid and Give/Casehistory/Les Grands Seigneurs would be a dream for me.
Original post by beccaholland
Really hoping The Ruined Maid comes up, or a poem/theme that can be compared to it. The Ruined Maid and Give/Casehistory/Les Grands Seigneurs would be a dream for me.

Only thing I would compare it too (my strongest poem).

Those two are so OP together ^^
Original post by The-Hof123
Okay, so how do you make points in your answers, any examples???

And

How do you structure the response to the unseen poem???

Thanks in advance!!

Help pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending