The Student Room Group

Yale University introduces gender-neutral bathrooms

Scroll to see replies

Original post by 0to100
Wait so they're sharing the toilets...? So there's just a little section in the mens toilets for girls who wanna be guys and vice versa...in the facility of their desired sex???
Weird and dangerous.

Well that's what I'm assuming gender neutral means.

I will no longer need to dress up as a woman to see women in the loo haha!
No doubt gender-neutral bathrooms will be abused by perverts and sexual predators. But no one cares about that right?
Original post by Noodle0
No doubt gender-neutral bathrooms will be abused by perverts and sexual predators. But no one cares about that right?

I doubt it, having used gender neutral toilets at my university.

There was also allegedly a rape that occurred in the ladies' toilets at my student union nightclub, so it's not like perverts and sexual predators are restricted currently...
Original post by 0to100
Wait so they're sharing the toilets...? So there's just a little section in the mens toilets for girls who wanna be guys and vice versa...in the facility of their desired sex???
Weird and dangerous.

No, there won't be men's and women's toilets, there will just be toilets.

In my experience, they tend to be off a main corridor and they're self contained units like disabled toilets.

I don't see how they're dangerous, or any more dangerous than men's and women's toilets anyway.
Original post by Dodgypirate
Well that's what I'm assuming gender neutral means.

I will no longer need to dress up as a woman to see women in the loo haha!

Creepy.
Original post by minimarshmallow
No, there won't be men's and women's toilets, there will just be toilets.

In my experience, they tend to be off a main corridor and they're self contained units like disabled toilets.

I don't see how they're dangerous, or any more dangerous than men's and women's toilets anyway.

Wait so hold on you know how the men have their room and the women have theirs? I'm asking (keep in mind I've never seen one of these ok), is gender neutral a separate section for trans people, like their own room where trans men have their own room, and trans women have their own, while "cis" men and women continue to have their own?

Or is it a section for them included in the mens and womens?

Or will there no longer be mens and womens like now and everyone shares like a bleeding sauna or something?
Original post by 0to100
Creepy.

Deal with it :colone:
Original post by 0to100
Wait so hold on you know how the men have their room and the women have theirs? I'm asking (keep in mind I've never seen one of these ok), is gender neutral a separate section for trans people, like their own room where trans men have their own room, and trans women have their own, while "cis" men and women continue to have their own?

Or will there no longer be mens and womens like now and everyone shares like a bleeding sauna or something?

Can anyone answer this pls it's doing my head in, cheers.
Original post by 0to100

Like disabled toilets off a corridor, but many many of them all in the same place.
Reply 29
Original post by 0to100

They are just normal toilets, but some are more spacious and also accessible for those that have disabilities. There are no urinals or a demon summoning devices.

Basically imagine yourself walking in a corridor, and there are a few doors saying toilet. If you are still struggling to imagine, then type it in on Google images:

(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by kkboyk
They are just normal toilets, but some are more spacious and also accessible for those that have disabilities. There are no urinals or a demon summoning devices.

Basically imagine yourself walking in a corridor, and there are a few doors saying toilet. If you are still struggling, then type it in on Google images

Yea I can visualise that but my question is to get to theirs do they have to walk through cis doors?
Reply 31
Original post by 0to100
Yea I can visualise that but my question is to get to theirs do they have to walk through cis doors?

I have updated my original post and included a picture. It's just like any other toilet (except ones in commercial areas), but unisex.
Original post by kkboyk
From The Independent.

What are you lots thoughts on this?

I don't understand why some people are up in arms about this, we have the very same principle in our private homes, don't we?
Original post by 0to100

LMAO
Original post by kkboyk

Basically imagine yourself walking in a corridor, and there are a few doors saying toilet. If you are still struggling to imagine, then type it in on Google images:

I mean you made the thread so I'm guessing you have the answers and didn't post about something you're only half sure about but forgive me for being presumptuous. Anyway one last question: so they're separate facilities. Ok which of the rooms is theirs? Like I can't see the words on the doors lol I think theirs might be that janitor closet looking one lol But how come they get the handle? :unimpressed: haha
Lol what
As a cis, straight female who has on occasions used nominally 'male' toilets (or bathrooms if you want to use the US euphemism) I think more gender neutral toilets will enhance their acceptability, or to be more specific odour, for everyone.

On a more serious note, this is the 21st century - Yale has stepped into it. The world would be a better place if everyone would live and let live. I see no problem with allowing people to choose what name is on THEIR diploma, and deciding what their gender is - male, female, or non-binary.

Doctors are human so some of them will be bigoted, but it still sounds very much like a positive move forwards. I commend Yale for doing what I see as the right thing.
Reply 37
Original post by 0to100
I mean you made the thread so I'm guessing you have the answers and didn't post about something you're only half sure about but forgive me for being presumptuous. Anyway one last question: so they're separate facilities. Ok which of the rooms is theirs? Like I can't see the words on the doors lol I think theirs might be that janitor closet looking one lol But how come they get the handle? :unimpressed: haha

They all are for everyone to use.

That's why I made this thread. Most of the negative comments about them online have have no reasoning whatsoever/
Reply 38
Original post by Noodle0

Police and Women’s Sexual Violence Advocates say NDOs do not Increase RiskExperts on crime, like the police, state over and over again that NDOs do not result in an increase in sexual assault or rape. Spokesmen for police departments in Iowa, Hawaii, Colorado, Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, Minnesota, Nevada, New Mexico, Oregon, Rhode Island, Vermont, and Texas have all gone on record stating that NDOs do not result in an increase in the number of reported rapes or sexual assaults in their jurisdictions. In fact, 17 states and 200 cities have such NDOs in place, and have not had an increase in sexual assault.Similarly, experts who advocate for sexual assault victims in these states with gender identity inclusive NDOs state the same thing: NDOs which include gender identity do not result in an increase in the number of reported sexual assaults.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/brynn-tannehill/debunking-bathroom-myths_b_8670438.html

oh sorry I got lost, can someone show me the way out please?
Original post by kkboyk
They all are for everyone to use.

They what? The new trans facility? Look be patient with me please, this is your time to teach someone who otherwise would react very indignantly about this.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending