The Student Room Group

LAW - Russel group or non-russel?

Which one and why for a law course?

Quite a few people have told me to go to a russel group uni for my law course, not sure why because even non-russel group unis offer the same thing year abroad/placements.

What can a russel group uni give that a non-russel cant?

Is this something important to consider when choosing my choice of uni?
Reply 1
Original post by rkuni16
Which one and why for a law course?

Quite a few people have told me to go to a russel group uni for my law course, not sure why because even non-russel group unis offer the same thing year abroad/placements.

What can a russel group uni give that a non-russel cant?

Is this something important to consider when choosing my choice of uni?

Most of them are target universities for Law. Have a read through this document, which explains what you should consider
Actually read the link.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 3
Thank you ! :smile:
Original post by kkboyk
Most of them are target universities for Law. Have a read through this document, which explains what you should consider
Reply 4
Original post by rkuni16
Thank you ! :smile:

There are certainly a few good non Russell Group unis for Law such as UEA and Leicester, but law firms and chambers more often than not prefer Russell group grads. The Russell Group contains many of the best universities in the UK including Oxford and Cambridge. With law being so competitive, you'll do yourself a favour by going to a Russell Group. For law, it helps get your foot in the door.

As above, the document from kkboyk shows which ones do best with firms.
Reply 5
They definitely prefer Russell group universities (especially magic circle firms) but I have just dropped out of Nottingham University and am moving to Leicester university (after 2 years). Russell group unis tend to give less support and I've found are very unhelpful. So I would recommend a top non-Russell group instead :smile:
Reply 6
What would you say is a top non Russell group uni good for law?
Original post by Pollym31
They definitely prefer Russell group universities (especially magic circle firms) but I have just dropped out of Nottingham University and am moving to Leicester university (after 2 years). Russell group unis tend to give less support and I've found are very unhelpful. So I would recommend a top non-Russell group instead :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by rkuni16

Aston is pretty good plus the placement year is a bonus Hhh
Reply 8
Original post by rkuni16

Leicester or UEA would be the best 2, I would personally have picked Leicester if I had not chosen a RG uni for Law
Reply 9
Yeah Leicester is a good one as well as the London universities and Nottingham Trent has a very good law department.
Reply 10
rkuni16 I would only go for a non Russell Group uni if you don't wish to go into a big city firm or the magic circle. These firms are extremely favouring of Russell Group grads. A non Russell Group should be fine for national, niche, and some regional firms (however Burges Salmon is a top regional firm who take Russell Group grads predominantly) I've got a friend who studied at Bristol uni for Law and got a TC there. The exception to all this would be Leicester as a lot of the magic circle do still visit it and interact with them as well as a lot but not all the major city firms. Just be careful in your choice but overall for non RG I'd say Leicester without doubt
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending