The Student Room Group

Nationalist uprising in Myanmar

Scroll to see replies

Original post by garfeeled
Shouldn't we be better than that. I mean other Muslims have and still do similar things is a pretty weak reason. These are a people undergoing years of oppression of some of the most extreme kind. I have my issues with Islam (and for the most part the prosecution faced by Rohingya people is more extreme than that faced by non Muslims under Islamic rule) but that's largely irrelevant. Religious/ethnic prosecution is wrong the Rohingya deserve better, they are owed better.

To be honest, they were orgininally from Bangladesh, so the best thing for them is to move to Bangladesh
Original post by offhegoes
You do realise that, snappy as that sounds, it just the most awful attitude, right?

No it's not.

Do we tolerate racisum?

Do we tolerate homophobia?

We should not tolerate the intolerable it really is that simple
Original post by Mathemagicien
You are assuming that the man has a better career than his wife. That is increasingly not the case

It is very likely to be the case if a woman spends 7-10 years pregnant or convalescing from pregnancy. It is not necessarily the case in a society where people have 1-2 children in their mid 30s.

As you point out, things have changed, so relying on traditional sex roles is not necessarily a good idea.

Yes, and one thing that has changed to make this possible is that people no longer have half a dozen or more children; indeed no longer have enough children to even replace the population.

Most people don't need to have 7 children. We're far below replacement birth rate as it is, so we can safely have a reasonably large proportion of the population having more children, just to reach replacement rates.

Yes we can - if we roll back feminism. But we seem to be choosing to ramp up feminism instead. Moreover people who support immigration and tolerating non-Western lifestyles mostly also support feminism. If one of them has to go, which? Their position is basically incoherent.
Original post by Redflag99
To be honest, they were orgininally from Bangladesh, so the best thing for them is to move to Bangladesh

Bangladesh doesn't want them back because of their behaviour.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by garfeeled
I know of the Cairo declaration of Islamic supremacism.

A Muslim mainorigy however is not going to enact legal shariah in Britain (thank the Lord)

Not legally no but doesn't stop them from doing this illegally as we have seen.
You do realise that, snappy as that sounds, it just the most awful attitude, right?

Are you making a case that racism should be tolerated?
Reply 46
Original post by Good bloke
Are you making a case that racism should be tolerated?

No, of course not. But seldom has the attitude encompassed in that little soundbite ever achieved anything. To toss it around like the solution to a complicated and entrenched conflict it at best naive and at worst dangerous.
No, of course not. But seldom has the attitude encompassed in that little soundbite ever achieved anything. To toss it around like the solution to a complicated and entrenched conflict it at best naive and at worst dangerous.

Perhaps you can explain the sorts of intolerant behaviour we should be happy to accept then?

Would you be happy to accept vigilante attacks on those that offend people with religious views?

Are you happy for people to patrol their local neighbourhoods, enforcing the behavioural rules of the locals on visitors and passers-by?
Original post by Good bloke
This sentiment is very common but suffers from being utterly thoughtless, and trite. Do you not know the meaning of the word "discriminate"?

I (justifiably and reasonably) discriminate against people who threaten me, or who are violent, or who rob me, or who are dishonest. I actively seek to avoid them at all times. I also discriminate against people who live in the west but who refuse to be assimilated into our society. Such people should live elsewhere.

If seeking to employ someone, I actively discriminate against anyone I suspect is incapable of performing the job well.

A person's being Muslim is not valid grounds for any of those sorts of discrimination.
Original post by anosmianAcrimony
A person's being Muslim is not valid grounds for any of those sorts of discrimination.

As I thought I made clear, I discriminate against people who exhibit particular behaviours (or who advocate them), not those with particular labels.

There are ghettoes of unassimilated Jews as well as Moslems in Britain, and even Hindus. It is the behaviour that is the problem, not the particular superstitious belief that may or may not drive it.

This is demonstrated by plenty of Moslems who are assimilated, having cast aside the grosser aspects of their indoctrinated beliefs and made the sensible decision that superstition is not a sensible way forward in twenty-first century Europe.
Original post by BaconandSauce
working link

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/may/23/no-muslims-allowed-how-nationalism-is-rising-in-aung-san-suu-kyis-myanmar

“No Muslims allowed to stay overnight. No Muslims allowed to rent houses. No marriage with Muslims.”

I see similar laws in Muslim countries and within the Muslim faith so can't see an issue with this I suspect the outrage will be some Muslims complaining they are being treated the same as they would treat others.

But this is the problem with Islamic immigration there is no compromise with the host country so tensions always arise (as we see in every country with a new Muslim community)

Muslim's have been in Burma, for generations, I can relate because I have Burmese Muslim friends* lol chat **** get banged mate

apart from fighting racism and homophobia to name a few examples
Original post by Adzkii786
Muslim's have been in Burma, for generations, I can relate because I have Burmese Muslim friends* lol chat **** get banged mate

and in English?
Original post by Adzkii786

but as I said those who will complain the loudest will be fellow Muslims who are worried they might be treated as badly as Muslim countries treat their minorities.
If the accounts that you reported are accurate, then I can completely agree you that this was barbaric and wrong. It goes against all Orthodox Islamic principles and I can sympathise with how the Buddhists must have felt and their justification for their actions.Now, I also understand where they are coming from in terms of their new laws, doesn't mean its ethically right to discriminate against a group from the actions of a few. It's also interesting to see they current tension between Buddhists and Hindus from this current conflict as seen above. It's hard to tell without knowing both sides of the story but if the report you mentioned was true, it's definitely attributed to the Muslims who catalysed this conflict, and in this case the Muslims are to blame. As a Muslim, I know clearly that if the report you mentioned is accurate (source?) the Muslims are in the error. We are not always the victim, but what you mentioned in terms of atrocities breaks many many rules in Islam.
Ah, thanks dude! Will sure dig for more after my exams, but thanks for the links.

There are so many misconceptions about Salafism or true Orthodox Islam from both the Muslim community and from the general public. The reason is that, to be brutally honest here, this branch of Islamic thinking has been tainted for centuries by the actions of the Kharijites, or as we know them as the good 'ole terrorists. Prophet Muhammed (PBUH) warned about this group, about how they will reappear in every generation...

I have been doing a lot of research about the true Islam, and this branch of Islam seems to be quite interesting. One reason why we don't cover our eyes and blame others is because we know that Muslims are the cause. You hear many Muslims say that ISIS aren't Muslims, and shouldn't be confused. In reality, they are Muslims, nothing is going to stop that. What makes someone a Muslim, Christian or Jew is if they believe in the key principle of the religion, God. If they believe in Allah and Prophet Mohammed, then they are Muslims. Did they misinterpret Islamic texts and twisted it into their own agenda, maybe. Either way, the majority of issues due to Islamic insurgency is due to the misinterpretation of the Holy Book. Muslims have to accept that this is the major problem, and only together can we solve this problem once and for all.

So, without going off on a tangent here, is there any real solutions here. The Buddhists are pissed and I really doubt there is going to be any changes in a relationship especially with the political climate there. Mass deportation will be an atrocity in the eye of liberals, Al Qaeda is spreading like wildfire in SE Asia and in neighbouring countries with them declaring "jihad" in Burma. What are your opinions in terms of solutions?
even muslim countries in SEA does not want to take in rohingya refugees. There is a reason why.

You can't be Buddhist and Muslim. Abrahamic religion rejects the notion of reincarnation. I had a Christian missionary who mocked the idea of reincarnation because he thought I was a Buddhist.

Posted from TSR Mobile
thats on the buddhist side. try telling an islamic cleric that buddhism is not false religion and watch the outrage
Original post by HucktheForde
thats on the buddhist side. try telling an islamic cleric that buddhism is not false religion and watch the outrage

Lol that would be funny. :holmes:

Though I'd like to add, it depends on what cleric you ask :tongue:. The Ahmadiyya prophet, afaik, believed Gautama Buddha did indeed believe in god and preached monotheism, and buddism is not a false religion.

It has to be noted that Ahmadis have a very unorthodox interpretation, and many Muslims believe they aren't muslims. So that puts a stretch on the word "Islamic" according to many people.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending