The Student Room Group

English lit and maths exam?

I have my maths exam on thursday and my english lit exam on friday. I had one english lit exam today too, and i spent most of my weekend revising for of mice and men, most of which didn't come up in the exam. I plan to revise maths tomorrow and the day after, as i don't feel i have revised maths enough, but i don't know if it's worth revising for my english lit exam ( which is on different books) too as my previous revision for lit wasn't helpful. My english lit exam didn't go as well as i had planned either, and i feel shaken and more nervous for my next lit exam now..
Also, i plan on taking tomorrow of to revise, but i'll miss my english literature lesson so i don't know if it's the best idea

what do you think?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by iamayesha
I have my maths exam on thursday and my english lit exam on friday. I had one english lit exam today too, and i spent most of my weekend revising for of mice and men, most of which didn't come up in the exam. I plan to revise maths tomorrow and the day after, as i don't feel i have revised maths enough, but i don't know if it's worth revising for my english lit exam ( which is on different books) too as my previous revision for lit wasn't helpful. My english lit exam didn't go as well as i had planned either, and i feel shaken and more nervous for my next lit exam now..
Also, i plan on taking tomorrow of to revise, but i'll miss my english literature lesson so i don't know if it's the best idea

what do you think?

I am in the same situation as you. I am planning to revise maths tomorrow and English after maths. I haven't done much of either yet tbh and I also have 2 latin exams, physics and 2 french exams this week.
Reply 2
Original post by niv1234
I am in the same situation as you. I am planning to revise maths tomorrow and English after maths. I haven't done much of either yet tbh and I also have 2 latin exams, physics and 2 french exams this week.

and i thought i had it bad haha. Good luck! I hope you do well.
and i thought i had it bad haha. Good luck! I hope you do well.

Thanks good luck to you too, I am so unprepared for all my exams I have set my alarm for 4:15 tomorrow morning and I really need to go revise. So goodnight.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by niv1234
Thanks good luck to you too, I am so unprepared for all my exams I have set my alarm for 4:15 tomorrow morning and I really need to go revise. So ggodnight.

Aww nightt
Original post by niv1234

which exam board are you doing for French? :smile:

what do you think?

Do you do iGCSE or AQA English?

I also had my English exam today, but luckily the extracts that came up were the ones I practiced! :smile:

I spent the whole night revising for the lit exam on Friday (just finished doing it now), and I'll be skipping school tomorrow and Wednesday to revise for Maths. If I don't get an A* in Maths, I'm going to be disappointed as I've put so much effort in to the subject since I was born... I just hope we don't get a nasty paper like last years... :redface:
Reply 7
Original post by Faizanasif
Do you do iGCSE or AQA English?

I also had my English exam today, but luckily the extracts that came up were the ones I practiced! :smile:

I spent the whole night revising for the lit exam on Friday (just finished doing it now), and I'll be skipping school tomorrow and Wednesday to revise for Maths. If I don't get an A* in Maths, I'm going to be disappointed as I've put so much effort in to the subject since I was born... I just hope we don't get a nasty paper like last years... :redface:

Wjec ..we're on a welsh board for some reason idk why
Ive revised quite a lot for maths over the year, but stopped recently due other subjects so i'm hoping for a good grade too
Hopefully we'll be fine :redface:
Wjec ..we're on a welsh board for some reason idk why
Ive revised quite a lot for maths over the year, but stopped recently due other subjects so i'm hoping for a good grade too
Hopefully we'll be fine :redface:

Yeah same here! last month, I was thinking I should revise for other subjects as I thought I've got a month to revise for maths, and I've recently realised that I don't have that much time for maths! I'm literally going to sweat out maths in the next few days. The past papers I've done I've managed to finish them in around 1 hour with 90+, but we all know that exam pressure screws things up! :eek:
Reply 9
Yeah same here! last month, I was thinking I should revise for other subjects as I thought I've got a month to revise for maths, and I've recently realised that I don't have that much time for maths! I'm literally going to sweat out maths in the next few days. The past papers I've done I've managed to finish them in around 1 hour with 90+, but we all know that exam pressure screws things up! :eek:

90!? that's so good
I keep just missing the A* by a few marks ugh
90!? that's so good
I keep just missing the A* by a few marks ugh

Haha don't worry, you'll get there. Just keep doing past papers, trust me. In this exam I can guarantee you there will be 3 questions which will include box plot, simultaneous equations histograms and cumulative frequency starting at around at around question 15, its always there. Stem and leaf is always the first few questions, then questionnaires etc. And the last question would most likely be vectors or transformations. Just revise these topics thoroughly, and you're guaranteed 80+.

If you notice other questions, they're just topics linked together. For example, the Hannah sweets question had probability tree and factoring; its just the wording that confuses people, and practicing longer questions would help that.

Good luck by the way! :smile:
ahh same, which books are you doing? i'm gonna revise biology tonight n then maths tomorrow, but sorta combine english w maths (i'm just aiming to pass lmao) and cram for english (do like 5/6 hours) thursday night. as long as you know quotes and a few general points it shouldn't be too bad
Reply 12
Haha don't worry, you'll get there. Just keep doing past papers, trust me. In this exam I can guarantee you there will be 3 questions which will include box plot, simultaneous equations histograms and cumulative frequency starting at around at around question 15, its always there. Stem and leaf is always the first few questions, then questionnaires etc. And the last question would most likely be vectors or transformations. Just revise these topics thoroughly, and you're guaranteed 80+.

If you notice other questions, they're just topics linked together. For example, the Hannah sweets question had probability tree and factoring; its just the wording that confuses people, and practicing longer questions would help that.

Good luck by the way! :smile:

Thankss! Good luck to you too :smile:
For transormations do you mean graph function or the reflect/rotate/translate questions?
Reply 13
Original post by Rjhepkenhdjd
ahh same, which books are you doing? i'm gonna revise biology tonight n then maths tomorrow, but sorta combine english w maths (i'm just aiming to pass lmao) and cram for english (do like 5/6 hours) thursday night. as long as you know quotes and a few general points it shouldn't be too bad

A view from the bridge and lord of the flies, what about you?
THANK GOD mice and men is over haha
And think ill be okay in english if i don't panic...i panic too much

Good luck i think you'll pass:smile:

what do you think?

It depends which subject you think is more difficult. I would say that you should definitely spend half of your revision time the night before the English exam doing English because at least then you can feel more confident going into the exam room and you'll be less nervous. for me I find maths easy so i would just revise English but you should do more of the subject you're bad at xx
Reply 15
Original post by abc_123_
It depends which subject you think is more difficult. I would say that you should definitely spend half of your revision time the night before the English exam doing English because at least then you can feel more confident going into the exam room and you'll be less nervous. for me I find maths easy so i would just revise English but you should do more of the subject you're bad at xx

Thanks, i'll spend all of thursday night doing english as maths will be over by then
Im really dreading my next english exam though because of yesterday..and i don't know what to do about it
Thanks, i'll spend all of thursday night doing english as maths will be over by then
Im really dreading my next english exam though because of yesterday..and i don't know what to do about it

I find that with exam boards they balance the difficulty of the papers (so if the first paper is easy the second paper is slightly harder) this will work in your favour so I'm sure the next exam is easier!! Xx
either way you'll do fine :smile: xx good luck
Reply 17
Original post by abc_123_
I find that with exam boards they balance the difficulty of the papers (so if the first paper is easy the second paper is slightly harder) this will work in your favour so I'm sure the next exam is easier!! Xx
either way you'll do fine :smile: xx good luck

Thankyou! :smile: that reassures me a little
Good luck in your exams too
Definitely try and revise for all your exams. Remember if one doesn't go as well. You can always improve your grade by doing well in the second one.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thankss! Good luck to you too :smile:
For transormations do you mean graph function or the reflect/rotate/translate questions?

Thanks :smile: As it is the last question, it would certainly be an A/A* question. I see graph functions on the last question all the time, if not vectors! The other transformations like enlargement etc. is also most likely to come, in fact certainly will come at around question 8 or so. Revise these topics and get 100% on every practice question, then find longer questions so you get used to the wording, it will help you out loads! :wink:

By the way, if you want to do A Level Maths, please do try to get an A*, otherwise you will regret not getting it. Not because it's hard, revising now would be beneficial for next year, so you're not going to start with brand new topics at the start like Chemistry A Level for example :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest