The Student Room Group

Edexcel GCSE Mathematics May/June 2016 Official Thread

Scroll to see replies

Guys I need help and advice!! I've taken a practice maths paper twice and I keep on getting the same marks as I did for my GCSE 3 years ago, can anyone give me some advice on what I should do, I'm trying to get myself a B grade that is 50% so I need like another 15 marks!!
Reply 81
Original post by kasumikat
Guys I need help and advice!! I've taken a practice maths paper twice and I keep on getting the same marks as I did for my GCSE 3 years ago, can anyone give me some advice on what I should do, I'm trying to get myself a B grade that is 50% so I need like another 15 marks!!

Ideally with maths, it's a gradual thing, similar to science. Our school uses MathsWatch, not sure if you do, you probably don't, but it's got every topic with worksheets. If you have a revision guide, try to learn as many basic topics as possible. In the late stage, I don't know if you'll be able to learn harder topics, so I'd say focus on losing as little marks as possible in the first half of the test.

Even on the harder questions, you can still put some things down and get a mark. For example if there's an angle question, you can put down how to get one angle, it's a mark. If you don't know how to do the rest, you can try, but at least you've secured yourself a mark. Same for algebra or re-arranging difficult formulae, do one part of a few, and there's a few marks extra. It won't be huge, but it's more of a safety net. Just try to revise as many topics as possible, and not to lose many marks.
Original post by Klanny
Ideally with maths, it's a gradual thing, similar to science. Our school uses MathsWatch, not sure if you do, you probably don't, but it's got every topic with worksheets. If you have a revision guide, try to learn as many basic topics as possible. In the late stage, I don't know if you'll be able to learn harder topics, so I'd say focus on losing as little marks as possible in the first half of the test.

Even on the harder questions, you can still put some things down and get a mark. For example if there's an angle question, you can put down how to get one angle, it's a mark. If you don't know how to do the rest, you can try, but at least you've secured yourself a mark. Same for algebra or re-arranging difficult formulae, do one part of a few, and there's a few marks extra. It won't be huge, but it's more of a safety net. Just try to revise as many topics as possible, and not to lose many marks.

Thank you, a family friend gave me the mathswatch CD for me to use (I didn't know there were booklets) I've been working some some of the booklets from college and I do have a private tutor but I'm just trying to make it for a B grade to do computer science. I'm going to jump back onto the computer and continue working through the mathswatch CD (I'm going through all the B grade questions)
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by kasumikat

Try and get a few topics that will definately come up in your head. Circle theorems, angle rules, surds and factorising is pretty common.
I can't learn how to do equations. :frown: The thing about taking one from each side or whatever... Has anyone else struggled with this and overcome it? :frown:
Reply 85
Original post by greenmang0
I can't learn how to do equations. :frown: The thing about taking one from each side or whatever... Has anyone else struggled with this and overcome it? :frown:
I'm not the best teacher but let me help.
Say you've got the equation 5x+16=9x+4

I was taught to bring all the xs together and all the numbers together. However, it is key that whenever you bring a term to the other side of the equals sign, you change it's sign. So:

Bring the 4 over to the left:
5x+16-4=9x
Bring the 5x to the right:
16-4=9x-5x
Simplify:
12=4x

Now divide the whole equation by the coefficient of x, in this case 4:
12/4=4x/4 (/ means divided by)
3=x
x=3

And that's your answer:smile:

Hope that helps :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 86
Hegarty Maths has been the most helpful for me, he was nominated for the best maths teacher in the world, i think and i prefer him to mathswatch. Goodluck.

https://mathswebsite.com/
Original post by Vindaloovians
Try and get a few topics that will definately come up in your head. Circle theorems, angle rules, surds and factorising is pretty common.

thank you for your advice, i took another practice one at 12:15pm and my mum marked it and i got 40/100 so its a bit of an improvement but i still need to get at least 10 marks to get that B grade @_@ and i've got 1 and a half days of revision... i'll try and focus on those topics
Non cal topics pls im pretty solid at maths but need to see any topics i dont know yet
I'm still so worried I won't manage a C on foundation, I'm hopeless at maths.
Original post by thatonepunkguy
I'm still so worried I won't manage a C on foundation, I'm hopeless at maths.

im sure you can ^-^ its just remembering the technique :3 if i can pass my English GCSE (at foundation level) and get a C then you can pass your Maths and get a C
Does any one have a rough idea of grade boundaries this year? i have done over 4 past papers and the new predicted paper and keep landing on 60ish marks im hoping for a B at tops.
Hello all. I've just returned to this thread as I am also taking the exam. Mathematics is one of my best subjects (I got 100/100 on a mock at school) and I'm also doing an IGCSE Further Maths qualification so feel free to ask me questions ...
Is finding a number as a product of its prime factors on Foundation?
Reply 95
Original post by greenmang0
Is finding a number as a product of its prime factors on Foundation?

yeah
Original post by TeeEm
yeah

I was looking through past papers and I couldn't find questions involving expressing a number as a product of its prime factors... But I swear it's on there sometimes...
I'm terrified about tomorrow...
Anyone else feeling the fear of tomorrow's paper? I was fine until this morning... Hoping for that A*. Hoping the paper doesn't throw any ridiculous questions at us.
Good luck everyone!
Reply 99
If there is anyone struggling with topic youtube the 'ukmathsteacher' with the topic name

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending