The Student Room Group

A level choices

Scroll to see replies

Original post by abc_123_
That sounds good!! Have you talked to your teachers to find out what you learn on the A Level course tho (for example my friend wanted to take Physics A Level because she liked space but when talking to her teacher she found out there wasn't a lot to do with space and dropped it) xx
Hope you manage to do all the ones you want :smile: xx

Yeah, I have a list of the topics that you will cover in AS and A2
Original post by zXcodeXz
Yeah, I have a list of the topics that you will cover in AS and A2

Okay well see which topics you don't like that you've studied for GCSE and that could help you make your descision if one subject has a lot that you didn't like on the spec xx
That sounds good!! Have you talked to your teachers to find out what you learn on the A Level course tho (for example my friend wanted to take Physics A Level because she liked space but when talking to her teacher she found out there wasn't a lot to do with space and dropped it) xx
Hope you manage to do all the ones you want :smile: xx
this is it below
Okay well see which topics you don't like that you've studied for GCSE and that could help you make your descision if one subject has a lot that you didn't like on the spec xx

Yeah I like most of the things like mechanics further mechanics particle physics thermodynamics etc
Reply 44
For next year I hope to do Biology, Chemistry, Physics and Maths. The problem is I also want to do further maths and I don't really want to drop the other three what do I do?

You could do Biology, Chemistry, Physics and Maths for the first year and gain an AS Level in Biology, then drop it and pick up Further Maths
Yeah I like most of the things like mechanics further mechanics particle physics thermodynamics etc

Then you should probably choose that if you're interested. If you have the spec for the other subjects you could compare what you don't like and make the right descision or just go on which grades you get.
For example I can't do a subject I don't get an A or A* in for GCSE so if I don't get that I can't do the subject xx
Reply 46
I also plan on taking Maths, FM, Physics and Chemistry. To help me a little I'm taking Additional Mathematics now at IGCSE level.
Original post by d-_-b
I also plan on taking Maths, FM, Physics and Chemistry. To help me a little I'm taking Additional Mathematics now at IGCSE level.

What's that?
Reply 48
im doing maths, further maths, physics, economics, english literature (im in year 12)

definitely take further maths you won't get into a good uni without it
Reply 49
What's that?
Currently busy with Additional Mathematics at IGCSE, which covers some A-Level Maths which will give me a bit of a head start when I do commence with my A-Levels.
Original post by Rimi28
You could do Biology, Chemistry, Physics and Maths for the first year and gain an AS Level in Biology, then drop it and pick up Further Maths

Oh ok.
Original post by d-_-b
Currently busy with Additional Mathematics at IGCSE, which covers some A-Level Maths which will give me a bit of a head start when I do commence with my A-Levels.

Oh nice
Original post by dnr_23
im doing maths, further maths, physics, economics, english literature (im in year 12)

definitely take further maths you won't get into a good uni without it

Yeah I'm planning on to
It does seem like you've decided to take Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Chemistry, which I can totally appreciate because that's what I do (I'm Year 12)
I would just add that if you have an interest in biology there's nothing to stop you pursuing the parts you enjoy, in fact many people say that's the best way to appreciate science, as opposed to studying a fixed curriculum.
Saying all this, Further Maths is easier to self teach than Biology, a friend of mine has done just that (I can't confirm that he's done it well, we'll have to see what grade he comes out with)
Reply 54
Original post by TillSoft
It does seem like you've decided to take Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Chemistry, which I can totally appreciate because that's what I do (I'm Year 12)
I would just add that if you have an interest in biology there's nothing to stop you pursuing the parts you enjoy, in fact many people say that's the best way to appreciate science, as opposed to studying a fixed curriculum.
Saying all this, Further Maths is easier to self teach than Biology, a friend of mine has done just that (I can't confirm that he's done it well, we'll have to see what grade he comes out with)

which exam board are you for physics? how did u find the exam

Oh ok, so you take FM Maths Chemistry and Physics?
Original post by dnr_23
which exam board are you for physics? how did u find the exam

aqa... I didn't think it was awful, but it wasn't great. I was disappointed by how little there was on sub atomic particles and stuff
Oh ok, so you take FM Maths Chemistry and Physics?

Yep. MEI for FM and MAths, AQA for Physics and Chemistry
Reply 58
aqa... I didn't think it was awful, but it wasn't great. I was disappointed by how little there was on sub atomic particles and stuff

same aqa, i thought electricity was awful but the rest was average yeah. was very grateful for the photoelectricity and microwave questions but agree about subatomic particles!! where was the quark structure question?? :'( oh well at least it was better than the specimen papers
Original post by dnr_23
same aqa, i thought electricity was awful but the rest was average yeah. was very grateful for the photoelectricity and microwave questions but agree about subatomic particles!! where was the quark structure question?? :'( oh well at least it was better than the specimen papers

Yeah. I did Electronic products GCSE, which helps a bit with electricity, but it was an awful question. Overall definitely not as bad as the specimen papers thank goodness. Hoping there'll be some subatomic particles on paper 2

Quick Reply

Latest